2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate his form has been atrocious for 2 seasons now. Maybe only for a season and a half since the clanger at Anfield if I'm being generous.

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt for as long as possible, but he's never really recovered from the Origi moment IMO. And you simply can't afford to stick by a keeper whos conceding goals so easily and so frequently, it massively hamstrings what you want to do as a team if youre having to make up for keeper errors every other week

Hes played every single game since- is that through lack of competition or that he still shows it in training? Any other player out of form would have been taken out of the side he hasnt been given that option. I think being taken out of the team for even a game or two could also help to refocus. Hes a good keeper out of form, thats my opinion.

I also really think people give him an extra hard time because they think hes a bit of a bell.

Hes played every single game since- is that through lack of competition or that he still shows it in training? Any other player out of form would have been taken out of the side he hasnt been given that option. I think being taken out of the team for even a game or two could also help to refocus. Hes a good keeper out of form, thats my opinion.

I also really think people give him an extra hard time because they think hes a bit of a bell.

And in how many of those games has he played well?

Every few games he makes a top save and you think 'there is the talent that hes got' but its nowhere near consistent enough.

He makes a top save as often as he drops a clanger

And in how many of those games has he played well?

Every few games he makes a top save and you think 'there is the talent that hes got' but its nowhere near consistent enough.

He makes a top save as often as he drops a clanger

Erm.. Thats my point :confused:

Why hasnt he been dropped if hes been so bad?

I don't know but thats not my point.

Do you think he has been good enough in the last 2 seasons?

My point was that we've not 'turned our backs quickly on him' as your original post stated.

We've turned our backs on him after 2 seasons of calamitous errors.

How long do you think is realistic to stick with him if he keeps making the same mistakes every other game?

I don't know but thats not my point.

Do you think he has been good enough in the last 2 seasons?

My point was that we've not 'turned our backs quickly on him' as your original post stated.

We've turned our backs on him after 2 seasons of calamitous errors.

How long do you think is realistic to stick with him if he keeps making the same mistakes every other game?

What Im saying is hes been out of form- questionable about length of time but hes had no opportunity to sit out, refocus and be pushed via competition.

What Im saying is hes been out of form- questionable about length of time but hes had no opportunity to sit out, refocus and be pushed via competition.

Fair enough mate.

But for me, when a player makes consistent mistakes for 1 or 2 seasons (depending how you view it), you cant really say its just 'bad form'.

I can't remember the last time he had a good game for us.

For me, his clangers whilst playing games behind closed doors are the icing on a bad cake. There has always been concerns that he lets the fans get to him, Newcastle fans being the prime example. But doing it in a less pressured environment is a massive concern for me.

Sadly, I dont think the mistakes will ever leave his came

30 mil keeper, think managers have been persisting with him because we don't have a good no.2 and blindly hoping the money we spent on him will prove worth it.

Pickford has great instinct reactions and raw ability as a shot stopper, his kicking can be a good outlet to counters as well, but put simply his focus is way off which will always prevent him from just getting the basics right. Moreover, he's just to erratic a personality to be a keeper for us, a keeper has to be a calming presence and influence for his players and Pickford's being incites chaos.

Praying for the lad to come good again, but just can't see it. Sadly though, we just don't have the funds to bring in another top keeper and I can't see anyone offering anywhere near the 30 mil we paid for him so sadly we're stuck. Just praying Virginia turns out to be some new age Portuguese Neville Southall waiting in the wings.

30 mil keeper, think managers have been persisting with him because we don't have a good no.2 and blindly hoping the money we spent on him will prove worth it.

Pickford has great instinct reactions and raw ability as a shot stopper, his kicking can be a good outlet to counters as well, but put simply his focus is way off which will always prevent him from just getting the basics right. Moreover, he's just to erratic a personality to be a keeper for us, a keeper has to be a calming presence and influence for his players and Pickford's being incites chaos.

Praying for the lad to come good again, but just can't see it. Sadly though, we just don't have the funds to bring in another top keeper and I can't see anyone offering anywhere near the 30 mil we paid for him so sadly we're stuck. Just praying Virginia turns out to be some new age Portuguese Neville Southall waiting in the wings.

The thing is tho, I don't even think we need to bring in a TOP keeper.

We just need someone steady who doesnt try and throw the ball in his net every other week.

And as you mentioned, someone with a calming presence. At the minute none of the defenders know what Pickford is gonna do next and it causes havoc.

I would be all over Romero personally, surely wouldn't cost too much would he? Always looked dependable whenever hes played for United

Due to the investment in him, we are pretty much stuck with him.
No one would take him, and we cant buy in a top class keeper so we are basically paying 2 1st team keeper wages.
I've heard the idea would be to look at which top clubs might be offering the goalkeepers out on loan (e.g Areola at PSG & Lunin at Madrid)
The problem we have with that would be convincing the clubs that they wlll get game time ahead of allegedly Englands no.1 goalkeeper

Mate his form has been atrocious for 2 seasons now. Maybe only for a season and a half since the clanger at Anfield if I'm being generous.

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt for as long as possible, but he's never really recovered from the Origi moment IMO. And you simply can't afford to stick by a keeper whos conceding goals so easily and so frequently, it massively hamstrings what you want to do as a team if youre having to make up for keeper errors every other week
The "Origi moment" in itself does not worry me as it can be pit down to a momentary brain-fart. Much more important is his lack of judgement. His child-like behaviour shows no sign of abating and it is obvious that nobody on the pitch or in the stand trusts him. He is nowhere near the standard required but everyone else knows it so we are stuck with him. Bench is the only option.

Pickford has never been dropped because the deputies are all sub standard. He needs competition with him on the bench and a better keeper showing him he has to improve if he wants to play. There must be decent Championship keepers surely who would willingly want a move upwards?

He is clearly out of form, but he hasn’t been taken out of the team because there is no sensible alternative available in our squad.
The question is, has the Anfield gaffe finished him at Everton? Will he ever recover from that?
I’m not sure.

I always thought it was a matter of fact myself

Status
Not open for further replies.