Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got a bad injury didn't he?

He only made 9 league appearances last year.

It's not really enough to judge that he's ready or not.
I have no idea. All I’ve heard is that he put in good performances for Fleetwood and I used that to form my judgment that he should be blooded in

No, they didn't play much more than 9 games after his loan move

Fair enough. 21 apps in all comps, including PL2.

Just think he needs a proper, full season out on loan before we can be saying it's ready.

Branthwaite needs to be given time as well. If we want to improve, we don't want to be down to inexperienced youngsters on the bench if we have one injury.

Why not back them and give them the opportunity to become ready though? None of them are first choice.

But it only takes one or two knocks for them to have to be thrown in. That's not the right way to blood youngsters if we're wanting to push on and challenge for the top six.

Just think he needs a proper, full season out on loan before we can be saying it's ready.

Branthwaite needs to be given time as well. If we want to improve, we don't want to be down to inexperienced youngsters on the bench if we have one injury.

I agree, branthwaite is ahead of him for me with any 1st team opportunities

We aren’t getting too 6 next season. Enlighten me as to what you suggest?

Baffled by this.

We have the best manager we've had in the Premier League era and the league is as poor as it has been in ages.

Yes, we need a big overhaul. The squad as it stands is tosh, and we need at least 3-4 quality signings to stand a chance. We were/are crap. But it's not exactly that big of a leap to the teams who did finish top six/seven in all honesty.

We're going to try and bridge the gap. It's why we're paying Ancelotti £9million a year. If not we could have gone and got Moyes to ensure we stayed up and that was our lot.

So what do I suggest?

That we need 3-4 quality players. One of these is another CB. Maybe not as a priority compared to, say a centre mid or a right winger, but to improve we have to be in a better position – squad wise – than we were last season. A way to do that is not to be down to bare bones/an 18-year-old with 3 or 4 apps if we get one injury.

It's also, as mentioned in other comments, about balance. Our squad/team is massively imbalanced in a lot of areas.

Ancelotti isn't wanting to play a deep line. He wants the team to press. But that means we have to have pace at the back. As it stands the only player we have there with pace is Holgate. It's why our defence has looked tosh with any other partnership in games we've tried to press high without him - Mina and Keane (and Branthwaite) don't have that same kind of pace.

Bringing in a player of Gabriel's profile (if not Gabriel himself) gives us a bit more balance and another option - i.e. if Holgate is injured or suspended, we still have a player with some pace to compensate. It may also free Holgate up to play centre-mid if we ever needed for a game or two, or allow us to switch systems to a back three if needed too, especially if we're after a left-footed CB which appears to be the case.

Yeah think he played every minute of their games from the start of his loan there. About 10 games or something it was including the playoffs

Baffled by this.

We have the best manager we've had in the Premier League era and the league is as poor as it has been in ages.

Yes, we need a big overhaul. The squad as it stands is tosh, and we need at least 3-4 quality signings to stand a chance. We were/are crap. But it's not exactly that big of a leap to the teams who did finish top six/seven in all honesty.

We're going to try and bridge the gap. It's why we're paying Ancelotti £9million a year. If not we could have gone and got Moyes to ensure we stayed up and that was our lot.

So what do I suggest?

That we need 3-4 quality players. One of these is another CB. Maybe not as a priority compared to, say a centre mid or a right winger, but to improve we have to be in a better position – squad wise – than we were last season. A way to do that is not to be down to bare bones/an 18-year-old with 3 or 4 apps if we get one injury.

It's also, as mentioned in other comments, about balance. Our squad/team is massively imbalanced in a lot of areas.

Ancelotti isn't wanting to play a deep line. He wants the team to press. But that means we have to have pace at the back. As it stands the only player we have there with pace is Holgate. It's why our defence has looked tosh with any other partnership in games we've tried to press high without him - Mina and Keane (and Branthwaite) don't have that same kind of pace.

Bringing in a player of Gabriel's profile (if not Gabriel himself) gives us a bit more balance and another option - i.e. if Holgate is injured or suspended, we still have a player with some pace to compensate. It may also free Holgate up to play centre-mid if we ever needed for a game or two, or allow us to switch systems to a back three if needed too, especially if we're after a left-footed CB which appears to be the case.
I don’t disagree with any of that at all but I will say that without injuries Stones wouldn’t have got his chance and as for Holgate had we signed Zouma or worse Rojo on loan and not had the injuries this season for his breakthrough he would likely be getting sold in this window. I’d rather stop trying to chuck money at things when maybe the answer is already in front of us. That only applies to CB though, the rest of the positions are that much of a mess!

In my opinion no one in the world can get a tune out of that squad of players as they are and we need at least 50% of our recognised “first team” replaced which we don’t have the means or funds to do this summer. We can make a good start yes, and hopefully get some better heads in the dressing room but in my humble opinion Ancelotti isn’t going to be enough for top 6 this season. I don’t think it’s baffling to have this opinion.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.