Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer would surely be though, that he plays in the same position as Wan Bissaka, who has been pretty good during his time there and was always going to start every week given the fee.

I do understand the aversion to signing "caste offs" and the question of hunger. However I do think it's a difficult bind. If we go and sign a group of hungry players from below us, youare generally talking about teams who have been or are close to relegation levelor in the championship. So the obvious come back is that these players have "found their level" (I'm not sauing I agree with that either).

So the solution is, we sign the best players from the best teams. I just don't think it's either realistic or feasible.

What I would say we have to do better is judge the character better. For me, in different ways Iwobi and Delph ast summer appear to me to have the wrong character from the little I see. Before that the same can be levelled at Bernard, to a degree at Keane, Pickford, Sigurdssn, Schneiderlin etc. I know people keep going on about that Moyes team, but they were filled with the right characters and lots who've gone on to coach. Cahill, Arteta, Ferguson, Stubbs, Weir, Carsley, Campbell, Gravesen etc. We need to get an idea if people are hungry to come and play here before committing.

I remember reading Craig Bellamy's auto biography
He said he spoke to Moyes about going to Everton, they were really positive talks! They spoke about how he would fit in to the team, were he would play etc. It got Bellamy excited, off that he decided Everton was were he wanted to go!
The next meeting with Moyes was apparently very different. Moyes showed up with a dossier of rules and conduct instructions etc. Moyes was alot colder apparently on this meeting, so much that Bellamy didn't like the approach and chose to go to Blackburn.

Wonder if that was all abit of a tactic to see how Bellamy would react to both situations, the positive & the negative to see how much he wanted it.
May of meant a certain few players may of skipped of grasp, but it did bring in a lot of the right attitude players too

The answer would surely be though, that he plays in the same position as Wan Bissaka, who has been pretty good during his time there and was always going to start every week given the fee.

I do understand the aversion to signing "caste offs" and the question of hunger. However I do think it's a difficult bind. If we go and sign a group of hungry players from below us, youare generally talking about teams who have been or are close to relegation levelor in the championship. So the obvious come back is that these players have "found their level" (I'm not sauing I agree with that either).

So the solution is, we sign the best players from the best teams. I just don't think it's either realistic or feasible.

What I would say we have to do better is judge the character better. For me, in different ways Iwobi and Delph ast summer appear to me to have the wrong character from the little I see. Before that the same can be levelled at Bernard, to a degree at Keane, Pickford, Sigurdssn, Schneiderlin etc. I know people keep going on about that Moyes team, but they were filled with the right characters and lots who've gone on to coach. Cahill, Arteta, Ferguson, Stubbs, Weir, Carsley, Campbell, Gravesen etc. We need to get an idea if people are hungry to come and play here before committing.

Yeah dont get me wrong he could do a job like im just hoping we start going for more Richarlison's than cast offs unless said cast offs were of a proven quality i.e. Ings, Allan, Digne.

I think if we get him on a loan deal it would make sense considering we need to spend alot on the midfield / wide areas - Dalot on loan and Kenny sold for £8-12 million would give us some wiggle room FFP speaking to invest in other areas.

We are light on strikers at the moment. Anyone reckon we should go in for Danny Ings? Seems to have got over his injury problems and looks a real threat every time I have seen him play recently.
HeftyPleasedAsianlion-small.gif

Aye but they signed AWB because they needed to strengthen that position.

If he comes I'll give him a chance but would rather sign someone who's highly rated and on the way up rather than another Utd cast off.

...it’s a fair point you raise but he was obviously very highly rated ahead of his move to United but now finds himself 2nd choice because of another purchase.

Whilst a permanent transfer is a risk, i think a loan deal is a ‘no brainer’. He’s a good age, he’s a good size, he’s got pace and athleticism and he’s clearly got quality. I know nothing about his attitude and professionalism (I actually thought he might be a bit overweight last time I watched) but you find out about that with a loan.

If Dalot is so good why cant he get much game time for a Utd side renowned for its average defence?

This is why we need to stop chasing cast offs - we cant finish above teams who's players that aren't good enough are rockijg up here.
If memory serves isn’t Dalot good going forward but dodgy defensively, so basically just like sidibe.

And lets swerve the doucoure shouts this summer, absolute dosser living off one season
...it’s a fair point you raise but he was obviously very highly rated ahead of his move to United but now finds himself 2nd choice because of another purchase.

Whilst a permanent transfer is a risk, i think a loan deal is a ‘no brainer’. He’s a good age, he’s a good size, he’s got pace and athleticism and he’s clearly got quality. I know nothing about his attitude and professionalism (I actually thought he might be a bit overweight last time I watched) but you find out about that with a loan.

Im certain he would be a very good right winger.

Fantastic crosser and can track back having been a right back. Alsp 2 footed

I remember reading Craig Bellamy's auto biography
He said he spoke to Moyes about going to Everton, they were really positive talks! They spoke about how he would fit in to the team, were he would play etc. It got Bellamy excited, off that he decided Everton was were he wanted to go!
The next meeting with Moyes was apparently very different. Moyes showed up with a dossier of rules and conduct instructions etc. Moyes was alot colder apparently on this meeting, so much that Bellamy didn't like the approach and chose to go to Blackburn.

Wonder if that was all abit of a tactic to see how Bellamy would react to both situations, the positive & the negative to see how much he wanted it.
May of meant a certain few players may of skipped of grasp, but it did bring in a lot of the right attitude players too

I think this is exactly right mate, and I was going to mention Bellama, and another David Dunn who Moyes pulled out from signing. It could have been a deliberate ploy from Moyes or perhaps overnight he had recieved some information back and really want to dig into it. Either way you are better finding out before you sign him what his character is like than 3 months in. I do wonder if we do enough of the due diligence stuff now? We seem to have for me, a lot of players who will perform when the going is good, but if they are knocked off their preferred path they just down tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.