2019/20 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was good yesterday. He did have a couple of shakyish moments, including the one that got Keane booked when he had to step out, but Mane is a tough mark and he handled it very well all things considered.

However I'm not sure this is anything like showing he has something to offer still. He still struggles on the ball when put under any type of pressure and Iwobi gave him a ton of help by essentially playing as a RWB. To me RB is still a priority position for recruitment and Seamus should be kept around only to backup someone at this point like Baines is doing on the other side.
Well it definitely showed he still had something to offer didn't it? Even if that something is only performances like that. I'd like to upgrade in the position, of course, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

this is the sad truth no one wants to admit. Sitting deep against a team clearly not at it (maybe coronavirus has disrupted the supply line of Klopp’s special drinks) and he looked good. But we all know, in reality, that away from home against top teams when we are stretched and Coleman is expected to get up and down the flank and be an effective right back both ways he is finished. He can’t cross a ball. Played well yesterday but he’s not the answer to our right back problem.
Perhaps the demands for him to be effective Going forwards wouldn’t be so vociferous if the utter lump ahead of him had done anything going forward himself? Had Iwobi turned up, then all Coleman would have been required to do is stop Mane and get the ball to Iwobi. Coleman may well be finished going forwards, I for one do not see that as the end of him, if he is defending well. in a 442 the onus for attacking the flank is down to the wide midfielder / winger. In the derby, that wide midfielder / winger was an utter passenger! I am absolutely certain Carlo would have said to him “stop Mane, nothing else matters“. In that regards Seamus should get only praise.

this is the sad truth no one wants to admit. Sitting deep against a team clearly not at it (maybe coronavirus has disrupted the supply line of Klopp’s special drinks) and he looked good. But we all know, in reality, that away from home against top teams when we are stretched and Coleman is expected to get up and down the flank and be an effective right back both ways he is finished. He can’t cross a ball. Played well yesterday but he’s not the answer to our right back problem.
We're a club that wants to win things and move up the table. Does anyone seriously believe that keeping Coleman at right back for the forseeable is going to enable us to do that? He needs to be replaced ASAP. One half-decent defensive (only) performance doesn't change that fact one bit.

Perhaps the demands for him to be effective Going forwards wouldn’t be so vociferous if the utter lump ahead of him had done anything going forward himself? Had Iwobi turned up, then all Coleman would have been required to do is stop Mane and get the ball to Iwobi. Coleman may well be finished going forwards, I for one do not see that as the end of him, if he is defending well. in a 442 the onus for attacking the flank is down to the wide midfielder / winger. In the derby, that wide midfielder / winger was an utter passenger! I am absolutely certain Carlo would have said to him “stop Mane, nothing else matters“. In that regards Seamus should get only praise.
Seamus was able to do as well because of the unselfish hard work of Iwobi.

It was clear as crystal that the instruction to the two wide men.. Gordon and Iwobi to play deep and snuff out the threat from wide positions and in particular Mane who is a serious footballer.
If Iwobi had not been as disciplined as he was Seamus would have been isolated against Mane and that would have caused problems as it nearly did the one time he got away and Keane had to foul Mane.

We're a club that wants to win things and move up the table. Does anyone seriously believe that keeping Coleman at right back for the forseeable is going to enable us to do that? He needs to be replaced ASAP. One half-decent defensive (only) performance doesn't change that fact one bit.
Yes you are correct he does need replacing , as do 7 other first teamers .

It is a question of prioritising.

Seamus was able to do as well because of the unselfish hard work of Iwobi.

It was clear as crystal that the instruction to the two wide men.. Gordon and Iwobi to play deep and snuff out the threat from wide positions and in particular Mane who is a serious footballer.
If Iwobi had not been as disciplined as he was Seamus would have been isolated against Mane and that would have caused problems as it nearly did the one time he got away and Keane had to foul Mane.
That's all well and good when playing against Mane twice a season but Coleman/Iwobi is not a recipe for success either in the other 36 matches. We need to be more ambitious (i.e. better players) if we want to move up the league. Coleman is almost 32 as well. So what's the solution?

Coleman said Everton’s players are on trial over the remaining weeks of the season as they seek to convince Ancelotti they can improve on another mediocre campaign.

“We have to realise we have a world-class manager and as players we are fighting for our futures,” the Everton captain said. “He is new to the job and I am sure he will want to be putting his stamp on things.

“I want this club to be successful. We all need to be pushing in the right direction and giving everything we have to be part of this team. It can’t be something that just happens in periods. We need to build a culture, demanding from each other in training.

“We wanted to win [against Liverpool] and felt it was a good opportunity. We worked hard and had enough chances. The performance was good, defensively we did quite well – but it would have been good to get that win we have been craving for a while.”

Coleman said Everton’s players are on trial over the remaining weeks of the season as they seek to convince Ancelotti they can improve on another mediocre campaign.

“We have to realise we have a world-class manager and as players we are fighting for our futures,” the Everton captain said. “He is new to the job and I am sure he will want to be putting his stamp on things.

“I want this club to be successful. We all need to be pushing in the right direction and giving everything we have to be part of this team. It can’t be something that just happens in periods. We need to build a culture, demanding from each other in training.

“We wanted to win [against Liverpool] and felt it was a good opportunity. We worked hard and had enough chances. The performance was good, defensively we did quite well – but it would have been good to get that win we have been craving for a while.”

Clearly based on the showing yesterday our midfielders dont want to play for Everton.

I really wish we could skip another season of watching him take 7 touches in his own half before losing it for a throw. If Sunday showed what he still has then today showed why we need better. He's a liability with the ball.

I really wish we could skip another season of watching him take 7 touches in his own half before losing it for a throw. If Sunday showed what he still has then today showed why we need better. He's a liability with the ball.
Still very good at the defensive side but just not very good on the ball.

He has literally no idea in his mind of what he’s gonna do with the ball when someone passes it to him. I love the man but his never ending desire to wait with the ball until he’s pressed and has no space to do anything with it is the most infuriating traits of any of our players.

Still very good at the defensive side but just not very good on the ball.

He has literally no idea in his mind of what he’s gonna do with the ball when someone passes it to him. I love the man but his never ending desire to wait with the ball until he’s pressed and has no space to do anything with it is the most infuriating traits of any of our players.
Teams know about it now too. They make him the spare man to try and pass out. It's why in the second half they pushed him up field and let Gomes come wide to pass up toward Iwobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.