Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest difference there is mortality rate;
COVID-19 = 3 or 4%,
seasonal flu = less than 0.1%.

Yet people will still say "its just the flu"...
I think people arnt sure probably because loads of people have had the virus and suffered very little symptoms. 1 lady said she thought she just had jetlag. We probably wont know the rate till it's all over

Speaking as someone who has worked in the medical field for twenty years and counting, got swine flu in 2009 and was left with pneumonia, then developed lung trouble which lasted six years, personally I understand people’s concern but I think, considering that over 90% of people infected will get mild symptoms and recover, that there is a lot of unnecessary hysteria going on currently.
3-6% MORTALITY RATE

I think it's pretty clear the UK gov are delaying doing what Italy have already done in order to attempt to ease the strain.

NHS is already at breaking point for a multitude of reasons – one of those factors is we're currently still in winter flu season.

I genuinely think once we come out of that then they'll start quarantining. Maybe that's next week or in two weeks' time - but it will happen.

All this 'take it on the chin' stuff - yes it's nonsense, of course it is. But it's just delay tactics. There will need to be more space free in the hospitals and at the moment there just isn't - again for a lot of reasons.
So basically, this is what they're doing

Spread the peak out as much as possible.

It's probably why they're not banning events yet. They want people to get it. Because a huge percentage of the population will get it anyway.

So try get a lot to get it now, then ban events, spread the impact out over a longer period.

The NHS can handle 2-3 'steadier' months. It can't handle 2-3 weeks of mass infection.

Status
Not open for further replies.