Match Thread Everton v West Ham Utd - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gutted about the injuries. Richy and Allan are 2 of our best 4 players and the drop off is significant without them

Really hope neither one miss any significant time. Or any time at all.

Though very happy our team had a good performance

I'd far rather it had been a poor 2-1 with the reserves and no injuries, real sickener

Fielding such a strong side and picking up such possibly serious injuries could signal a real turning point in our season, a real step backwards.

Gutted.
Though if we played a weakened team and lost it could have affected our momentum. WH are a decent side and it's clear we want to go far in this competition, Im happy we took it seriously but obvs disappointed about injuries

DCL reaction

I'm enjoying my football which is the main. The chances are being created and it's my job to put them in the back of the net.
It's my dream to play for England but I can't control that. I can only control what I'm doing on the pitch.
We've got players who are capable of scoring from different positions on the pitch which is helpful for me.
I enjoyed all my goals. It's nice that what I'm working on off the pitch, is coming off on the pitch.
With the players we've got and the chances we're creating, I never had any doubt we'd win the game. Long may it continue.
The other one is still in the boot of my car at the moment! I'll find a nice space for it in my house, my mum's house or my dad's house.

Ancelotti reaction
I'm very pleased. We played well, we had it under control. When West Ham equalised, we didn't lose focus, concentration or motivation. It was good.
He [Lewin] is more focused in the box. He is efficient and really clinical. It was a fantastic first goal. He can go, he can stay (with England). It doesn't matter, it's not my problem.
We started really well this season but our target is the same, to be in Europe next season. We have to be focused because the season is so long.
I think it will not be so bad, we will check tomorrow. It seems not so bad.

Ancelotti on Ben Godfrey
I cannot tell. He's a fantastic player but he plays for Norwich, not for Everton.

Irvine has arrived
Very disappointing. There were some good things in the first half, second half we got off to a great start but then we conceded three really poor goals. All preventable.

Moyes' return
We try to pass the messages on but, in the end, we need David back as soon as we can

New players
Not that I am aware of. One of the things David has been able to focus on is looking for players. But I don't know any of the details.

Defending
I was bitterly disappointed with the way we defended for all three of the goals. We talked in the build up that Richarlison wants to open up shooting opportunities and that shouldn't be allowed.

Lack of subs
We have a group of players that have done well in the competition and they were looking for their opportunity to show what they were doing against a Premier League team.
We were mindful that they deserved tonget a good run out. They are all first teasm players, internationals. Players who came here for a lot of money. It wasn't a case of fielding a weakened team.
We felt at 2-1 we were very much still in the game. It wasn't a case of thinking we are out of it now.

Wow, the negativity from some of our fans on social media is really ridiculous, predictable but ridiculous. A slight whiff of trouble/adversity and all positively disappears into a black cloud of despair and moaning. The same clowns cryarsing most about the team selection and the injuries would be screaming from the rooftops if we'd played the reserves and crashed out. Thankfully we finally have a manager who takes these cup games seriously and plays to win. The losers mentality of sacrificing "lesser games" isn't a thing for winners like Anchelotti.

Status
Not open for further replies.