Match Thread Southampton v Everton (Sunday 25 October 14:00)

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This next game will tell a tale. I fear that the loss of Richarlison will take a toll. It's one game at a time, but a result here would consolidate the start. Villa will likely be top by the time we kick off, so this is an interesting test of our conviction. Are we going to defend the league leadership or attack it?

I hope Sigurdsson returns in place of Gomes. For balance, I'd have Gordon instead of Richarlison, but suspect Iwobi will get the nod. I really don't rate him at all, so I think we're significantly weaker for this one thanks to that rush of blood to the head on Saturday.

It's games like this that Iwobi needs to prove skeptics like me wrong. Gomes didn't on Saturday.

I imagine we'll play more defensive these next two weeks like we did away at Spurs/Palace. Important we take our chances when we get them especially with Richarlison out.

Might prove to be a blessing that Richy is out for a while: should see his injury problem properly overcome.

I'm happy to trust whatever team Carlo chooses to put out. Doesn't need a genius to guess that he'll be as keen as any of us on the good run continuing & he seems to know a bit about futbol.

If the team fail to win by a margin of 5, then he's definitely a fraud who should be hounded out of the country.

Fickle? Moi?

Then we can release him on our tough winter run-in. He will be itching to catch up on DCL.

southampton are a strange team. if their gameplan works they're usually quite good but it often backfires on them. all their center backs (stephens, vestergaard, bednarek) are good defensively but slow, but hasenhüttel insists on a high line. since they're at home (although it barely matters with no fans) it should be easier to hit them on the break, richarlison would have destroyed these with his pace and agility

Dont rub it in lad :(

Bernard has pace Carlo just doesn't rate him. Will have that big Turkey out wide instead.

Pickford
Godfrey Mina Keane Digne
Douc Allan Siggy
James DCL Gordon

that for me. Gomes has to be given time out Tempting to replace him with Delph but he passing range isn’t nearly close to Siggy or Gomes .. so Siggy for me who can also get into the final third and do something. Let’s not play scared of Southampton..
Gordon is far more exciting than Iwobi in terms of running at defences and creating something. Iwobi just doesn’t seem particularly mobile to me. Unless Bernard is central he must stay at home. Rubbish on the wing.

if Coleman can play I might start Godfrey centrally. But wouldn’t have JJK and Godfrey together.

There will come a time when other teams will respect us as being a dangerous team and so will not come out and attack us, leaving us space to cause damage. That's going to be a big test for us. I don't think we're there yet though. I still think teams like Southampton will feel quietly confident they can get a result, so let's get back to winning ways.

There will come a time when other teams will respect us as being a dangerous team and so will not come out and attack us, leaving us space to cause damage. That's going to be a big test for us. I don't think we're there yet though. I still think teams like Southampton will feel quietly confident they can get a result, so let's get back to winning ways.
This may be our biggest test yet; no Richy, Ings in form and away from home. This is the type of game we really need to score first in and be disciplined at the back. We have the quality to win but this one will be all about mentality after being scrutinised so much after the derby. More James magic please x

This may be our biggest test yet; no Richy, Ings in form and away from home. This is the type of game we really need to score first in and be disciplined at the back. We have the quality to win but this one will be all about mentality after being scrutinised so much after the derby. More James magic please x

These next 2 games are about being disciplined and no silly mistakes at the back and particular from Pickford.

If we do our job well it should be 2x wins.

I am not worried at all about Iwobi coming in, he has lifted his game from last season, every time he has played so far this season. He will be thinking to himself that he has 3 games to give the manager something to think about when Richarlison comes back. Southampton are a decent side but they have got some slow cbs, we can definitely get in behind these.

Big chance for those challenging for LM position, we will have to adapt our style if we go with Iwobi. This would ruin Silva, but we got the ever tactically flexible don Carlo now. I'm expecting to see a more central game with the occasional cross whipped in from Digne

If we are serious about getting into the top 4 this is the type of game we should be winning, Southampton are decent and have Ings who is nailed in to score past us like he does every game but we have a far better team than these

Status
Not open for further replies.