Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be criminal to sign Gabriel and keep mina Keane and holgate as we do play the 3 cbs a few times and loan branthwaite out (would do him good getting guaranteed first team football for a season possibly in the championship)

no reason why not..just think we all reckon funds are tight... so playing around who is likely to go. But having those 4, especially as they all break down at times it probably makes sense..

The reason teams play out from the back thought is because of the high press, to beat the high press. Your supposed to play out from the back draw the press in then either put a ball in over the top to a runner or quick intricate passes round the opposition to break the lines.

Unfortunately for us we have idiots playing for us so we either draw the press then pickford puts it out for a throw in or passes it straight to the opposition. Then we have players like Keane, Coleman, gomes, sigurdsson, davies and mina who ether can't pass or won't pass it forward meaning we just pass it round the back till the press is too much and we pass it back to pickford. Used the right way playing out from the back is a very good way of playing but with the dross we have it doesn't look very good.

Anchelotti is concentrating on implementing a style of play for the future and those players I just mentioned won't be the players here to play it in the future but the team on the whole will benefit from us playing it now.

Id personally disagree with you there mate, the high press doesn't exist unless you are playing out from the back, i take the point you are making and that is what you have to do if you decide to play out from the back if the opposition is high pressing. But i think there are other ways, the advent of sweeper keeprs, going direct,flooding lines, hitting the space behind the press etc.

We are agree on one thing we have been bad at it, i think people are being harsh on our defenders though, they had no midfield to transition it to and also far to often our midfielders played it repressively back to our back four and snared us in the press again. I hate to say it but we are not a very clever team.

I think concpetionally people like the idea of playing out from the back as they think it identifies with good football, when really that is often not the case.

Either way i think people are being harsh on our defenders a bit, id have a bit of sympathy for them in that they improved a lot when Carlo came in and organised them, while they have been left exposed with teams just running through our central channel through midfield without a tackle and getting minimum protection.

Last edited:

I saw him and Callum Wilson are available at a knockdown price. I wouldn't pay £15m for eitehr (I thought Wilson was available closer to 10) but in essence eitehr at £10m to me would be quite an astute buy and probably allow us to deploy Richarlinson wide.

I think to play 442 in the modern game you need to have a team full of quality or a team full of alehouse grocks puttinq 100% in every week like Sheff Utd or Burnley.

We realistically will have neither.

My expectations for next season is 7th and better results / more easy on the eye performances - which gives us a platform to build on the following season as its going to take us a minimum 2 years to properly rebuild the current squad in terms of ins and oots.

You seem to be getting sensible in your advancing years ;)

Personally I thought he started the season well and I thought he was starting to look the part, but he didn’t really keep it up. I’ve said before, being one of our top 5 Or whatever performers this year isn’t really a barometer of anything. We finished 12th, and lost at home to two teams that got relegated; it was a truly awful season and being better than some of the others doesn’t make a players performances any good in real terms.

I think we have to realistic to say, that really any of our players should be moved on if the price is suitable. As you say Mina was one of our better performers but in a side tha finshed 12th and 8th (on 54 points the season before). If we can get a good fee we should look at it. Unfortunately we have a few members of the squad (albeit less than before) where we will get no fee at all, so we have to be open to the prospect of moving people on who can generate revenue.

I'm happy to keep Mina too, but if we got a good offer I move him on as well. As a club, we need to be buying players like Gabriel, and ultimantely trying to double or treble our money on them in 2-3 years. Mina has been here 2 years now and ultimately it hasn't worked out that way. No shame in rolling the dice again.

I think we have to realistic to say, that really any of our players should be moved on if the price is suitable. As you say Mina was one of our better performers but in a side tha finshed 12th and 8th (on 54 points the season before). If we can get a good fee we should look at it. Unfortunately we have a few members of the squad (albeit less than before) where we will get no fee at all, so we have to be open to the prospect of moving people on who can generate revenue.

I'm happy to keep Mina too, but if we got a good offer I move him on as well. As a club, we need to be buying players like Gabriel, and ultimantely trying to double or treble our money on them in 2-3 years. Mina has been here 2 years now and ultimately it hasn't worked out that way. No shame in rolling the dice again.
Yeah pretty much how I see it. I don’t dislike Mina, he’s not been a disaster or anything, but he’s not really been a success either. If we can upgrade on him
Or Keane and keep the net spend low then it makes sense in the current climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.