2019/20 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying his position shouldn't be up for grabs. I made that quite clear in this, and the earlier post which you also replied to, that the midfield in its entirety isn't good enough. But I do think he's being made the scape goat here, and of all the midfield players at our disposal, he would be near the bottom of the list in terms of who I'd be looking to get rid of.

He is someone who could flourish with a different set of players or a different set up. I can't say that for most of the others. He also costs us a lot less than the others too.

And again, I do believe a loan would do him good.

He can’t tackle can’t pass not much aggression what does he offer? Just get rid and get some money back to reinvest.

Selling Gordon short. Kid looks a player
i completely missed the kid out looking at it, only player that wants to drive forward with the ball. That was something i always liked with Ross, gave the ball away a lot but always trying to make something happen.. we are a team of square ballers just now

When Davies got his first game I thought they had got the name wrong as at the time Dowell was by far the most technically gifted player coming through the ranks. Watch any of their games together and it's Dowell pulling the strings. I know it hasn't worked out for him either to-date but I've no idea how Davies got selected over Dowell in the first place. Anyone think Dowell will ever come good, although probably not with Blues?

When Davies got his first game I thought they had got the name wrong as at the time Dowell was by far the most technically gifted player coming through the ranks. Watch any of their games together and it's Dowell pulling the strings. I know it hasn't worked out for him either to-date but I've no idea how Davies got selected over Dowell in the first place. Anyone think Dowell will ever come good, although probably not with Blues?

Dowell will probably have a very good career in Championship/League one. Perhaps find the right team for him to move up at some point.

Was shocking yesterday but he still doesn't hide, still tries to get on the ball. It doesn't appear like he's ever going to be good enough, but I'd challenge any player to look half decent next to sigurdsson.

He doesn’t hide to be fair, unlike the Icelandic sloth alongside him. He’s just not good enough.

It was tough to watch him trying and failing to make a five yard pass, and chasing shadows though. The one where he was the last man chasing their forward, that made me feel sad.

He could maybe be a be a Duffy/Lundstram/Gosling type where a few years at that level will get him there, but not by staying at Everton

I don't understand how you can be a local and support the team you play for and give less than 100% every game.

Surely if you cant motivate yourself to run yourself into the ground for your own team you just can't motivate yourself

I do think he does try and give his all mate, his biggest problem is he’s crap and after 100 prem games for us he’s shown that he’s not good enough for this level of footy.

He can’t tackle can’t pass not much aggression what does he offer? Just get rid and get some money back to reinvest.

Like I say, I think he's a product of the squad at the moment. There's no defined role for him to play or make his own, and that is largely down to the mess the squad is in. In a different setup with a stronger midfield around him, he could thrive. But I don't think he is the player that leads that change of attitude. I think he is quite adaptable, and while he might not have 1 particular strength that stands out, Ive always seen him as someone who is fairly comfortable in possession (at times too comfortable, which has been a problem), and is something of a link up player. He reminds me a little of Tony Grant.

I've also said this about Dowell as well, and feel he has been unfortunate in how little opportunity he has had, mostly because 2 previous managers have had an abundance of similar and far more expensive versions of him that have taken precedent over his inclusion. I wouldn't be averse to Carlo giving him a chance to prove his worth to the squad this summer and the coming season, especially if it means we could shift Sigurdsson.

With the likely turnover of midfield players we could see in the coming windows, I could see the likes of Dowell and Davies fleshing out the home grown portion of the squad, especially as they will be earning a fraction of the money Some of the senior players are on. I would much sooner get rid of Sigurdsson, Delph, Bernard over either of these 2, and put that money to work elsewhere in signing 2 actual midfield players we can rely on.

I wish you could do long-term partnerships or loans with Championship or League One sides. Davies, Dowell, Kenny might come good, but probably after 2-5 years in the lower leagues, and they'll only be 26 ish. And we have no idea without them being tested properly over a longer period.
Imagine if all our Academy investment led to a low transfer fee now, and then a massive one in 5 years when they return to the Premier league.

Dowell and Davies both need a change of position I think, because Davies needs to work in a narrower space - the open midfield idea doesn't suit him as he runs all over the place, and Dowell isn't a 'modern no.10' who needs to have more energy, pace and power for that role (unless you're David Silva)

I don't understand how you can be a local and support the team you play for and give less than 100% every game.

Surely if you cant motivate yourself to run yourself into the ground for your own team you just can't motivate yourself

I don't think there is anything wrong with his effort.

The problem is he is giving 100% of not being very good.

He's a strange one Davies because he was touted very early on in his professional career as somebody who was thought could make the step up. I'm pretty sure the England coaching staff under Hodgson invited him to train with the senior team when he was only 17, before he'd even made his senior debut for us.

He was definitely fast tracked into our senior team as well, probably before he was ready to but given that he made such a good start when he came in, it was hard to not justify it at the time.

I agree with the school of thought that he just doesn't really care about football, and hasn't dedicated to improving his game since he's been a professional. He doesn't have any outstanding technical attributes which isn't the end of the world, Jordan Henderson doesn't have any either, but he has an incredible mental attitude that allowed him to come through his difficulties at the RS and really work on his game. I just don't think Davies has the application to do the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.