2019/20 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
terrific last 10 minutes for him last night don't know about the other 80, got to acknowledge he is still not 100% fit though I'd happy to have him in the squad next season

Ok let's take this using logic, if that's how you prefer to debate.

Was the team that Silva had last season different to the one he had this season?
Were the results better or worse?
Where did we finish under Silva last season?
On a Points Per Game basis, where would we have finished this season?
Is the place we finished last season higher or lower than the PPG finish you've calculated for this season?

To say the results / team / quality / circumstances of the TEAM can't be different just because the manager was the same is ILLOGICAL mate.

So we take his performances last year because the team (pretty much the same team bar Iwobi) was getting better results but we must discount this season because the team has been worse?

So it's impossible for him to display any positive attributes, on an individual level, just because we're getting less points per game on average this season?

Talking absolute tripe.

So we take his performances last year because the team (pretty much the same team bar Iwobi) was getting better results but we must discount this season because the team has been worse?

So it's impossible for him to display any positive attributes, on an individual level, just because we're getting less points per game on average this season?

Talking absolute tripe.
What's tripe mate is that you haven't answered any of the questions and you've thrown in further rubbish of "pretty much the same team bar Iwobi".

Let's either debate or not. I'm not bothered which we do as it seems you have your point of view and will drivel on to protect it at all costs.

Only centre mid currently at club I would keep. Isnt on form in fairness but has plenty quality.Top player when he has a proper partner in midfield. Keep him sell Davis and get some quality in.

He spent 80 mins dribbling with the football before losing it and giving the opposition a very good attacking chance. As it’s villa they are so pants it didn’t matter.

He spent 80 mins dribbling with the football before losing it and giving the opposition a very good attacking chance. As it’s villa they are so pants it didn’t matter.
He doesn't have any options when he's on the ball, in fairness. He's trying to create space.

He's been poor of late, but he's not the biggest problem in the middle of the park.

He's not someone we should toss aside but he 100% percent deserves current criticism, Post restart the lad won't even put a tackle in, Not singling him out because the whole team has been gash but he was one of the last players I'd expect to fall of a cliff like this.

What's tripe mate is that you haven't answered any of the questions and you've thrown in further rubbish of "pretty much the same team bar Iwobi".

Let's either debate or not. I'm not bothered which we do as it seems you have your point of view and will drivel on to protect it at all costs.
No you're right mate, totally impossible to judge a player across 2 seasons because crazy things like minor squad changes and poorer results happened...

Just curious to what the general consensus is about Gomes on here? Having watched both of our games this year, it felt like he was comfortably the worst player on the pitch in the first game and was very close to being the same in the recent game.

Just curious to what the general consensus is about Gomes on here? Having watched both of our games this year, it felt like he was comfortably the worst player on the pitch in the first game and was very close to being the same in the recent game.
He’s been poor this year, but he broke his ankle and by rights probably shouldn’t have been back so quick.
He was certainly better last season, despite what the revisionists say. He had Gana Gueye alongside him then to do a lot of the dirty work.
I’m not sure how well he can play in a midfield two In our current system as he is not aggressive enough. However, when he is playing well he has great vision and can pick a pass. This is what we saw last season,

As the rest of our midfield gets regularly excoriated I find it increasingly amusing that this player gets a free pass from so many.
Overall in his time here he has contributed far less than the much maligned Sigurdsson.
There have been games where he has been outstanding and it’s easy to see why Barcelona recruited him, but there have been far more games where he has been ineffectual or poor and it’s easy to see why they sold him.
I can only assume that he escapes the vitriolic criticism directed at others due to some level of latent homo eroticism In our passionate support.
Anyway let’s hope he can improve next season and begin to approach the player everyone hoped he would be because at the moment he is once again falling well short of that ideal.

He’s been poor this year, but he broke his ankle and by rights probably shouldn’t have been back so quick.
He was certainly better last season, despite what the revisionists say. He had Gana Gueye alongside him then to do a lot of the dirty work.
I’m not sure how well he can play in a midfield two In our current system as he is not aggressive enough. However, when he is playing well he has great vision and can pick a pass. This is what we saw last season,
Not a revisionists as I've always thought some on here vastly over rated him. Last season we waited for 2 or 3 months for his injury to clear. When he played he have a couple of decent games. He was a nice passer of the ball and was definitely a lot more aggressive. But even then he was very much hit and miss. Gave a good performance at the Anfield derby then terrible ones like Fulham away. Home games he was ok,. Most away games went missing most of the time.
This year I'm struggling to remember any decent games. He had his injury which has affected him. He is still a good passer of the ball but he is very slow. Played better in the last 10 mins against villa when he was pushed up.
If keep.him.for next year as hopefully with better players around him in midfield he will perform better. If not try and get some money.for him

Needs time to properly recover and get up to speed, been rushed back way too quick because the rest of the dossers are so shabite

Not a revisionists as I've always thought some on here vastly over rated him. Last season we waited for 2 or 3 months for his injury to clear. When he played he have a couple of decent games. He was a nice passer of the ball and was definitely a lot more aggressive. But even then he was very much hit and miss. Gave a good performance at the Anfield derby then terrible ones like Fulham away. Home games he was ok,. Most away games went missing most of the time.
This year I'm struggling to remember any decent games. He had his injury which has affected him. He is still a good passer of the ball but he is very slow. Played better in the last 10 mins against villa when he was pushed up.
If keep.him.for next year as hopefully with better players around him in midfield he will perform better. If not try and get some money.for him
I couldn’t disagree with any of that really. when he plays well, he’s easy on the eye. When he plays badly he just goes invisible. This season he’s been invisible for most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.