Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are ahead in the sense that the virus is already worse there. But they caught it late. They had more cases than here - far more - by the time they took the action.

The gov are - rightly are wrongly - attempting to delay the impact because they know the NHS can't handle it.

Italy had to go into lockdown so quickly because they were so late in getting to the virus in the first place. That week of hesitation/not knowing about those cases in the north did for them. So while the action has been swift once they knew, it's had to be so dramatic because of that time missed.

I think the gov's plan is that they know this is gonna happen now but thankfully we've had fair warning. It's unfortunately not feasible to put the entire nation into lockdown for three months. It just isn't.

Schools can't be shut for three months, for example. What's going to happen to the parents? They'll need to work to be able to keep going. So who cares for the kids? Grandparents? So that just creates another problem.

I agree entirely that sporting events should already have been cancelled. That's on the gov but also on the daft PL and EFL money men. Now it's impacted them directly that will change.

But we are where we are with it. Nothing is going to stop it now so the only hope is to manage how and when people are infected. I know it sounds awful but it's the only thing which can be done since the gov have gone down this path.

I imagine mass quarantine/school closures etc will come in mid-April in the Easter holidays (schools would already have been shut for example). And they'll be hoping it's a gradual rise and then fall over a six/seven week period up until the start of the summer.
Regarding schools, my Mum works at a school that is part of a regional school trust, and they are considering doubling the 2-week easter term break, by adding an extra week either side of the usual two, because of the rapid spread.

Screenshot_20200313-061527_Chrome.jpg

Ah yes but in the UK we haven’t been testing the general population unless they could prove they had contact with a known source.

Professional sportspeople and the famous/wealthy would have access to testing that we mere mortals would never have.

The UK government seems to have the opinion/agenda that if we haven’t tested for it it’s not there.

They stopped giving figures for internal transmission a good few days ago.

I wasn’t commenting on how available tests are to the average joe more highlighting someone doesn’t need to look like they have the flu around you to pass it on to you.

Have to say - if the PL are concerned enough to decide to cancel fixtures today, despite the money collection they stand to lose out on, it says all you need to know about the incompetent government who are ONLY concerned with the effect in the economy and allowing the elimination of the elderly and frail tax burden.

In my eyes everything should be cancelled and then next seasons CL should be a copy of who was in it this season.
I'd half go down that line. But I'd freeze the relegation and promotion places and get them played behind closed doors in May, one-off games bottom three against top three, winners are in Premier League next season. Whoever is in European places now gets it next season, but no winners announced for any competitions this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.