Old Everton Pictures

Labby gave up the chance to be selected for England's 1966 WC winning side to get married -
1592910383345.png

....and only 56 when he passed away. There is a view that the 1970 England World Cup team he played in was better than that of ‘66.
I had that impression at the time. Home advantage in 1966 may have covered a few weak points.
4yrs on and lets say England had improved collectively overall 5% (?)
Brazil had improved imeasurably
And W Germany it has to be said had improved too.
We then have Ramsey's decision to take off Charlton, thus freeing Beckenbauer to push forward a bit ( he said this himself)...its all about fine margins - enter Bonetti.
Which came first Ramsey ceding the initiative or Bonetti bejng slow to come out
IMO, ceding the initiative.
Say we won the quarter final
Would we have beaten Italy?
Brazil in the final - again who knows ( I doubt it)
One team won it the other 'lost' it.

Its one of those subjective things, like the 69 - 70 team was legendary, the 68 - 69 team played...mostly...the better football.
Its just one of those things 'that everybody knows'
Or
Ali lost to Frazier. Foreman absolutely battered Frazier, yet Ali saw off Foreman relatively easily
Some things are just unknowable.

I had that impression at the time. Home advantage in 1966 may have covered a few weak points.
We then have Ramsey's decision to take off Charlton, thus freeing Beckenbauer to push forward a bit ( he said this himself)...its all about fine margins - enter Bonetti.

Its one of those subjective things, like the 69 - 70 team was legendary, the 68 - 69 team played...mostly...the better football.
Or
Ali lost to Frazier. Foreman absolutely battered Frazier, yet Ali saw off Foreman relatively easily
Winners are always remembered most.......

Or
That's sport.......