2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still have a soft spot for Kone, he worked really hard to come back from an awful injury and he always seemed a humble, class bloke and the moaning about his 5 million transfer fee way out of proportion.

Viva Arouna!

It was the simple fact that the manager we took from a team that he relegated decided the best way to make Everton succeed was to bring in 3 players from the said team he relegated. And whilst the 5mil isn't anything in today's valuation, back then 5 mil is more of a 15-20m equivalent today.

It was the simple fact that the manager we took from a team that he relegated decided the best way to make Everton succeed was to bring in 3 players from the said team he relegated. And whilst the 5mil isn't anything in today's valuation, back then 5 mil is more of a 15-20m equivalent today.
Yeah Martinez wanted to teach a different style of football to a team that had been under a long term manager previously so chose 3 former players he thought could do that in defense, midfield and attack.

McCarthy was the most expensive and successful (at least for first year) but for me can’t complain even about Kone or Alcarez (free) as a roll of the dice as their fees were paid by offloading Anichebe for 6m and Jelavic for even more a few months later, neither who were never going to work out under Martinez style.

Yeah Martinez wanted to teach a different style of football to a team that had been under a long term manager previously so chose 3 former players he thought could do that in defense, midfield and attack.

McCarthy was the most expensive and successful (at least for first year) but for me can’t complain even about Kone or Alcarez (free) as a roll of the dice as their fees were paid by offloading Anichebe for 6m and Jelavic for even more a few months later, neither who were never going to work out under Martinez style.

100% correct. Complete overhaul of how we were going to play. Stark contrast to the previous manager. Bring in three players on three different levels that could help install the new system. Made total sense then as it still does today. Did it all work out? Well of course it didn't. McCarthy was ace that first season though. Kone was unlucky to face a major injury. Alcaraz was generally terrible (although I will maintain that he won more balls in the air than he had any business winning...it was kind of uncanny.

Distin passing the ball to feet on the ground was probably the biggest accomplishment footballing wise in that first season.

100% correct. Complete overhaul of how we were going to play. Stark contrast to the previous manager. Bring in three players on three different levels that could help install the new system. Made total sense then as it still does today. Did it all work out? Well of course it didn't. McCarthy was ace that first season though. Kone was unlucky to face a major injury. Alcaraz was generally terrible (although I will maintain that he won more balls in the air than he had any business winning...it was kind of uncanny.

Distin passing the ball to feet on the ground was probably the biggest accomplishment footballing wise in that first season.
Alcarez was 4th choice iirc anyway as we had Jags/Distin as primary and Martinez had previously liked Stones who suited his style and Heitinga/Duffy who didn’t were moved out.

Not claiming it worked 100% but that is football and at least can see the logic behind it which is more than can say for some of our transfers!

Edit, grossly off topic - DCL is boss ;)

You can tell he's worked on his game at being more central to get on the end of things, I don't know what else the lad can do for some people, he's showing constant evolution to his game and the goals are coming, no pleasing some.

I apologise to Dominic for thinking hes crap for many years. Goes to show what effect a class manager can have on players whose attitude and commitment are second to none.

...I notice a subtle change in his positioning since Ancelotti has been here. When we attack with numbers, he’s certainly more central and often sitting on the shoulder of the last man.

It’s a real benefit because we play further up the pitch with Rodriguez in the team and it means DCL is often in position to score those ‘ugly tap-ins’. Rare to see him out wide unless he’s running the channels.

Last edited:

...I notice a subtle change in his positioning since Ancelotti has been here. When we attack with numbers, he’s certainly more central and often sitting on the shoulder of the last man.

It’s a real benefit because we play further up the pitch with Rodriguez in the team and it means DCL is often in position to score those ‘ugly tap-ins’. Rare to see him out wide unless he’s running the channels.
Yup, can't say I didn't liked him before, he was always strong, had a pace, working hard but lack clinical finish (remember all chances he used to miss). There is something in his positioning now, cause now he is more central and he don't coming too deep to get the ball...

Still have a soft spot for Kone, he worked really hard to come back from an awful injury and he always seemed a humble, class bloke and the moaning about his 5 million transfer fee way out of proportion.

Viva Arouna!

Was never the donkey people made him out to be. In the two seasons prior to joining us, he scored 15 goals in 34 apps in La Liga, and 11 in 34 in the prem. Not spectacular numbers, but respectable. But yeah, clearly a donkey getting numbers like that in the best 2 leagues in world football.

That injury finished him.

I thoughts the comments fromAncelotti telling him that successful strikers score when they only have one touch and the likelihood of them scoring reduces immensely with subsequent touches will make him a better striker.

Defo. I much prefer strikers missing with a single touch than a deliberation followed by a miss or a dispossession. Don't think about it, just kick the effing thing

Defo. I much prefer strikers missing with a single touch than a deliberation followed by a miss or a dispossession. Don't think about it, just kick the effing thing
Agree with this, too. A poor or mediocre quick shot will sometimes go in, whereas a rocket, beautifully placed shot that is blocked definitely won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.