Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This discussion is going around in circles. But to repeat, a legal case where the claimant argues that they may have won had they been given the opportunity to lose is on a hiding to nothing.

Nobody knows the current reality, the brightest minds aren't sure what the next 3, 6, 9 or 12 months will look like so you and I aren't likely to know.

Sure, the next season could easily run beyond May. The Euros and the Olympics have been bumped 12 months along once, they can be shuffled along a bit further to accommodate the broadcasters contractual obligations.

The 20/21 football season needs to be over before the euros and copa America. The euros and copa America need to be over before the Olympics.

That means the next club season needs to be over by no later than early June.

The Olympics wont just delay indefinitely. They will be on the dates chosen last week. Football isn't going to dictate the Olympics.

Come on man. I love your dedication to the most bizarre and ridiculous arguments, but the idea football will dictate to the Olympics is just a bit bonkers really.

9 days ago the Olympics was not being moved, yesterday UEFA effectively agreed to move the 20/21 club seasons across Europe. There will inevitably be more changes as rescheduling develops and clarity starts to appear
The Olympics is worth something like 40Bn and Ueros 20Bn as rich as the top flight competitions are they pale in comparison to these two events

True but if they start using Force Majeure which is around £750m or £37.5m each club to void the league it could bankrupt or harm the league to the brink of collapse for some clubs.

On a purely PA exercise, if Sky or BT did this the commercial impact would be horrific and any future deals as the deal ends in 2022 would heavily go against them in future negotiations.

I think Force Majeure will be accessed soon but before The League, PFA and UEFA will have to come to an arrangement to support the decision and then negotiate on repay could be added to a future deal or Premier League prize money/accounts.

I think we have to accept that payment has gone. If football thinks logically, gets rid of FFP it can survive it.

What we can't afford though, is to lose next seasons money (in it's entirety) trying to save the £750m this season. That really would bankrupt teams. We cannot afford, to prioritise this season, over being able to complete a whole season.

As a final aside, if that came in, my proposal would be, every team gets the minimum amount of money available for 1 season if the league is voided. We all share the pain together. Any left over money, donate it to the EFL.

Probably - I do wonder about the scenario where say gatherings of up to 5,000 people is permitted, but no more. If that pans out do the PL sit on their hands til they have full clearance or play behind closed doors. Im guessing the TV companies would push for behind closed doors.

My position on this is quite simple. It would mean that games could really only be played behind closed doors.

To me this would not be acceptable to implement part way through a season. That is a none starter. It might be possible, if agreement was gained to begin a competition on that basis. So if thats the guidance, we would need to immediately cancel the existing season, and enter into a dialogue with clubs to see if they wanted to start the new season on that basis. Hopefully you can gain consent.

There's no way it's fair though to implement, after the event, behind closed doors into the season. It's used as a punishment measure, so clubs who have more home games lose out. It would turn the season into a circus.

Your idea that we can change the schedule and people would like it equivalently is based on absolutely no evidence. In fact the overwhelming evidence is people wouldn’t like it.

I've never heard a single fan say they wanted it. When it's been mooted for the World Cup it has been roundly unpopular. No academic study has shown it would be beneficial. No market engagement tests have shown it yo be popular.

So the absence of evidence, is in fact overwhelming evidence?

Come on, mate.

I do accept that cancelling the season is not ideal. I also accept, we are in the lesser of two evils territory, and can completely understand someone saying the principle of cancelling a season is a greater evil than the evil of restructuring seasons.

Good, then we totally agree on that point.

I have repeatedly said that resuming is the lesser of two evils and acknowledge that there are problems with it. I'm not sure why you keep suggesting that I've said there are no consequences at all with resuming, that's patently not the case. I just believe the consequences of resuming are fewer in number and less complex than the consequences of voiding.

for perspective, 73% of Global TV spend (Broadcast rights bidding) on the Summer Olympics comes from the US, with NBC paying almost 50% of that total. They dictate the schedule, not Europe. One of the biggest concession in Japan getting the olympics was it being summer, not September, as originally proposed due to NFL.

Don't get me wrong, they will avoid clashing with the Euro's if possible, but if they have to chose between that and the NFL there is no decision to be made.
They’ve already set the new dates for both the Euros and the Olympics and when announcing both, the contractual obligations to avoid any clash was clearly referenced. So it’s a done deal, finito.

They’re not going to move either again merely to facilitate the domestic football calendar, it’s not going to happen, so you’re living on cloud cuckoo if you seriously think that next season can run into the summer months. It simply can’t.

The 20/21 football season needs to be over before the euros and copa America. The euros and copa America need to be over before the Olympics.

The Olympics wont just delay indefinitely. They will be on the dates chosen last week. Football isn't going to dictate the Olympics.

Come on man. I love your dedication to the most bizarre and ridiculous arguments, but the idea football will dictate to the Olympics is just a bit bonkers really.

*Caveat - it could probably change again tomorrow

The 20/21 season as agreed yesterday will NOT finish before the Euros...
- If, as intended (agreed yesterday), they complete leagues new season will not start til at least early September, given they need to fit extra internationals pre Euros as well there is at least 5 weeks lost
- If unsafe, there will be no football in August.

Either way - as it stands today the 20/21 season is changed significantly & it is hard to see a scenario where it gets completed pre Euros, without major restructuring (binning cups etc)

So the absence of evidence, is in fact overwhelming evidence?

Come on, mate.

The evidence is that
1) All of the leagues who operate on that schedule are the best watched, those on the alternate schedule are poorly watched.
2) The broadcasters have paid a fortune for a league that exists on that schedule, not leagues on a different schedule.
3) Nobody to my knowledge has ever issued a single complaint ever stating they wanted it moved to further improve the league.
4) The one proposed move, has been highly divisive, unpopular and people haven't liked it.

This is all evidence. I'm not sure what more you want? I'd also say, the old "if it aint broke don't fix it" rule works, so can we find any evidence to say moving the season would be a good thing?

It would be like me saying to you "show me the evidence that cancelling a season is a bad thing".

That's not my idea, nor my argument.

Why do the Euro's and the Copa America need to be over before the Olympics start?

Why is that fundamentally necessary and why do you believe broadcasters wouldn't forego that aspect of it?

Loads of sporting events run at the same time, Wimbledon, Tour De France and the World Cup are almost always on at the same time.

I'm not saying the Olympics will delay indefinitely, I'm saying the Olympics can start when they want, but if broadcasters are absolutely adamant that certain things need to be finished for them to start (which I can't see, personally) then they'll shift the Olympics back a few weeks, assuming they have that power.

What they definitely do not have the power to do is to void Football seasons 18 months prior to the Olympics, to ensure the Olympics runs on time.

They’ve already set the new dates for both the Euros and the Olympics and when announcing both, the contractual obligations to avoid any clash was clearly referenced. So it’s a done deal, finito.

They’re not going to move either again merely to facilitate the domestic football calendar, it’s not going to happen, so you’re living on cloud cuckoo if you seriously think that next season can run into the summer months. It simply can’t.

Completely agree on the Olympics, it is certainly not going to move to accommodate football.

Difference with the Euros is, I can see a scenario where UEFA propose a collective solution for all of European football, in their statement regard 2021, they refer to "As it stands" with regards to both venues and Dates, implying the door is a jar (more so for venues I would imagine)

What I am not trying to say is the Euro's is definitely going to move; just that there is a small small chance it might as far as I can read the situation, which like everyone else is just guesswork

Status
Not open for further replies.