Better than 85-87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well those two things make better players, but putting that aside I'd challenge you to watch a 1987 Everton game and the watch a 2019 Manchester City game. It's a different universe skill wise.
I have watched football since early 70s,speed and fitness doesnt equate to more skill,plenty of players have been rapid and still been poor when on the ball,

But why does the skin colour matter?

To break it down, apart from the pigmentation of the skin, what makes a white American different to a black one?

There's no difference. That's my point. So it doesn't matter what colour of the skin is , Americans are being affected and dying irregardless to their skin colour.

It's absolutely racism in its purest form to distinguish a difference .

So I thought this was the worst post of the year

The only player in his position who it cannot be debated has ever in the history of Everton had anyone better than him is Neville Southall.

Easily the best goalkeeper in our history.

Even Alan Ball you could say has had peers, like Ross Barkley and Steven Pienaar

Then found this reckoning either Pienaar or Barkley were comparable to Bally.

It's been a bad day in the office guys.

I have watched football since early 70s,speed and fitness doesnt equate to more skill,plenty of players have been rapid and still been poor when on the ball,
I'm aware of that but are you seriously saying that players like Kevin De Bruyne who are faster and fitter than 99% of the players that played before 1990 are actually worse on the ball? I really hope that isn't what you're telling me...

Maybe KDB is a bad example because he's elite. But the same goes for someone like Andre Gomes.

I'm aware of that but are you seriously saying that players like Kevin De Bruyne who are faster and fitter than 99% of the players that played before 1990 are actually worse on the ball? I really hope that isn't what you're telling me...

Maybe KDB is a bad example because he's elite. But the same goes for someone like Andre Gomes.
And yet every legend comes from the era you dismiss,it was a completely different game then,you're trying to compare apples to oranges,would KDB be allowed to stroll through,Reid,Bracewell,Van den Hauwe,would VVD last 5 minutes with Billy Whitehurst, and the like,I doubt it very much,its ridiculous trying to compare 2 vastly different eras,its like trying to compare 1930s football with modern day,its impossible to do

And yet every legend comes from the era you dismiss,it was a completely different game then,you're trying to compare apples to oranges,would KDB be allowed to stroll through,Reid,Bracewell,Van den Hauwe,would VVD last 5 minutes with Billy Whitehurst, and the like,I doubt it very much,its ridiculous trying to compare 2 vastly different eras,its like trying to compare 1930s football with modern day,its impossible to do
I agree it is very hard to do, but that is because the teams of today are vastly superior to the teams of the 80s and those teams superior to the teams of the 30s.

I know it is hard to admit, everyone suffers from the "back in my day" nostalgia, but the game has improved significantly. The top players today would be strolling around without being touched for 90 minutes. You can't kick them out of the game if you can't ever get close enough to touch them.

This happens a lot with the NBA too. "These guys couldn't handle the physicality of the 90s!!" It isn't true at all but it is hard to say the skill level hasn't improved so that's what is left.

I agree it is very hard to do, but that is because the teams of today are vastly superior to the teams of the 80s and those teams superior to the teams of the 30s.

I know it is hard to admit, everyone suffers from the "back in my day" nostalgia, but the game has improved significantly. The top players today would be strolling around without being touched for 90 minutes. You can't kick them out of the game if you can't ever get close enough to touch them.

This happens a lot with the NBA too. "These guys couldn't handle the physicality of the 90s!!" It isn't true at all but it is hard to say the skill level hasn't improved so that's what is left.
Ok mate you win,Mark Noble is better than Maradonna, Cruyff is a no mark compared to Shane Long and Burnley would waltz around 1970 Brazil

Likes of Ajax in the 70's just a gang of hoof merchants mate, I mean even there best player was a chain smoker, imagine him in the modern game wouldn't last two minutes.
Come on mate Johan or KDB seriously ?
Total football v tappy tappy which do you want to watch.

Ok mate you win,Mark Noble is better than Maradonna, Cruyff is a no mark compared to Shane Long and Burnley would waltz around 1970 Brazil
Mark Noble is terrible and I think he'd have done a better job tracking Maradona in '86 than Peter Reid did, no offense to Reid like.

1970 Brazil wouldn't touch a single PL team without multiple years of fitness training. I mean look at the closing down in this video:

Mark Noble is terrible and I think he'd have done a better job tracking Maradona in '86 than Peter Reid did, no offense to Reid like.

1970 Brazil wouldn't touch a single PL team without multiple years of fitness training. I mean look at the closing down in this video:

that was played in the the Mexican summer mate, good luck playing a pressing game in those conditions even today, they didnt have water breaks then either.
Stones marking Pale the poor lad would be crying by half time for his mam to put the sudecreme on his bum because he had been put on his arse so often he would have a rash.

that was played in the the Mexican summer mate, good luck playing a pressing game in those conditions even today, they didnt have water breaks then either.
Stones marking Pale the poor lad would be crying by half time for his mam to put the sudecreme on his bum because he had been put on his arse so often he would have a rash.
You can pick any game you want. The amount of space, the amount of touches attackers can take, the intensity. It all doesn't stand up to what the average PL game produces now.

I don't want to come off like I'm completely bashing the old days, but I just hate that people act like the game hasn't progressed over 30+ years.

It's a different sport but the same argument:

The only player in his position who it cannot be debated has ever in the history of Everton had anyone better than him is Neville Southall.

Easily the best goalkeeper in our history.

Even Alan Ball you could say has had peers, like Ross Barkley and Steven Pienaar
What in the sweet baby Jesus.

...the mid-80s side is still a blueprint for organisation, blend, ability and attitude. We’ve had plenty of very good players since, but their inclusion in that side wouldn’t necessarily have enhanced it.

The pace and athleticism in the back four, 3 players with Rolls Royce engines in Stevens, Ratcliffe and van den Hauwe, ahead of an almost unbeatable keeper. A central midfield partnership who played as a pair and hunted in a pack. Two wide midfielders who created and scored a bundle. An outstanding CF who was a foil for the whole team and in partnership with a teammate was feared by defenders across Europe.

Can’t see the likes of Lukaku and Baines getting into that side. Perhaps Gueye and Cahill wouldn’t have disrupted it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.