2020/21 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
As well as a decent shot he put Coleman in and did a few things we did not capitalise on. When we dont play well he gets it . Like when we had Bily, he did some great things that the journeymen in our team never made count. Bernard has talent. Would have liked to see him go 50/50 with Siggy in that central role. He makes space for himself, can beat a player and can find a pass.
First half he did very well. His contributions get overlooked as he won us a lot of set pieces and nearly ended up scoring from one of them. The second half-exposed his weaknesses as he always tires in the second half, but that will happen if you want a player like him to run up and down the pitch for sixty minutes, running at and taking on defenders while being asked to track back and stop them as well.
I can see people's point of view as to his deficiencies yet if we had won/drawn that game yesterday it would have been from his goal and moment of magic alone.
I just don't understand why he gets singled out as there were far worse players than Bernard yesterday whose net contribution was below zero!
I also find it strange how so many of those who are hailing James as the answer also slate Bernard at every opportunity. I think they are in for a rude awakening because from what I have seen so far, James shares a lot of strengths but also weaknesses with Bernard, especially within the context of the kind of premiership game we saw yesterday.
I think both Bernard and James suffer from the lack of quality around them. I noticed yesterday Bernard played a pass to someone and made a darting run into the penalty area, but whoever got hold of it (can't remember) instead of instinctively playing this one-two sent it back out of the box again and the opportunity was gone.

Last edited:
Time to move him on.

He never sat right with me as a signing.

Brazilian
Russian League
Free Signing

Why no one wanted him and it shows.

He isn't good enough and truthfully never has.

*Ukrainian League.

He obviously has a bit of talent but what he tries never seems to come off.

The rare good games he does have he doesn't get picked for another month afterwards for some reason.

He's just rubbish, no end product, he's weaker than my 9 year old, his footballing brain is non existent, the amount of times he tried to pass through a player yesterday was laughable. Its disappointing, he just hasn't worked out, not at all, no matter how many little flashes of 'talent' he may, or not, show. Move on.

These are type of players who meant to be skilful and be able to beat a player and add that extra spice to the side yet he doesn’t do it regular enough

He is alright, good option off the bench but is on high wages. I really wanted him to do well for us but has been underwhelming. If we get a 10mil offer, we should look at selling.

Showed great glimpses that first season. Only shown sporadic flashes since and we can't be paying players 100k a week who serve up the kind of inept performance he put in against West Ham. It was the kind of timid effort you'd expect from an u23 player making his debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.