Transfer Rumour Wilifred Zaha - January Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Tosun and Bolasie shouts are because they are players Palace have obvious had or been interested in before, so it's understandable that people would use them as leverage in any proposed deal. It's not disrespectful.

Some of the others don't make any sense. Like I've seen shouts of people saying Sigurdsson or Delph or Besic, who I don't see as being a good fit for Palace at all, as they seem fairly packed in that area.

Walcott and Iwobi have been mentioned as they are similar, albeit currently less valuable/impactful versions of the same player, ie, wide attacking players who can carry the ball at pace. But they are also both from London, an added attraction to either player.

Without trying to sound patronising, i think of all players mentioned, Iwobi could actually be a decent shout. He is younger and has a similar profile, but it just hasn't happened for him here. He just doesn't seem like a good fit for us. It happens all the time, including Zaha himself at United. Its not disrespectful to say a player could be of value to another team just because they are the make weight in any deal.

A move back to London, and a fresh start, giving himself a chance to prove people wrong could be exactly what he needs. Especially considering the manager who signed him has left. He may not be in the new managers plans.

If a deal like that were to happen, Palace would of course lose their Star player. But it would be a player who wanted to move, and they would instantly back fill his position in the squad and receive the additional transfer fee on top. Alternatively, they could get a lump sum that every team then knows about, and every target of similar profile players jumps up an extortionate amount, as Sigurdssons value did when we sold Lukaku.

I'm actually surprised player trades don't happen more often than they do. In certain instances, obviously not all, it makes a lot of sense.

P. S. I should say, for the record, i'm not even that convinced of Zaha as a target myself so not advocating the deal, just that I understand it. Im just basing it on the evidence that seems to suggest we have had or maintain an interest and the current value of the player. I also understand the attachment side of things when it's a fan favourite. So any Palace fan reading, believe us when we say we have had it all before. Every team has, barring say, Real Madrid.

Last edited:
It is ludicrous how the significance of the transfer window looms in fans eyes. In the old days you signed or sold a player and got on with it. The globalisation of the game and the relentless news / rumour blabber sees us lurch from triumph to disaster without a ball being kicked.
A cynic in me says that Roy (much savvier than people give him credit for) yesterday said, in other words “No bids for you Wilf, you’d best knuckle down.” Tbf, he has been back to his best in pre season.

Great post mate, how is Eze is looking, i know a few lads i know were raving about him in the championship, think hes injured at the moment though isnt he.

Zaha is a very fast tricky player who demands total focus from defenders. Seen him snd would be an excellent signing at 30 million

£30mill is still a bit steep...and considering we've half a dozen or more to get rid of, we run the risk of over egging the FFP pudding again. Its only suspended for 12months and there are 2 more windows and 4(?) Positions to sort yet.
Though tbf, FFP may Seem like a deadman walking just now, until its offically pronounced DOA, we can't go too mad.

Looks good. Been injured but back in training. May make the bench today. Unanimously popular signing.

Lot of lads who've seen him i know, say hes a real player, i haven't as yet but looking forward to seeing him. Bats back as well will give you the focal point up front you have been missing a few seasons now, ive always liked him and been miffed a bit with how he has done at Chelsea. Defensive injuries have really undermined Palace the last couple of years, hopefully this year you will have better luck there. Roy is a canny manager. Id be hopeful for Palace to have a strong season if all the former comes off.

Lot of lads who've seen him i know, say hes a real player, i haven't as yet but looking forward to seeing him. Bats back as well will give you the focal point up front you have been missing a few seasons now, ive always liked him and been miffed a bit with how he has done at Chelsea. Defensive injuries have really undermined Palace the last couple of years, hopefully this year you will have better luck there. Roy is a canny manager. Id be hopeful for Palace to have a strong season if all the former comes off.
Still missing Tomkins, Cahill, PVA, Sakho & new signing Nathan Ferguson at the back. All injured. We certainly ought to be stronger when everyone is back. Need some legs in the midfield. 10th - 16th is on the cards. Again.

Looks good. Been injured but back in training. May make the bench today. Unanimously popular signing.
See him a few times for QPR last season looks a player him, very skilful all over the place tactical wise but he can learn that with experience, well worth a gamble.
Seen you linked to the lad at Brentford as well , he is another that looks decent as well out wide.
Think Villa have got a decent player with Matty Cash from that Division as well, there are few players that deserve a chance of a move down there if teams in the prem will take a chance of them making the step up
Grimes at Swansea looks worth a shot the few times I have seen him , captain, young ,aggressive and good passing range, if you are short in the middle.

See him a few times for QPR last season looks a player him, very skilful all over the place tactical wise but he can learn that with experience, well worth a gamble.
Seen you linked to the lad at Brentford as well , he is another that looks decent as well out wide.
Think Villa have got a decent player with Matty Cash from that Division as well, there are few players that deserve a chance of a move down there if teams in the prem will take a chance of them making the step up
Grimes at Swansea looks worth a shot the few times I have seen him , captain, young ,aggressive and good passing range, if you are short in the middle.
There's lots of very promising players outside the PL, like Brooks at Bournemouth and McAtee (Scunthorpe). Seems like PL scouts these days much prefer to jump planes to Europe than jump in a car and head down motorways.

Still missing Tomkins, Cahill, PVA, Sakho & new signing Nathan Ferguson at the back. All injured. We certainly ought to be stronger when everyone is back. Need some legs in the midfield. 10th - 16th is on the cards. Again.

The back has been problematic, seems pepetual for Palace injuries there, who knows the window is still open. Fully fit they all are really good PL defenders.

I believe young Mitchell might start today.

I dont know mate, a bit of luck and a good manager goes a long way maybe a tilt at top 6, its maybe the depth that might trip you up. I think there is a lot to be said for continuity and stability in the set up and Roy is into his third season there. A bit like us we have been no hopers choping and changing managers for four years now and continuously changing the playing squad. There is cohort with youselves, Burnley, Southampton, who can catch an advantage on clubs like ours who consistently change managers and players. Roys done it before, what he did with Fulham was incredible, i think people forget the job he did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.