Proposed changes to the Premier league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boils down to something very simple for me that’s sporting integrity.

Why to the turnstiles tick, jerseys sold, atmospheres made. It’s because of sport. The basic premise is your team competing against another on an equal footing to be the best. That’s the hook.

This leverages it in the favour of the top clubs and likely are own. However I’d forgo the advantage to maintain the purity of the game. I know I’m being idealistic and business and finance is an important factor in dictating sporting outcomes in the contemporary game. But this enshrines it for ever more, it’s an anti competitive practice and quite frankly a fairy tale killer.

I’m not surprised this has come from what are essentially Corporate America owned clubs in Mordor and Utd.I susepect Arsenal would be strongly on board to, Spurs are opportunistic and Chelsea and City wouldn’t need much convincing given their ownerships.

But there is more at stake here then individual interests it’s the integrity of the game and control of English football.

My own assessment is this proposel is a negotiating tactic with the PL, we will see water downed concessions to some clubs to keep the status quo, the leak is purposeful and strategic. I hope we all we can to resist this, whether we will or not is a different question.
I don't know why barbs are being thrown at American sports in this thread when our sports are fairer than anything football has offered in a solid 30 years and in most countries in Europe ever. Yeah, having franchises does prevent any club from randomly making the top level, but it also gives 30 cities a chance to win a title in a way football doesn't and hasn't. American sports are at the same time massive money making ventures for billionaires (bad) and entertaining and balanced athletic competitions (quite good). Football is one and not the other.

I agree, I dont like it, the PL should be a meritocracy where teams should not be handicapped because of their "klout" or "tv ratings"; but I don't think there is a need to throw the baby out with the bath water, some of the ideas are solid. There is simply too much football. Four games would make a huge difference

Another snippit which would be brilliant drama is giving the 18th team in the PL a lifeline and adding them in with 3 rather than 4 playoff teams from the championship

Your point on too many games in a 20 team league is a moot one mate - if they get an 18 team league, they have already said that they will have more "lucrative" preseason tours on foreign fields like Asia and the Americas, so they can fleece their telly clapping fanbases even further with pointless tourneys with nothing at stake but how much replica club tat they can flog, and play even more games?!

Why should the league format change or the League cup be lashed in the bin, just to accommodate that load of codswallop?!

It's a carve up pure and simple - the so called big 6 want to close the shop and keep theirs, and only their snouts in the swill, none for us and the rest, and to effectively try and hold the EFL ransom with the bail out money on the back of this, makes me sick to my stomach.

I guarantee that they will vote out our special status as soon as they are able, and we will be in the same sinking ship as every other club. Everton should have absolutely bugger all to do with this travesty. Any way you slice this, it's rotten.

That said, I don't think we should be naive. While many of us here probably think Everton should vote against these proposals to avoid being basted in the Christmas oven, we should pause to consider if Usmanov, I mean, Mr. Moshiri sees us as every-bit-the-equal of the Sky 6. After all, with the ownership of a traditional powerhouse secured, a brand new mega stadium in the works to narrow the gap in matchday revenue, and a real chance to make a run at closing the gap on clubs whose incomes were more heavily weighted to now disappeared match-day incomes, I suspect our owners are very comfortable at the top table and have little fear of six outvoting the rest when that six, in their minds, will be seven. Even if Liverpool or United, in particular, are given more TV revenue than us, we'll be getting far more than at least 11 others - with next to no chance of relegation. Our owners' calculation might be that we would have enough to be competitive and the difference maker would not be the financial disparity but the decision-making and strategy (e.g., Ancelotti v. Solskjaer) that they no doubt pride themselves on. It's all a game to these guys...

Their view will be that if we are already up the ladder before it can be retracted, then we have little to fear. In that sense, I would not be surprised if we disappoint a lot of our fans by doing what we did in 1992: leading the breakaway. This time, however, we are almost certainly in a better place to profit from it. That is little consolation, though, if the game is to be taken further away from the vast majority.

Without a chance to veto a proposal from the 6 clubs we shouldn't even consider. Not that I'd want them to even if it required 7 votes.

You have to think why they would invite 9 but only want to use 6. Teams/individuals should not be in charge of the competitions they partake in, they can't help but try and use that to their own advantage instead of creating a level playing field. An independent governing body needs to be in charge to ensure this.

I would agree that the League Cup is pointless. It is the FA cup minus the multiple play-in rounds and just adds a lot of extra games to tax the health of the teams that stay in for a bit.

Why would they want to abolish the Charity/Community Shield?

It is a great fixture for getting players match fit just before the season starts.

And it raises money for good causes.

Still....that won’t worry the RS any.
They want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to both make as much money as they possibly can from the PL and those TV rights while also clearing enough from the schedule so that they can be in an expanded CL and make more money from that TV. They also want to be able to do those summer tours that rake in cash in the Americas or the Far East. It is all about money for them and the Community Shield isn't doing that. The League Cup isn't either. The FA Cup won't last much longer.

Theoretically, couldn't another group of 6, 8, 10, 12, or 14 other premier league clubs put forward a similar proposal, that hands these additional powers to clubs other than the 'big six'.

So Everton, Leicester, Wolves, Aston Villa, Newcastle and West Ham could get together and put forward the same proposal but say "Hey, we're the six that gains the additional powers, NOT YOU!"

Imagine that! Imagine the response of the 'big six', if another group of 6 clubs, or the 'smaller 14' got together and turned the table right on it's head, so that they obtained the additional powers, and the 'big six' got the treatment that they want to offer everyone else!

We should do it, imo!

Get the 'smaller 14' to become the rule makers!

They want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to both make as much money as they possibly can from the PL and those TV rights while also clearing enough from the schedule so that they can be in an expanded CL and make more money from that TV. They also want to be able to do those summer tours that rake in cash in the Americas or the Far East. It is all about money for them and the Community Shield isn't doing that. The League Cup isn't either. The FA Cup won't last much longer.

Why won't the FA Cup lasting much longer?

Have these 2 disgusting clubs spoke to tjer other clubs. Have we been included in these talks?

Fancy saying we will help lower league clubs but we must have these new powers. Wow football is disgusting.

My guess is the greed running the game will decide that it doesn't make enough money and aim to kill it. Maybe that'll be too dramatic and the mega-clubs will just withdraw, but something major will happen.

Not a chance. It is still high in the list of priorities and shown around the world. That helps boost that (or even both finalists) club's and FA's status. There are only a few competitions to lift a trophy and the League and CL are harder to win. Utd didn't get world famous in the 90's to early last decade by finishing 2nd to 7th each year! If they become us with a lengthy period without silverware then their fans and sponsorship will start to shrink.

What I would agree with you is of course until they award the winner with a CL spot the league will be deemed more important due to the extra money that can be made. The big clubs have the squad depth usually to handle this though and they will try to progress in both.

The Premier League is seething, even this government has baulked at the proposal. And of course any sane fan of sport is just laughing at this self serving proposal by Liverpool FC and Manchester United FC.

Status
Not open for further replies.