2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a peculiar one with James you don't really want him defending because of the talent he has in his boots but it's not something you can just shrug your shoulders at either

Just had a look at that - basically saying his off the ball movement (or lack of) is responsible for 4 of the recent goals we've conceded.

You don't sign a player like that and expect him to graft like the rest of the team, there needs to be a tactical choice for someone to cover him. Not make him run around all game instead
I can honestly say that regardless of what some pretend journo says, 0.0 percent of our defending and attempting to not concede should ever be dependent on James. If hes our supposed last line, or 9th to last line of defense, we have major issues. There should be another 9 guys more responsible than him on every play.

I cant remember the last time I blamed DCL for allowing a goal on some guys shot from the top of the 18, but it was never.

Just had a look at that - basically saying his off the ball movement (or lack of) is responsible for 4 of the recent goals we've conceded.

You don't sign a player like that and expect him to graft like the rest of the team, there needs to be a tactical choice for someone to cover him. Not make him run around all game instead
No idea what 4 goals they’re talking about. Off the top of my head, despite numerous mistakes, I don’t think any of the 3 for Unt were down to him. Or the 6 we conceded against NU, Southampton or them.

I can honestly say that regardless of what some pretend journo says, 0.0 percent of our defending and attempting to not concede should ever be dependent on James. If hes our supposed last line, or 9th to last line of defense, we have major issues. There should be another 9 guys more responsible than him on every play.

I cant remember the last time I blamed DCL for allowing a goal on some guys shot from the top of the 18, but it was never.
Our defending shouldn't be dependent on him, but that doesn't mean his role in defending isn't important. I don't know what instructions he's given, but it's clear that he hasn't really been switched on defensively over the last few games. That's fine in theory, but it depends what the team is set up to do. If he's supposed to be tucking in and helping out defensively then clearly it is a massive problem if he's not doing it. Defending isn't just the back 4, if the team has a plan and he doesn't play his part then the plan won't work, so that would need to be addressed. If he's given licence to skip his defensive role then i'm fine with that, but we need to wise up tactically. We can't push the full back on and have Allan and Doucoure haring round the midfield if James isn't going to do anything defensively. You can see just by watching the games that it's been a problem, I just don't know if it's James or Ancelotti that's causing it.

Our defending shouldn't be dependent on him, but that doesn't mean his role in defending isn't important. I don't know what instructions he's given, but it's clear that he hasn't really been switched on defensively over the last few games. That's fine in theory, but it depends what the team is set up to do. If he's supposed to be tucking in and helping out defensively then clearly it is a massive problem if he's not doing it. Defending isn't just the back 4, if the team has a plan and he doesn't play his part then the plan won't work, so that would need to be addressed. If he's given licence to skip his defensive role then i'm fine with that, but we need to wise up tactically. We can't push the full back on and have Allan and Doucoure haring round the midfield if James isn't going to do anything defensively. You can see just by watching the games that it's been a problem, I just don't know if it's James or Ancelotti that's causing it.
James is literally the least important defender on the entire field. Saying one goal came because of him, okay. Saying the last 4 is absurd, ridiculous, and pretends that if he doesnt do "his job"(which is not to defend) the 10 guys behind him arent most responsible.

He is, by design, the least responsible person for any goals we give up in almost all cases.

James is literally the least important defender on the entire field. Saying one goal came because of him, okay. Saying the last 4 is absurd, ridiculous, and pretends that if he doesnt do "his job"(which is not to defend) the 10 guys behind him arent most responsible.

He is, by design, the least responsible person for any goals we give up in almost all cases.

I've read the piece in The Athletic and I don't think it's blaming him at all, just highlighting that there's plenty of opportunity to get at us with a two on one vs our right back because James doesn't always track back.

That's not to say he is always supposed to, but when he doesn't someone else needs to help out. It's no coincidence that a lot of goals in the last few weeks have come from attacks down that side, but I don't think anybody is putting that all on James. As you say, there are ten other players in the team. It is definitely a structural issue with the way we set up and a weak spot.

Fortunately, for the four goals we have conceded that have come down our right side this season, James has contributed to nearly three times that going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.