Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of Arsenal, Napoli and Man Utd has made me want us to get him more now.

Not me...id have been thrilled if we announced it when we supposedly did the medical in feb.

This is a bit too much of a rollercoaster of concern reading all these dodgy links lol

Just want the boy in the shirt now

But they're just not similar players at all.

We're after Gabriel because he fits the profile of the CB we want/need.

He's quick, strong, aggressive and likes to get on the front foot and decent enough on the ball. Urgo, all the tools a player needs in a defence which wants to play as a higher line.

Garcia is obviously a great talent but he's not strong or physically built.

We have Holgate already for that role. You need a balance. It's why our defence has looked decent when Holgate has been paired with either Mina or Keane, basically giving us that balance.
Not sure I agree, Gabriel is a similar to Keane but left footed.

Garcia is better passer and he can grow psychically. I think he will have more potential + potentially would be cheaper.

I don’t disagree with any of that at all but I will say that without injuries Stones wouldn’t have got his chance and as for Holgate had we signed Zouma or worse Rojo on loan and not had the injuries this season for his breakthrough he would likely be getting sold in this window. I’d rather stop trying to chuck money at things when maybe the answer is already in front of us. That only applies to CB though, the rest of the positions are that much of a mess!

In my opinion no one in the world can get a tune out of that squad of players as they are and we need at least 50% of our recognised “first team” replaced which we don’t have the means or funds to do this summer. We can make a good start yes, and hopefully get some better heads in the dressing room but in my humble opinion Ancelotti isn’t going to be enough for top 6 this season. I don’t think it’s baffling to have this opinion.

Those are all fair points.

Just don't think it's a gamble we can take at this moment in time. In my mind as bad as we've been we aren't actually that far away from Wolves/Leicester if we can get good signings in.

We should certainly be better than Sheff Utd and Burnley.

Not sure I agree, Gabriel is a similar to Keane but left footed.

Garcia is better passer and he can grow psychically. I think he will have more potential + potentially would be cheaper.

Gabriel, from what I've seen – admittedly not loads – is a fair bit quicker than Keane.

Agree on Garcia being a better passer but his build is similar to Holgate's. Gabriel is no slouch on the ball at all either.

I don’t disagree with any of that at all but I will say that without injuries Stones wouldn’t have got his chance and as for Holgate had we signed Zouma or worse Rojo on loan and not had the injuries this season for his breakthrough he would likely be getting sold in this window. I’d rather stop trying to chuck money at things when maybe the answer is already in front of us. That only applies to CB though, the rest of the positions are that much of a mess!

In my opinion no one in the world can get a tune out of that squad of players as they are and we need at least 50% of our recognised “first team” replaced which we don’t have the means or funds to do this summer. We can make a good start yes, and hopefully get some better heads in the dressing room but in my humble opinion Ancelotti isn’t going to be enough for top 6 this season. I don’t think it’s baffling to have this opinion.

I'm not sure that I'd go quite that far.

Looking at the table, we need to score about 15 more goals and concede about 15 fewer to be in contention for a top 6 spot.

A substantively similar roster got 2/3 of the way there in 2018-19. That roster had Gana, and Gomes wasn't injured. It lacked Branthwaite, Kean and Gibson for depth and potential star emergence, Holgate had not yet emerged and DCL did not have a purple patch.

The implication would seem to be that we can do a lot of work by sorting the center of the park, and that to get the rest of the way there we're going to have to strengthen positions such as CB, RB and the wings (and probably goal).

I think we're moving aggressively to sign a CB because we need to figure out the plan for Branthwaite's development, and don't want to be committed to trial by fire through inaction on our part.

Some Arsenal writer asked a french Writer about this player and this was some of his reply about what type of player/person he is.

'I'm a big fan of Gabriel. Came to France very young and took a while to settle, (unimpressive loans at Zagreb and at Troyes) but pretty much been a fixture in the Lille defence for the past 18 months, even dislodging the club captain from the team.'

He's tall, strong and fast, a good tackler and decent in the air too (though could be more of a threat in attacking set pieces). Good on the ball too - has got a really good long pass on him.'

'He seems to have a good personality too - serious on the pitch and shows good leadership qualities at only 22. Good sport too - at the beginning of lockdown he did a series of home-based exercises for l'Equipe.

'As a left-footer, he is arguably more attractive for clubs looking for a right-left balance. So I think he has a bit of everything and could grow to be a truly world-class CB. The idea of he and Saliba lining up together is quite mouth-watering.

Anyone who doesn't like Richarlison, really needs to just walk away from Professional Sport and go and watch Marine on a Saturday, because there's nothing left there to enjoy.

I'd keep Walcott too, makes the wrong decision 99/100, but still stretches defences, just can't finish his runs.
Exactly mate. He is one of only 3 decent players we have along with Digne and Holgate. Rather then knocking Richarlison we should embrace that he is still here, as I think he’ll be gone next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.