Young EFC Players Out on Loan 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only 3 players I want to see in this thread next season Gibson, Adeniran and Markelo. Hopefully Dowell, Connolly, Broadhead, Bowler, Pennington and Baningime will all have been found new permanent homes.

Sheffield United was a tough one because he played almost RWB there. It would have been nice if after a strong preseason in 17/18 and that loan spell at Forest we went and made him a part of our squad for 18/19 but we fell in love with Sigurdsson instead.
Could you imagine if we’d invested the time we’ve put into Siggurdson into Dowell instead... even if he turned out to be awful, it couldn’t possibly have been any worse

There's no room for a drifting, skilful, not-so-pacey no.10, but if Dowell gets the same fitness trainer as DCL and gets some pace and power, he has to find his way as an attacking midfielder, who can play both wide forward, left of a 4-4-2, or a 4-3-3.
This kind of sophisticated training is what I think is missing between Unsworth & the step up to the first team, as proven with the time it's taking Beni, Davies, DCL to come good. I thought Brands was the missing link, starting to think of development and same style of tactics etc

I'd have him back on the basis that he's left footed alone, the state of us with no left footed attacking player in our squad.

....i imagine his current contract is very costly and it’s now entering its final year. I’m a huge Dowell fan, but there’s no doubt his loan performances have generally been poor over the last two seasons.

....i imagine his current contract is very costly and it’s now entering its final year. I’m a huge Dowell fan, but there’s no doubt his loan performances have generally been poor over the last two seasons.
I feel a bit sorry for him. His first loan (Forest was it?) was very good overall although suffered when they changed manager. After that it seems like he's drifted a bit. If he had no chance with our first team after Forest. Maybe a loan to a foreign top division might have been better.

My comment about wanting to keep him was more in jest than anything, and more of a slant on the fact that we don't have one left footed attacking player in our squad.

Really had high hopes for Dowell a couple of years back but it's very hard to see him making it with us now.

I feel a bit sorry for him. His first loan (Forest was it?) was very good overall although suffered when they changed manager. After that it seems like he's drifted a bit. If he had no chance with our first team after Forest. Maybe a loan to a foreign top division might have been better.

...I like him lots but I don’t feel in the least bit sorry for him, Billy. I’d be sorry for the majority of Academy youngsters who are released.

Dowell has had two professional contracts at a PL club, he’ll be a very wealthy young man and we shouldn’t look for excuses for his lack of impact at clubs in the last two seasons. He’s got fabulous quality and will have a career in the game.

Sheffield United was a tough one because he played almost RWB there. It would have been nice if after a strong preseason in 17/18 and that loan spell at Forest we went and made him a part of our squad for 18/19 but we fell in love with Sigurdsson instead.
I honestly think if we had sold him two years ago we might have got a decent fee for him, don’t get me wrong he still has time to progress if he adds that work rate and endeavour to his game but it’s a very big “if”. I sincerely hope he gets it all together, it would be a terrible waste of the obvious talent he has got if he doesn’t. For the tenth time I’ve said this
” IT‘S ALL DOWN TO HIMSELF“

Three years ago he was starring in the U20 World Cup winning team. Just sayin

Yet, when you look at United and Chelsea, all of whom have blooded a lot of young players this season, Foden at City, Sancho at Dortmund etc. all have had regular action by that point. This lad has had several loans to Championship clubs and not looked like being given a sniff in our first team. It's a crap process. It's very hard to say that DCL or even Davies tore up trees in their first season or two with us, yet both were still given time. This lad was punted out on loan.

I'm in agreement, we're so quick to write off our youngsters. The comments on here about how poor (stronger language not allowed) they are is unreal. We all want to see worldies signing for Everton but even with Carlo that won't happen right away. I'd rather have a few home-growns given a chance than see more money wasted on the likes of Siggs and co.

Yet, when you look at United and Chelsea, all of whom have blooded a lot of young players this season, Foden at City, Sancho at Dortmund etc. all have had regular action by that point. This lad has had several loans to Championship clubs and not looked like being given a sniff in our first team. It's a crap process. It's very hard to say that DCL or even Davies tore up trees in their first season or two with us, yet both were still given time. This lad was punted out on loan.
Yeah I agree. My post was more having a go at the lad who said we should have made a decision to keep or sell 3 years ago when he was just 19, and it isn't always that easy. The kid had just come back off a very successful world cup, so I think selling him would have been considered premature at the time.

I actually thought his first loan at Forest was a success. Up until Christmas he was arguably one of the stars of the championship, and at least we could identify a reason for his change in fortune there with a new manager and more defensive system. He was also away from the club when Allardyce was here, which I think was a bonus. Silva came in and we kept hold of him, which again I thought was the right decision by the club. But Silva never gave him an opportunity apart from playing with other fringe players in a couple of league cup games. As you say, he never got a prolonged run alongside senior first team players, and I think that's where the club failed him to an extent.

You look at Gordon now, just a year younger than when we had Dowell in the squad, and he's been given numerous chances. But in his first couple of outings he didn't impress at all, but Carlo persevered with him and he's been a bit of a bright spark. Had Silva used Dowell in the same way you may have seen the same outcome. Who knows. I actually think he couldn't have performed any worse than Davies, Gomes and Sigurdsson had he been at the club since the restart.

But like most people I do believe it's too late for the lad with us now. His game would probably suit somewhere like Italy better and if I were his agent I'd be looking to get him a move abroad, either there or somewhere like Holland. I think he'd do well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.