2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how we're attacking players mental health now in regards to their signing.

Go 'ed lads you're all boss.
Mental health means nothing. With a bad knee you are infirme. The some with bad mental health.They get millions to perform. Its a dark dark world out there. If you cant cope stay at home and give the millions back. Thats the only decent thing to do.

He's better than we what we had, but the squad is still a work in progress. The fact Carlo doesn't have faith to put in his back ups for left wing and right wing suggests this will be the main area of focus.

I also think Andre gomes needs to be pushed down the pecking order. It seems like every time the dust settles it feels like we still need another 6 players in the next window.

It's not coming together for him, so I think the answer is somewhere in between.
There is a guy at Lille he is great. Put Brands out of his misery and get the Lille guy in!

His biggest concern is that he has players who are only have been attracted by how much money we give them.

In the past that how we got the likes of Bolasie, Walcott, Mina, Delph, Sigurdsson etc etc.

Now though, we have Carlo which opens up a better standard of footballer and our wages are up there with the best so if we can shift those turds out of the club, we make room but that better standard of footballer which we have seen this season.

I doubt we can under the current climate so we have to wait for those 2021 contacts:
Besic, Bolasie and Pennington to expire or loan them out or hope teams who are in relegation or promotion battles take a punt on those on the cusp of our first team like:
Bernard, Tosun, Davies, Iwobi.

Wages are crippling us but we are freeing up as much as we possibly can so I expect us to still try to strengthen in January with the odd loan but the future of transfers is looking very difficult and different then it was when Moshiri handed Walsh a suitcase full of pinkies and we went out and bought tatt.

Objectively his position has to be in danger, if Moshiri applies the same degree of ruthlessness shown with managers.

To what extent he has ingratiated himself enough to be in the inner circle or not will dictate matters I would think. The directorship won't count, that was just an administrative exercise.

His position vis a vis the first team has become less critical since Ancelotti arrived and is driving the transfer process, and like everything else it can't be change for changes sake.

If there is someone out there considered to be better then that's the route we should go down.

There are two lessons for us, one from Walsh, and one from Brands.

First, if we are re-filling the role, it has to be a person with actual role-specific experience, but secondly, I'd rather it was someone who has cut their teeth at a club in one of the stronger leagues, rather than someone with experience solely in Holland, or comparable countries like Portugal.

How is our financial situation?

There are a lot of clubs struggling to stay afloat and this pandemic isn't ending any time soon

So there will be plenty of players available in January.

Isco will be super cheap. But what else can we count on? We need 1 more starter level attacker and a good RB back up

No one really knows. But not in a bad way. The rules that were in place pre covid about what you could spend, are at best, unclear now. We have these weird sponsorship deals with essentially, the owners mate/boss/partner, which we dont how will be presented in the accounts.

So on the legal basis, not a clue.

But on the basic "do we have money?", the answer is Yes, (sort of; see above).

His biggest concern is that he has players who are only have been attracted by how much money we give them.

In the past that how we got the likes of Bolasie, Walcott, Mina, Delph, Sigurdsson etc etc.

Now though, we have Carlo which opens up a better standard of footballer and our wages are up there with the best so if we can shift those turds out of the club, we make room but that better standard of footballer which we have seen this season.

I doubt we can under the current climate so we have to wait for those 2021 contacts:
Besic, Bolasie and Pennington to expire or loan them out or hope teams who are in relegation or promotion battles take a punt on those on the cusp of our first team like:
Bernard, Tosun, Davies, Iwobi.

Wages are crippling us but we are freeing up as much as we possibly can so I expect us to still try to strengthen in January with the odd loan but the future of transfers is looking very difficult and different then it was when Moshiri handed Walsh a suitcase full of pinkies and we went out and bought tatt.

If Carlo had been our manager damn sure none of that would have got near us.

I am not a big fan of Brands, but, neither do I subscribe to the school of thought which portrays him as a ‘Dutch Divvy ‘ . I just can’t get my head around the fact that an experienced football man like Brands, watched Iwobi playing and sanctioned paying 30 million plus for him and god knows how much in wages. Iwobi would have been worth a punt for 8 million or so, but, even then, we should not have signed him.

I think we should extend his contract as he seems to work well with Carlo. On the other hand, if he sanctioned that level of outlay on Iwobi, we have to accept that, like many of his signings, Brands has a mistake in him.

my concern with brands is that he's not doing enough homework into the mentality of the players we are signing. we seem to have too many players on the last big pay-check of their careers who have accepted life on easy street since signing.

How has Leicester put together a much better team during Brands’ time here when he has had more money to spend and hasn’t had to sell any key players?
Simple answer, they switched managers from a poor one to a competent one who had been winning trophies for fun in a poor league but kept stability. We brought Brands into a car crash situation having gone through 3 managers in one season and asked him to try and clear it and improve which he’s done a mixed job at at best with one poor manager and one World Class one

Status
Not open for further replies.