Old Everton Pictures

How times change footballers of that class in those days Bally, helping and in Dennis Stephens case having to run a shop -
View attachment 93624

Sign of the times for sure. In the fashion conscious 1960s it was seen to be a natural way to attach yourself to the exploding youth culture. Then in the 70s it seemed to gravitate to running pubs and clubs. Now the top players have no need to do anything with enough money to last 10 lifetimes :(

Sorry @TangerineToffee Blues won 5-0......
1594218295055.png

1594218464331.png

And your bus fare to get out
In the early 60s there was no wire netting on the top of the pen, just the metal railings at the front. Every time the copper walked past the pen a gang of us would climb over into Gwladys St. behind his back.

It was a terrifying place the boys pen by the way. I’m not having it for one minute that Kenwright went in there every week, they’d have eaten him alive.

I was probably at that match but I can't recall. Selective memory loss :) Anyways we reserved our best for those roaches in red when visiting the big city. Bally's debut at anfield in a winning Tangerine show same year I think. Some of those players pictured played football for England. Sir Jim of course, Tony Waiters and the great Ray Charnley, a fantastic scorer of goals ;)

In the early 60s there was no wire netting on the top of the pen, just the metal railings at the front. Every time the copper walked past the pen a gang of us would climb over into Gwladys St. behind his back.

It was a terrifying place the boys pen by the way. I’m not having it for one minute that Kenwright went in there every week, they’d have eaten him alive.

Exactly this, it was truly awful in there, I went in once - not my choice btw, and never went in there again! Even the police didn’t go in there, it was like all the worst bits of Lord of the Flies all rammed into that cage:whip::rant::whip::rant:

The football Everton played under John Carey we finished 5th & he got sacked in the back of a taxi - which we later paid him out of court settlement - his Carey chicks never took off -
Gentleman John Carey -
View attachment 93613
Most of his side helped to win the league in 1963/64-
the clip below showed the style of football we played under him - reports were he was to soft with the players & not as ruthless as is successor turned out to be correct = The Catt

A few nice goals on view. And shooting from distance. I've almost forgotten what an Everton player shooting and scoring from distance is like. A few long range shots on target tomorrow night would be welcome......