Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No major European leagues would start in January 2021 because of the knock-on effect it would have on subsequent seasons. Club football will either return this August or August of 2021, with the 2019-20 season a figment of our imaginations. If UEFA wants to hold the Euros in the summer of 2021, it will only do do if it's prudent to do so. In short, the far less impactful solution is to void the 19-20 season and start again from scratch.

Interesting suggestion.

Do you reckon Footballs authorities, when presented with a scenario where it’s safe to play Football in January 2021, would wait a further 8 months to do so just to keep to the traditional Aug-May calendar?

I’m not so convinced. If Football isn’t being played, nobody is making any money.

Well, if you lot weren't gurning on all the time about finishing the season in the face of a global pandemic, coming up with all sorts of outlandish formulae, the latter two threads wouldn't exist. The first thread has existed, in two previous incarnations I might add, because you give us all kinds of other reasons to laugh at you with your constant bellendic behaviour.
Not me going on about finishing the season, nor voiding it a.s.a.p. as a matter of priority...

Steven-Gerrard-England-4.jpg

@number4.

Well, if you lot weren't gurning on all the time about finishing the season in the face of a global pandemic, coming up with all sorts of outlandish formulae, the latter two threads wouldn't exist. The first thread has existed, in two previous incarnations I might add, because you give us all kinds of other reasons to laugh at you with your constant bellendic behaviour.

luckily the world's greatest fans over on rawk, don't have any threads on us at all, only complimentary one's lol

Interesting suggestion.

Do you reckon Footballs authorities, when presented with a scenario where it’s safe to play Football in January 2021, would wait a further 8 months to do so just to keep to the traditional Aug-May calendar?

I’m not so convinced. If Football isn’t being played, nobody is making any money.

Starting in January 2021 means the season ends around Oct. 1 unless you play twice a week and eliminate the two domestic cups plus the CL and EL. That would entail roughly a 20-week schedule that would finish at the end of May. That would allow a return to the normal August start for the 21-22 season. The only roadblocks to that are the Euros -- trying to shoehorn them in between might be an issue. In any case, the 19-20 season would have to be voided. Sorry, Cooks.

Interesting suggestion.

I don't think finishing the 2019/20 season in May 2021 is really on the cards Cookachoo.

Not me going on about finishing the season, nor voiding it a.s.a.p. as a matter of priority...

You lot ARE going on about finishing the season. You're the only ones promoting that agenda. Why the hell are you even on this forum? Are you seriously that bereft of self-awareness?

Starting in January 2021 means the season ends around Oct. 1 unless you play twice a week and eliminate the two domestic cups plus the CL and EL. That would entail roughly a 20-week schedule that would finish at the end of May. That would allow a return to the normal August start for the 21-22 season.

That still doesn’t answer the question. Assuming this current season is voided and it’s only safe to return to Football “normality” in January 2021, why would the authorities wait 8 months till August 2021 to resume the traditional Football calendar?

Why is it so important that the season runs Aug-May?

Right Canuck - What do you think should happen if there is no football until Jan 2021 due to Coronavirus, assuming all leagues 19/20 leagues are void........

Look forward to your insight

Oddly I can see this being one scenario, where possibly the argument to finish this season may come back round. A situation where it's impossible to complete a whole season, and even potentially half a season it may make sense.

There are still enormous difficulties, most notably around the contractual status of players, but that scenario would be a really difficult one. Most others I think are quite clean cut.

That still doesn’t answer the question. Assuming this current season is voided and it’s only safe to return to Football “normality” in January 2021, why would the authorities wait 8 months till August 2021 to resume the traditional Football calendar?

The traditional football calendar would resume in June 2021 when the Euros starts actually Cooks.

No major European leagues would start in January 2021 because of the knock-on effect it would have on subsequent seasons. Club football will either return this August or August of 2021, with the 2019-20 season a figment of our imaginations. If UEFA wants to hold the Euros in the summer of 2021, it will only do do if it's prudent to do so. In short, the far less impactful solution is to void the 19-20 season and start again from scratch.

Do you really think they will sit on their hands for 5-7 months with no football and no revenue, while more & more teams go bankrupt for the sake of the traditional cadence of the season?

I think from Day one they have a greenlight to play, they (probably UEFA in conjunction with leagues) will need football and revenue back up and running no matter what time of year.

Because it always has? Because that allows for international competitions to be played in the summer (unless the idiots at FIFA decide to put it in a desert)? Because there are other sports that get televised in football's offseason? Because some stadiums are used for other things in the summer? Why is it so important to you that it doesn't run August-May?

Status
Not open for further replies.