Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't mean you sit still after these three are complete. If other areas can be improved, and we all saw post lockdown it was very obvious quite a lot of then needed to be, then we absolutely must do it.

We need to sell quite a few, and I think we will, but we're not done with more signings either imo.
Several comments back looking for more signings and yes its exciting signing players AND we certainly still have holes to fill. My word of caution would be trying to fill all the holes at once. Bringing large numbers of new faces into the first XI in one window can be counter productive we all know. I know we aren't in the Koemageddon signing 10 players situation but we need to minimise the disruption now. Maybe a loan or 2 max!

Several comments back looking for more signings and yes its exciting signing players AND we certainly still have holes to fill. My word of caution would be trying to fill all the holes at once. Bringing large numbers of new faces into the first XI in one window can be counter productive we all know. I know we aren't in the Koemageddon signing 10 players situation but we need to minimise the disruption now. Maybe a loan or 2 max!
you're right. the reports of a winger and a RB are probably right and sensible. Much more and it's an entirely new team which is lucky for Jordan Pickford as it looks like he's got one more chance to prove his worth to Carlo.

I get what you're saying but last seasons Europa league winners Seville showed that it can be done, they had over ten new players come into their squad last season and went on to have a more than successful season.

We have such a low bar of quality player in the squad right now that it makes an overhaul even easier.

Our squad is so poor, an overhaul is needed, the quicker the better.

A new RB probably get us 4-5 points this season. A new GK probably
You will get you main course with a bit of gravy on the side
Spainish and Italian clubs are financially crippled .even Barca,Real Juve Napoli etc.
There will be a firesale come the end of the window.
In pre covid times do you think we would been able to buy Allan ,James and Doucoure for less than 70m
I can see 10-15 of the 92 League clubs being in real financial trouble come the end of the season
I hope you are right and its smothered in gravy. The advantage to getting the main course in early is it lets you wait for any gravy at the end of the window. No pressure, if they arent fantastic deals, you can pass and wait for those that are.

It's that right side really, if we get a quality right winger and right back we'd be a really exciting team and could do a Leicester of last season - it's not like their team is miles ahead of ours now.

View attachment 100488

Realistically we have three obvious areas of improvement - right wing, right back, and competition for Pickford.

There's a stack of players that could be sold without being missed:
Kenny
Bernard
Bolasie
Sandro
Delph
Walcott
Sigurdsson
Tosun
Besic
Lossl

It's obvious that Ancelotti wants to compete NOW, rather than in two or three years. Getting rid of the above and replacing with three would leave us with a big enough squad with a perfect balance of quality/experience/potential.

They've already shown how ruthless they want to be by replacing the entire midfield - if we want to get anywhere we'll need to be ruthless elsewhere too.

Good analysis. Unfortunately though we would actually miss Walcott, as currently he’s the only one we have, bar Bolasie. I’d actually happily sell Walcott and have Bolasie as back up for the last year of his deal if it means getting a new RW in. I’d like us to take a punt on someone such as Benrahma rather than go the Zaha route.

Doubt Davies will leave as he’s probably on low wages and won’t mind sitting on the bench too much. Would give Kenny at shot at RB too to be honest. Delph and Sigurdsson should be shown the door. Bernard I like, but for FFP reasons he can comfortably be sold. The rest aren’t worth talking about as they should all go as soon as Brands can find someone daft enough to take them. Can add Baningime, Pennington, Virginia and Connolly to that list too.

Do we need another slotter?
Two weeks ago I would have said no, but it looks like we’re in a hurry and given the quality being brought in, then maybe yes we do.
I don’t think we’re settling for top half. Feels to me like a push for top four. If that’s trr grr e case, the forwards have got to slot.

All about the quality of the player and whether they fit what you need I think. There are loads of examples of teams making wholesale changes to their squad and it working well, you just need to be careful and think about what each player is offering you. Our problem hasn't been buying too many players, it's been buying too many average ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.