2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're the one in the fantasy world if you think normal business rules relate to football.

A DoF means they have sole control over hiring and firing of managers, scouting, recruitment of players, long-term strategy of the first team.

If that doesn't apply anymore, neither does the title.

a DoF has a boss. That’s how every business works mate... football or otherwise.

You have the same problem as @Paul Rideout - you confuse the football industry with normal industry.

Credibility and status of a DoF is all important. They are THE arbiters of what goes on at a club in football terms. If an owner disregards that and countermands their wishes they lose face and have nothing.

you’re right football as a business is worthless.

Man U is only worth about 800m as per a few seasons ago (my mate was working For a well known company and Man U was one of their clients).

The people who work there think they are something special, but what’s a 800m business in the marketing industry? It’s nothing. Do you think CMO at a marketing industry doesn’t get overruled by their UBO? Football isn’t anything special as a business I’m afraid mate. It’s just in the public eye more.

put it this way. Would you rather own JP Morgan or Real Madrid? You think Jamie Dimon doesn’t overrule his CMO?

you’re right football as a business is worthless.

Man U is only worth about 800m as per a few seasons ago (my mate was working For a well known company and Man U was one of their clients).

The people who work there think they are something special, but what’s a 800m business in the marketing industry? It’s nothing. Do you think CMO at a marketing industry doesn’t get overruled by their UBO? Football isn’t anything special as a business I’m afraid mate. It’s just in the public eye more.

put it this way. Would you rather own JP Morgan or Real Madrid? You think Jamie Dimon doesn’t overrule his CMO?
It's not about turnover. Some clubs are massive businesses, but in football the cult of the personality holds firm, unlike in normal business.

If a man is brought in to impose his authority on the football side of the club they have to be seen to be in control at the very least. Moshiri completely undermines everyone who comes in in whatever capacity, and that's what happened with Brands over the Silva dismissal and Ancelotti hiring.

All of this, of course, is quite beside the atrocious job Brands has done in the transfer market.

He's failed. He has to go.

It's not about turnover. Some clubs are massive businesses, but in football the cult of the personality holds firm, unlike in normal business.

If a man is brought in to impose his authority on the football side of the club they have to be seen to be in control at the very least. Moshiri completely undermines everyone who comes in in whatever capacity, and that's what happened with Brands over the Silva dismissal and Ancelotti hiring.

All of this, of course, is quite beside the atrocious job Brands has done in the transfer market.

He's failed. He has to go.

didn’t say turnover did I? it’s about book value, of which turnover is merely a fraction... Tut tut Dave.

All UBOs undermine everyone below them at one stage or another. Always have and always will.

I’m sure we can find examples of the UBOs doing it to the managers and DoFs at most clubs throughout history. Real Madrid presidents (who aren’t even DoFs or UBOs) overruling managers etc etc

didn’t say turnover did I? it’s about book value, of which turnover is merely a fraction... Tut tut Dave.

All UBOs undermine everyone below them at one stage or another. Always have and always will.

I’m sure we can find examples of the UBOs doing it to the managers and DoFs at most clubs throughout history. Real Madrid presidents (who aren’t even DoFs or UBOs) overruling managers etc etc
Yes you will find those examples. And they amount to the same thing: the DoF role is not doable in football.

I've always argued against them. Brands' time here underlines that.

I think you're the one in the fantasy world if you think normal business rules relate to football.

A DoF means they have sole control over hiring and firing of managers, scouting, recruitment of players, long-term strategy of the first team.

If that doesn't apply anymore, neither does the title.
You have the same problem as @Paul Rideout - you confuse the football industry with normal industry.

Credibility and status of a DoF is all important. They are THE arbiters of what goes on at a club in football terms. If an owner disregards that and countermands their wishes they lose face and have nothing.

For someone who claims not to "have any idea what a DOF is or why we have one" you dont half post a lot of conjecture about the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.