Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loving the CB links but can we actually sign a midfield that doesn’t rely on us playing a game plan which totally takes them out of the game?

Loving the CB links but can we actually sign a midfield that doesn’t rely on us playing a game plan which totally takes them out of the game?
The "like a new signing" thing is supposed to be a joke, but it is kind of true with Gbamin. I think one more is probably adequate. So we could maybe both sign a CB and address the other stuff.

He looked very good, I will start with that, but hes not a midfielder, we need better, he needs to improve at CB, a role he also looks very good in, I just think a midfielder requires more.
I think with a 3 in the mid like I posted with Gomes/Allan(??), you could leave him with a purely defensive mid role. He tackles well and isn't slow but his passing would be more utilised there. Similar to JPG? idk.
No idea if Todibo or Gabriel are good but if they come here and are better defenders than him I can see DM being a good spot for him to still do well for the team.

My strategy would be very simple...

Sign Todibo £20mil / Gabriel £30mil / Sarr Free / Emerson £20mil

RB: Emerson / Kenny / Coleman
CB: Holgate / Mina / Keane / Todibo / Gabriel / Gibson
LB: Digne / Baines / Sarr

We will have spent a max of £70mil on those 4 players...with a bit of negotiation, perhaps £55mil+

Im confident we could offload a couple of players to bring in £30mil which would mean £25mil -£40mil spent on 'completing' our back line.
Numbers aside, adding 4 players is the opposite of a “simple” strategy.

He looked very good, I will start with that, but hes not a midfielder, we need better, he needs to improve at CB, a role he also looks very good in, I just think a midfielder requires more.
We didn't even ask him to try and pass in midfield. When he was in there was also when we hoofed it long the most often. I don't really see that as evidence of anything other than his ability to help in a pinch.

In fact I'm still not sure he's good on the ball. Before this year he wasn't, I know everyone disagrees with that, but his passing play was to my eye very poor even if he looked confident doing it. This year has been at least better, but he's not pinging it around to the point that he can step up and be a CM.

We didn't even ask him to try and pass in midfield. When he was in there was also when we hoofed it long the most often. I don't really see that as evidence of anything other than his ability to help in a pinch.

In fact I'm still not sure he's good on the ball. Before this year he wasn't, I know everyone disagrees with that, but his passing play was to my eye very poor even if he looked confident doing it. This year has been at least better, but he's not pinging it around to the point that he can step up and be a CM.
Aye that through ball for dcl against Brighton was pure luck...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people channeling their energy into things other than the bad news that they're subjected to frequently at the minute, whether it be football or anything else.
I am more a pragmatist on these buy backs. If Mina does brilliantly for us, and we get £60m then great we can go and buy 2 or 3 of him to repeat the exercise. It's how a club like us has to operate.

Selling players, for lots of money at a huge profit is a very good problem to have. Having lads on the books, nobody can take, clogging your squad and preventing you being able to move forward is the big dilemma.

I have been a big fan of Mina from day 1 and hes underwhelmed me. I think next season is a big year for him though. He's had 2 years to settle in, and will have a more natural partner to him, but we need to see the Mina who dominates for Columbia and in South America.

the flip side is if he ever turned word class and was an 80m worry of cb... we would only get 60 and they could sell him on. We may have made money but they signed him for 10m ... didn’t play him ... sold him for 30m ... and then could buy him again and make another profit . This only happens if he develops obviously but if he is cack we are stick with another dud draining our wages.

Aye that through ball for dcl against Brighton was pure luck...
Jagielka scored a screamer at the kop end should we have moved him up top?

They're still incredibly skillful players who will occasionally be capable of great moments, it doesn't mean everyone is a midfielder.

So you're saying Holgate hasn't made more great passes than Jagielka has scored 25 yard screamers?
No. I'm saying that using Holgate making one or two or 37 great passes doesn't mean that he can play midfield because that's not all that is required to be a good passer just like scoring one or two or 37 screamers doesn't make someone a center forward because there are lots of other things that position needs too.

This will surely stir people up, but I think Michael Keane passes the ball better. There are a lot of things Keane can't do but I actually like the way he uses the ball. I would never consider him a midfielder. Holgate was put there because he has the legs to cover ground, which we needed at the time, but with Andre back, Gbamin coming back and Holgate not being that good on the ball, he's going to be a CB or not in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.