2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I know his record but he’s still accountable and its very reasonable to question his selection and tactics.

The game is lots to do with what you do with the ball and what you do without it. In possession we carry genuine threat in the top third but I fear we don’t exploit that enough by getting the ball quickly to the players who can hurt the opposition.

Without the ball we are easy to breakdown and score against. A key objective of any coach is to make his team defensively sound. The players are there to be shot at but so is the manager.

The bottom five are currently managed by Wilder, Dyche, Bilic, Parker, and Potter. I think all of them apart from Parker have been touted by some on here as a good choice for the Everton job.

Our manager has the highest win rate of any prem manager we’ve had, and we’re currently 5 points off the top of the league and the season is only a quarter done. He hasn’t had a pre season with us and has only had one transfer window.

Despite the obvious limitations hampering him (other managers recruitment mistakes, financial restrictions from FPP, our never ending injury crisis) he’s still managed to attract James Rodriguez and Allan, turn DCL from a lad some wanted punting to the championship to the leagues top scorer, rehabilitated Digne into probably the best left back in the league again, and even got a tune out of Alex Iwobi.

Yet we are having reservations because managers who are below him in the league have some sort of philosophy but three times CL winner Ancelotti doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing?

Chris Wilder, Dyche, Parker and Potter all have very clear football philosophies as well. Maybe we should have gone for them as some suggested.

It is a myth that the team is rubbish. It's not CL quality, but it's definitely top 10 quality.
The issue is that many of our players that were in the squad when he took over were reputation players.... Been there and done that (so they think)... Delph, Gomes, Siggurdson, Walcott. Sprinkle in a few players who lack a winners mentality Mina, Pickford, Keane, Iwobi and you are left with Richarlison, DCL, Digne, Coleman all of whom cant do it on their own or lack consistency in the case of the full backs.

There is a culture issue and a quality issue.

The culture is that the odd loss is ok, "we go again next week, players need to look at themselves blah blah blah"

Carlo probably does need to adopt a different approach to what he is used to till we get the likes of Delph, Gomes, Mina, Pickford off the payroll and get some players in who have the same mentality as Allan and DCL who are the only ones who have tried the last few games

The players. It doesn't take a genius to work it out. You'd have to be an utter moron to not see it at this point. Manager after manager sacked while a core of players stay around. We have recruited terribly and brought in garbage. Combine that with being trigger happy with managers so we're in a continual state of rebuilding and how could we ever be anything else other then garbage.
Silva was tactically inept, Koeman was mentally lazy and Allardyce was money hungry, it’s never just been the players it’s been the recruitment of managers too

Ancelotti didn’t stop the rot. Duncan Ferguson did.
The team was garbage under Big Dunc for two out of his four games. Both us and Arsenal were trash and settled for a point and we were shocking for the vast majority of the Leicester cup game. The players would of turned on Big Dunc a game or so later anyway if he'd of got the gig full time and he'd no doubt of faced a "fans revolt" long before the season was over.

The players. It doesn't take a genius to work it out. You'd have to be an utter moron to not see it at this point. Manager after manager sacked while a core of players stay around. We have recruited terribly and brought in garbage. Combine that with being trigger happy with managers so we're in a continual state of rebuilding and how could we ever be anything else other then garbage.
The players are different though. You say ‘manager after manager’ but barely any of this lot have been here more than 3/4 years now. Yesterday’s starting eleven had 4 players who came in under Ancelotti, 2 who came in under silva, and 3 who were too young to take any responsibility for any failings prior to the last 12 months or so. Only Keane and Pickford from yesterday’s team were ‘repeat offenders’ if you like, and yet we were still rubbish. It’s a tired excuse that gets rolled out as if we’re still picking a load of players signed by Martinez. We’re not. Brands has signed enough players for an entire balanced match day squad and yet people still want to blame past failures, it’s weird.

Klipperty imprinted his style and system onto the team immediately, it took a while for the success to come but you could see immediately what he was about.
Can you see an ethos, a style of play, an effective system yet with us? It changes from week to week. I know we have injuries every now and then but we should have players who can step in and make a reasonable attempt at maintaining consistency. We look absolutely clueless in an attacking sense.
Yes but he got rid of the rubbish .....not put them on the bench .......

The players are different though. You say ‘manager after manager’ but barely any of this lot have been here more than 3/4 years now. Yesterday’s starting eleven had 4 players who came in under Ancelotti, 2 who came in under silva, and 3 who were too young to take any responsibility for any failings prior to the last 12 months or so. Only Keane and Pickford from yesterday’s team were ‘repeat offenders’ if you like, and yet we were still rubbish. It’s a tired excuse that gets rolled out as if we’re still picking a load of players signed by Martinez. We’re not. Brands has signed enough players for an entire balanced match day squad and yet people still want to blame past failures, it’s weird.
Fitness seems a big issue Leeds from the off looked to have far more pace and intent,even last week at Fulham as the game wore on they had more than us.

...I know his record but he’s still accountable and its very reasonable to question his selection and tactics.

The game is lots to do with what you do with the ball and what you do without it. In possession we carry genuine threat in the top third but I fear we don’t exploit that enough by getting the ball quickly to the players who can hurt the opposition.

Without the ball we are easy to breakdown and score against. A key objective of any coach is to make his team defensively sound. The players are there to be shot at but so is the manager.

Maybe Ancelotti has had a look at it and gone ‘you know what, these defenders are rubbish (which they are) and so is my goalkeeper, rather than focusing on getting my world class front three to defend, I’ll let them attack, and we might lose some games but we’ll win some as well, and that’s a better plan than relying on Keane and Pickford to concentrate for more than five minutes’

Losing to Leeds is disappointing, but beating Fulham gets us more points than drawing both games 0-0 with two solid clean sheets which some of our previous managers would have been made up with. Despite some dodgy performances at times it’s only been the Southampton and United games we’ve not been in as a contest. A bounce of the ball of VaR call the other way and we could have beaten Newcastle and Leeds whether undeservedly or not.

Isn’t this what people cried out for? All those fed up by Moyes, Koeman, Allardyce, Silva. ‘I don’t want to see 4231, KITAP1 is killing me, we’ve got no formation flexibility, same names every week, we don’t play it on the deck, we’re awful to watch no excitement at all, we don’t carry threat away from home, I’d rather lose more games if it meant we won more’

All sounding familiar? Now we have a manager who has us playing on the deck, we play some of the best attacking football in the league, we can cut teams down away from home. we literally can’t do KITAP1, we change formations, we change players, we draw far less games, we’re far more open and exciting even in a loss.

But lo and behold some people don’t want that now, ‘give us a bloke with a philosophy who is building something, a young coach who doesn’t have outdated methods, with a clear formation that he doesn’t change’. Why don’t we just go and get Martinez or Silva back then? We really have come full circle. All these flavour of the month shouts will be forgotten about in a second when they’re relegated in their second season (or even this one the rate some are going)

Bielsa (still currently below us in the table), Pochettino, Hasenhuttl, Nuno - Ancelotti couldn’t wipe his backside on a combined list of their achievements in the game. Bielsa had a decent side at Bilbao and that’s all he’s done as well as failing multiple times to get the championships best team out the division. Poch lost a title race to Leicester and didn’t win a bean with one of the worlds best strikers in his team. Why are we even comparing Ancelotti to them? He might lose one off games to all of them but over the longevity of time one simple truth prevails. Ancelotti wins trophies, loads of them, all the others don’t.

How ironic that the club who hasn’t won a single trophy for 25 years us some fans who are questioning the bloke who is probably the surest bet there is for ending that drought and are instead suggesting managers who have won very little.

And this is the issue - its either Ancelotti isn't getting the best out the squad or his hands are tied by poor recruitment.

Yet the media and fans want to keep blaming the ghost of Christmas Past Walsh which as you say barely any players of Walsh still get in the side.

For me its 70% Brands & 30% Carlo

Hence why Brands has to go ASAP however Carlo isn't fully blameless his tactics and team selections have been pish poor.

Gomes on the wing
Davies/Iwobi as wing backs
Not giving Gordon or Nkounkou a shot
Siggurdsson Captain

Deary me

Fitness seems a big issue Leeds from the off looked to have far more pace and intent,even last week at Fulham as the game wore on they had more than us.
The minimum you expect fitness and we are not, even the younger players look slow ffs, what on earth are they doing at finch farm is anyone's guess

Its not. Our team is utter garbage. Some of our fans just wildly overtrate anyone who plays for us. We've had our pants pulled down for bang average to garbage players time after time after time.
Allan, JR, Godfey and AD are Ancelotti signings. Makes up 4/11 of the team. Richarlison, DCL and Digne. Some believe these players are among the best in their respective positions in the PL. These players make up 7/11 of the team. Pickford and Keane are English national team players. They may not be top quality, but they are not rubbish. These players make up 9/11 of the team.

Then we have players like Mina, Gomes, Iwobi, Olsen, Gylfi, Coleman who have all been / or are national team players. We also have Kenny who played in the Bundesliga last year, and who I would say is an ok squad player. Furthermore, many rate Holgate highly. My point is not that everyone here is a world-class player, but it is a team that is more than good enough to get into the top 10 in the PL. I think anyone neutral will say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.