Match Thread Everton v Aston Villa (Thursday 16 July 18:00) - MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave it to Branthwaite, but, in fairness, it could have been Keane. Both of them played well but it was only a second prem appearance for the young boy, very impressive. By the way, did you see the size of him for an 18 year old? He’s going to be a monster in a couple of years.

Early days yet, but, if he keeps his feet on the ground he seems to have a lot of potential.
Left footed too I think. Great asset for a centre half that.

I mean Jesus...
It was a nothing game behind closed doors to assess what will happen during the Summer.
The manager didnt sign any of those players,
There's no decent holding midfielder,
we had to play a kid at the back because two first choice center backs are out.
We put up a bit of a fight after going behind.
Sure, it was a bad game but it wasnt Wolves/Southampton bad.
How many times over the past few years have we had to say " oh it will get better". It never does. I'm sick to death of nothing games and excuses. It is bad.
we have spent 350 million and were struggling in mid table.
The minimum every season should be fighting for the top 4

How many times over the past few years have we had to say " oh it will get better". It never does. I'm sick to death of nothing games and excuses. It is bad.
we have spent 350 million and were struggling in mid table.
The minimum every season should be fighting for the top 4
I agree with all that but I m holding my judgement till I see one of the best managers in world football get a chance to unpick the mess he’s been left.

Disagree, thought there was effort, thought we started much better in the first 20, trying to move the ball quicker, before they reverted to type.

Not saying it was a good performance, it wasn’t, but thought the problem today was lack of quality, rather than players not arsed.

ok, it was better than wolves.
You’re absolutely right, it still wasn’t great. 1 shot on target on the 87th minute against a team destined for the drop that hadn’t won away nor kept a clean sheet away from home all season. Agree that there is a lack of quality, this is together with a lack of motivation, character and a few who still don’t look that arsed.

It’s the end of the season and we’ve nothing to play for so I suppose it’s natural that things are petering out.

Listened to the commentary by Darren Griffiths and Ian Snodin while travelling this evening and about a minute before Walcott equalised, Snodin said, "just can't see us scoring Daz, no penetration in the final third all game."
They did their best to make it sound interesting but when Villa took the lead, there was absolutely no surprise in their voices that we'd fallen behind.

Worrying times.

First few minutes it was end to end but not a shot on shot on target at home until the 87th min.
It was a flat listless display devoid on ideas, execution and confidence.
Hopefully just end of season blues. Looked bad.

Branthwaite played really well and looked more than capable - unfortunately plenty of time for those shithouse mercenaries around him in our squad to bugger him up - cmon brands and Carlo, clear em out!

Walcott meant to head that ball to DCL or Richarlison in the middle lol...look at his head and body shape he didn't mean to score.

I hope not - Richy wasn’t even on the pitch!

I mean whoever was there in the middle
I'm glad he scored, and I wish he would have scored a lot more for us, but then Walcott retires he'll still be 'great pace a lot of potential if he can get the final ball or shot just right"...

"We are a weak team who can be beaten with enough intensity and enthusiasm.

"We have lost a lot of points which we shouldn't have done. We have been very inconsistent.

"We need to be self-critical, starting with the players, but also across the entire club."

Who's this then - Coleman, Tommy D, Pickford, cos it fits us to a tea, and I would love one of our senior pros to say something like this!

Nope - it's actually Leo Messi talking about Barca..

first post on here, so here we go lol
Very disappointed from a Villa perspective, feels like we just threw away 2 points & our chance of survival.

It was also clear to see (and what many have suggested on here) that your midfield is clearly the weak part of your team (and then maybe Pickford, but that's a different conversation). Branthwaite was very solid I thought, and could have a bright future ahead of him. Not sure if y'all want or will be interested in Grealish either but could help solve part of the midfield problem y'all are facing right now.

On the other hand imagine being villa and everton got prity much relegated with a draw and you log on to see the Villa forum and they are moaning for being 11th and am drawing the game.

Oh well lads, that's another Everton v Villa 'el classico' done and dusted. I will harbour indelible memories of that 'clash of the titans'; memories i will never forget, no matter how hard I try.Football fans all around the world will celebrate their watching such a game...celebrate the fact that the vast, vast majority of them, don't support either team.
And The Jester's Arms experience? well it certainly was that; a convocation of Worzel Gummidge-type characters assembling in some masochistic ambition toward putting their uncomplicated lives into some sort of perspective...a sort of 'there's always someone out there more miserable than us' exercise. And a fruitful one is was too,.as most of them were heard muttering as they shuffled out to begin their daily drudge "I feel sorry for the supporters of both those teams who played today".
I guess it's an ill wind that blows no-one no good.

I'm back home in the big smoke of Auckland now, have necked a couple of special brews, and my maximum permitted daily dosage of Prozac...feeling pretty good.
Which is why i love everton...after watching them, and having to afterward always dose myself similarly, that's how they make me feel.

NSNO

Status
Not open for further replies.