Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spread the peak out as much as possible.

It's probably why they're not banning events yet. They want people to get it. Because a huge percentage of the population will get it anyway.

So try get a lot to get it now, then ban events, spread the impact out over a longer period.

The NHS can handle 2-3 'steadier' months. It can't handle 2-3 weeks of mass infection.
Your post is contradictory. Everyone gets it now and there is massive surge in demand for medical services.

Cancel all public events and slow the rate of infection down and do it immediately so the NHS doesn't get overwhelmed.

Your post is contradictory. Everyone gets it now and there is massive surge in demand for medical services.

Cancel all public events and slow the rate of infection down and do it immediately so the NHS doesn't get overwhelmed.

Again I'm not saying I agree with the logic but that's what it seems they are doing.

Cancelling public events hasn't slowed down the impact in any country so far. The virus is already here.

I think the games/events should be cancelled. But it won't slow it down, not at all. And the worst is still 2 weeks away you'd think. So it seems they're actively trying to get people infected before the peak, to spread it out.

Again I'm not saying I agree with the logic but that's what it seems they are doing.

Cancelling public events hasn't slowed down the impact in any country so far. The virus is already here.

I think the games/events should be cancelled. But it won't slow it down, not at all. And the worst is still 2 weeks away you'd think. So it seems they're actively trying to get people infected before the peak, to spread it out.
Because the horse has already bolted out the gate. The choice now is do we move stuff out of the horse's way or let it crash through everything it sees.

I'd also like to see some sort of citations that it hasn't had any effect because it comes across as just being your opinion. Is there any data out there to support that claim?

Logically cancelling public events is going to limit the amount of opportunities infected people have to transmit this to those who aren't.

Don't assign to malice what can easily be explained by incompetence, especially where this virus is concerned. It's all reactionary and nobody has a perfect plan to address it.

You can cancel all public events or whatever but those events are having very little impact in the spread of the virus compared to, say, public transport. Which you can't just shut down with ease can you.
But it's a good place to start no?

Any possibility of reducing the infection rate and strain on medical services is going to be a good step to take.

If the question is whether they are going far enough then the answer shouldn't be to simply do nothing or less than they can.

Boris Johnson on why sporting events continue in Britain: "It is very important that we are guided by the science. there is very little epidemiological or medical reason at the moment to ban such (sporting) events."

You can cancel all public events or whatever but those events are having very little impact in the spread of the virus compared to, say, public transport. Which you can't just shut down with ease can you.

As you say its here now and will spread regardless - we just have to hope a Vaccine is found sharpish.

Really hard to accept the reality when the stats are that this virus has been around for weeks if not months yet out of 65 million+ peeps in the country less than 6 hundred have been confirmed. What's happening now seems about right so possibly not yet the right time to cancel the football. Sorry if that sounds callous.

Status
Not open for further replies.