2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is that Everton are missing that kind of striker. Calvert lewin has come on Massively in the last year, but is a poacher. We need a striker who can makes things happen on their own. Richarlison could be the player, but that means we still need a sides attacking player. Maybe zaha was the answer after all?

I agree, Richarlison is that player. Having another as depth would be absolutely ideal. Completely agree.

But I don't think it is fair to have a crack at Dom for that, for that is not his role, which the wise Everton player hater @orly was saying before.

Dom doesn't enough credit for his all round game in my view, which is still developing. I really feel his contribution over the last two weeks has been excellent when left completely isolated. And he still provided an assist this week.

I think the point is that Everton are missing that kind of striker. Calvert lewin has come on Massively in the last year, but is a poacher. We need a striker who can makes things happen on their own. Richarlison could be the player, but that means we still need a sides attacking player. Maybe zaha was the answer after all?
I think the next step for DCL is to add goals where you don't actually expect him to score. It's not necessarily making things happen on your own, but those ones where you just spin at the edge of the box and put it in the corner, or pluck a ball out of the air with your first touch and smack it across the keeper with your second. He's doing brilliantly at the moment, but he does seem reliant on good service, and he won't always get it. It's not a criticism, that's just the next thing he needs to add to become a top class striker.

I think the next step for DCL is to add goals where you don't actually expect him to score. It's not necessarily making things happen on your own, but those ones where you just spin at the edge of the box and put it in the corner, or pluck a ball out of the air with your first touch and smack it across the keeper with your second. He's doing brilliantly at the moment, but he does seem reliant on good service, and he won't always get it. It's not a criticism, that's just the next thing he needs to add to become a top class striker.

Agreed.

In the derby, when he had that shot which led to our first goal was kind of like that.

Nothing really on but he ran the channel and then got off a brilliant shot which, at the very least, was going to force a save.

Think he was great the other day. Issue is we're just going to have to flog him.

Being a lone striker for us is the hardest job in football. ie trying to score with about 0.1 chances per game most weeks.

Its why our best striker of recent memory is Rom who was just a lethal finisher and who could score out of very little creation.

When Richy comes back and he has some tangible support up front, I'm sure he will start scoring again. He was like an Island on Saturday.

I'd rather have another option who has those traits. I don't think calvert lewin will ever become a complete striker. He should stick to what he's good at and he'll be very successful at it. It's better in the games where he isn't getting the chances to play a different type of striker. I think that is richarlison (if we can keep him). They means we need another wide player.

I'd rather have another option who has those traits. I don't think calvert lewin will ever become a complete striker. He should stick to what he's good at and he'll be very successful at it. It's better in the games where he isn't getting the chances to play a different type of striker. I think that is richarlison (if we can keep him). They means we need another wide player.
We need both really. Again, it's not a criticism of DCL at all but you'll only get so far with a striker who can only put away one touch finishes. It's not about being a complete striker, but the requirement to turn half chances into goals is a pretty key one if you want to be successful.

....thought Maguire was excellent for United, DCL is a real handful and he managed him very well.
Yep, he did well against him.

Dom latched onto Lindelof as much as possible outside of United's box (which is what led to our goal) but when he was getting in for a cross, Maguire marked him very well.

I wrote this on it on Saturday, actually.

We need both really. Again, it's not a criticism of DCL at all but you'll only get so far with a striker who can only put away one touch finishes. It's not about being a complete striker, but the requirement to turn half chances into goals is a pretty key one if you want to be successful.

Developing into a very good centre forward, leads the line well, holds up well and is becoming a slotter.

I've always rated his general play, but, never thought he would score enough goals.

Watching Ollie Watkins last night, now there’s a good all round striker

Put Grealish and Barkley behind DCL and you'd see the same.

Put Richarlison and James behind James and you'll see the same again.

Put Iwobi, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Tosun etc around DCL and you'll see a player working his socks off but fighting a losing battle.

We have the top scorer in the PL, and he does not even take our penalties. Against Manchester United, he was a one-man army. Several times he won an aerial duel, won the second ball himself, but had to wait 45 seconds before the closest teammates managed to come to support him. I would like to see some other strikers in PL do the same, something I doubt. He was also deprived of a goal by Digne, who chose to shoot from an almost impossible angle. He is not perfect, and still has areas he needs to improve. But the support he has received from his teammates in recent matches is pathetic.

Put Grealish and Barkley behind DCL and you'd see the same.

Put Richarlison and James behind James and you'll see the same again.

Put Iwobi, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Tosun etc around DCL and you'll see a player working his socks off but fighting a losing battle.
So good he can play anywhere ;)

Tbf to Bernard, I think he played well the other day. Always tried to make something happen and took his goal really well.

He's much more effective starting games. It always feels like he's playing catch up when coming on as a sub.

But yeah, we obviously need better, I just think he can really add something - but obviously Rich is first choice for the left role

Status
Not open for further replies.