Goodison in the 1980s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers for the responses on the blue wall. It did look pretty cool, but unfortunately there was often very few people in the lower terrace apart from the big games. It’s a shame they didn’t replace it with a steep two tier end to keep the character.

I think I saw that Dan Meis has tracked down the Littlewoods clock to incorporate in Bramley Moore.

I remember going to a derby game some time in the 80s 84/85 I think? i was about 8/9.I was the youngest of 5 of us who went 1 was same age as me the eldest was 13. . it was an all ticket game so got told by the older lads to ask people for any spares. no body said to use the spare if I got one to just go in and meet up once in. I asked a feller any spares mate.,he took what looked like lots of tickets out of his pocket and gave me one. I stood there like I had won a wonka golden ticket. I started shouting my mate who was in the crowd somewere Tommy I've got one tommmyyy ive got one waving my hand in the air holding it. trying to get through the crowd to were I'd last seen him still shouting tommmyyy and just like that it was gone some arlass among the crowd swiped it out my hand. I ended up still outside when near everyone else was inside and the game started. I trudged home alone through stanley park.

I remember going to a derby game some time in the 80s 84/85 I think? i was about 8/9.I was the youngest of 5 of us who went 1 was same age as me the eldest was 13. . it was an all ticket game so got told by the older lads to ask people for any spares. no body said to use the spare if I got one to just go in and meet up once in. I asked a feller any spares mate.,he took what looked like lots of tickets out of his pocket and gave me one. I stood there like I had won a wonka golden ticket. I started shouting my mate who was in the crowd somewere Tommy I've got one tommmyyy ive got one waving my hand in the air holding it. trying to get through the crowd to were I'd last seen him still shouting tommmyyy and just like that it was gone some arlass among the crowd swiped it out my hand. I ended up still outside when near everyone else was inside and the game started. I trudged home alone through stanley park.
Sorry mate, but I had to do what I had to do :rolleyes:

Another memory that sticks out is paying to go into Lower Gwladys and waiting for Denny Brophy (RIP Big Man) to come down from the Upper Gwladys and let us through the magic door at the end to go upstairs. Miss the sound of him walking along whistling and rattling his big bunch of keys.

Good times

The boys pen was situated at the back terrace of the Gwlady's street, at Bullen's road end.

I still have the physical and emotional scars of my time in there. :eek:

An evil evil place the boys pen! Went in once and never again - the gangs in Peaky Blinders or The Sopranos are innocent little angels compared to those that “ran” the boys pen :(:(:(!

Many of the players had attendance clauses in their contracts, which meant they would earn extra money if the attendance was over a set amount or better full.

I remember standing in the Street End with very little space, and the attendance would be announced as less than thirty-thousand.

The attendances published were pure works of fiction.

There must`ve been a good 100000 plus over for the Bayern Semi final.

my dad used to lash me in there early so he could grab a pint, always put me in with a bag Of crisps and a thirsty-pak of some fluorescent green fizzy lemon. They never lasted five minutes, someone. Would say ”gizza crisp mate“ then The next thing they were gone with the lot. I once heard one steward say to his mate “ I used to want to be a zoo keeper, but this lot put me right off” :)

Did Blackbeard the copper still do the rounds at goodison in the 80's or was he strictly the 70's. Hards as nails and used to clear gangs on his own. Had a couple of run-ins with him when I was a park end regular with my mates in the 70's ha. Saved by joining the marines in 77. Same as being a park ender except you got paid for it!

Did Blackbeard the copper still do the rounds at goodison in the 80's or was he strictly the 70's. Hards as nails and used to clear gangs on his own. Had a couple of run-ins with him when I was a park end regular with my mates in the 70's ha. Saved by joining the marines in 77. Same as being a park ender except you got paid for it!
He was there until the early 80s

80’s too mate, as he used to do the trains too.

Him and his dog were a force to be reckoned with, but he was fair with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.