Match Thread Crystal Palace v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Palace can’t cry arse about that pen after the one they got last week ffs.

I don’t like the rule, but that one was clear, no deflections or bobbles, his arm is outstretched and Richie’s header hits it, if it doesn’t that ball gets to DCL.

Solid performance against a very decent side, who worked very hard and never gave us any time on the ball.

Dacoure reminded me a lot of Idrissa Gueye today in his overall game.
Does a lot of hard work, good chasing, ball winning. But then gives it away cheaply with a bad pass.
That was a tough game today, yet we started very brightly.
They never faded. We looked jaded. Our subs didn't strengthen the team.
Our fullbacks were pushed right back 2nd half as Palace piled on the pressure.
Even our new dynamic midfield could not stem the flow.

MotM also tough. Dacoure getting his plaudits today from some, but he made a lot of unforced errors.
Gomes was sublime. Allen was efficient. Front 3 not in the game enough, but moments of true quality from James.
Yet Richy and DCL get the goals.
Keane and Mina will do for now, but long term are either good enough for us to be a top quality team?
Probably not as consistency has always been an issue. Looking forward to Holgate playing in this side.

James then.

Really good win all things considered. Had a few ropey moments but we are always going to seeing as the side has a mad mixture of quality. Credit to Palace for taking the game to us but the 20/21 Champions elect roll on.

Roy is right tbf

Neither the one they got or the one given against them is a penalty
It is an impossible rule to write down in the first place. You can't put a paragraph that describes every possible scenario for the ball hitting someone's arms so the judgment is always going to be hard. Nor can you just say it always is or is not a foul. My solution is to lower the stakes by making it an indirect free kick basically aside from clearly intentional ones that would result in a booking/sending and preventing these nothing incidents from becoming match changing moments.

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson: "I think the rule is a nonsense. I can't understand how everyone in the game of football - the Premier League, referees, managers and coaches - have allowed this rule to come into operation. It is ruining the game of football, no question of that.

"We can't understand what constitutes a handball and what doesn't.

"The idea that you can look at this on a screen and this constitutes a handball. It is just an absolute nonsense. I don't want to profit from it or lose from it."

Got to say that I have been massively unimpressed with amazon today.

poor commentators, poor studio pundits and the interviewer asked absolutely nothing questions, DCL was put off by the questions cos they were just bland

He handled the penalty question with pure professionalism. It’s like they were trying to goad him into saying something controversial.

Good point by Roy Hodgson there, players will now look to purposely flick the ball onto defenders hands.
At the same time defenders will adjust, like Ward did for the first incident, and be more careful with their arms. Same way players have adjusted to the leaning offside calls from last year. It isn't a coincidence that those are less common than at the start of last season. Players learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.