Confirmed Signing Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not about me 'rating' Gbamin, its the players profile of being a DM. Id rather setup with an athletic player as an anchor with 2 players pressing in front.

Gomes in a deep positon is a massive liabiliyy imo and would be giving away free kicks around the box.

Has Gomes ever been a tempo changing player or a playmaker? Hes never played well deep that i can remember, best at Valencia as a ball carrying centre midfielder. Hes not seemed to do that with us but when he has hes been effective and looked good.

If we got Gabriel in (looking unlikely now) and Allan + Doucoure we wouldnt really need Gomes deep and could go with a more attacking system.

The 2 right backs linked arent going to pull up any trees and get up/down. They would need a player in front of them. Not Digne or anything better than average and we'd be targeted there.

I like the idea of a deep playmaker, i just dont see Gomes as that player. Youre talking about the fulcrum of the team...they need to be your best player.
Again you are taking a sentence and then building it into something else.

I think Gomes has a skill set that will give us something like what Barry did for us. What he’s been best at since his time with us is picking the ball up and moving it laterally and switching play quickly. He’s got a good passing range for that.

Barry used to do something similar. He kept the ball moving and allowed us to switch play quickly. Do I think he’s pirlo? No. Do I think he can dictate the tempo of an entire game? No.

Do I think he can serve as a player who can start play? Yes.

Do I think he has the passing range to switch play and move the ball forward? Yes.

Florenzi can get up and down. He’s played as a RB, a WB and a RM. It’s exactly what he does. Arias I know less about.

They were all terrible, Bernard included. I see no point in making a distinction on different shades of crap
I do agree with you. I wonder if improving part will improve them all.
There is no doubt however that if we sign Doucoure and Allen that some midfielders will have to go.
Delph may be considered as LB cover. Davies will probably be sold as will at least one other. The most likely being Bernard.

I think Gomes has a skill set that will give us something like what Barry did for us. What he’s been best at since his time with us is picking the ball up and moving it laterally and switching play quickly. He’s got a good passing range for that.

Barry used to do something similar. He kept the ball moving and allowed us to switch play quickly. Do I think he’s pirlo? No. Do I think he can dictate the tempo of an entire game? No.

Do I think he has the passing range to switch play and move the ball forward? Yes.

Florenzi can get up and down. He’s played as a RB, a WB and a RM. It’s exactly what he does. Arias I know less about.

Here is Gomes going exactly what I’m talking about.

Barry was slow like Gomes but for me he was positionally aware and could put in strategic fouls to cover his lack of pace. I dont think Gomes has either of those traits defensively.

Id not take the risk myself and go for the more solid players in the central area if we sign them.

Florenzi hasnt been the same since his injury and hasnt been good in spain either. Dont think he'll be able to cover a flank on his own. Arias is better imo but not to have a whole flank...we need real quality there i think.

I do agree with you. I wonder if improving part will improve them all.
There is no doubt however that if we sign Doucoure and Allen that some midfielders will have to go.
Delph may be considered as LB cover. Davies will probably be sold as will at least one other. The most likely being Bernard.

Delph never stays fit long enough to be considered reliable cover for anything.

Delph can cover left back. I see no reason to replace baines. Delph can do a job there.
The problem with that is that if we're going with a midfield of Allan and Doucoure as suggested, they aren't the most creative, so it would suggest the plan would continue to be to go wide at every single opportunity as we do at the moment. If that's the case, and all of our current left wing options are right footed, you really need your left back to be able to get up the pitch and put crosses in. I'm not sure Delph can fulfil that role.

I think with Doucoure, if I’m Watford I’m paying close attention to Stoke with Butland. Held everyone to ransom for their star player, and ultimately he’s been a big disappointment and they didn’t recoup any money.

Naturally, you’d hope Doucoure wouldn’t down tools, but if he doesn’t perform then his value will drop.

The Watford fans seem happy to let him go for the right price, but the ball is in our court. £20m tops is hope.

I think with Doucoure, if I’m Watford I’m paying close attention to Stoke with Butland. Held everyone to ransom for their star player, and ultimately he’s been a big disappointment and they didn’t recoup any money.

Naturally, you’d hope Doucoure wouldn’t down tools, but if he doesn’t perform then his value will drop.

The Watford fans seem happy to let him go for the right price, but the ball is in our court. £20m tops is hope.

Like Richy?

Status
Not open for further replies.