Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as one premier league footballer/first team staff member gets it, then that is a whole squad/staff out of a fixture. Then we will see postponement and cancellations.

Wolves have asked to postpone their game with Olympiakos whose owner tested positive and so their players have just been tested - but not had the results. UEFA denied their request.

Imagine if more tests come back positive and they force Wolves players into quarantine - I'd be taking legal action

How do you decide who makes the playoffs? Thats a massive can of worms. Does every team play a one off or do you draw a line for Europe and relegation.

Well we gave a big say in that. Watch it be behind closed doors so we lose the home advantage

Most likely the top 4 in a playoff. You can't really include the top 8 as the 8th place team might be 30 points behind.

Wolves statement

Wolves can confirm that a formal request submitted to UEFA proposing the postponement of Thursday’s Europa League tie at Olympiacos has been rejected by the governing body.
The match will take place, behind closed doors, in line with the Greek government’s enforced temporary suspension of spectators attending sporting events, to limit the spread of coronavirus (Covid-19) in Greece.
Our position is that the trip poses unnecessary risks to our players, staff, supporters and the families of all who travel, at such critical and uncertain times.
Our concern is also for our opponents, whose players and staff have today been tested, and will now be expected to play their part in an important fixture, under the difficult and challenging circumstances of their owner suffering with the virus.
There is also disappointment that the match will be played without home and away supporters, as that is part of what makes European competition so special, as well as the fact our fans have already contended with similar obstacles on our Europa League journey already this season.
We believe that there are some things that are more important than football, and that the good health of our pack and the general public is one of them. However, we respect the decision of UEFA and the integrity of the competition, and we will travel tomorrow to Greece to play the fixture.
We hope that our request to UEFA, and our acceptance of their decision, can act as the catalyst for them to consider alternative options moving forwards, as this will not be the last fixture to be affected by coronavirus.

Most likely the top 4 in a playoff. You can't really include the top 8 as the 8th place team might be 30 points behind.

But thats what I mean, where do you draw the line when everything is still mathematically possible for most teams in each league. We are only 10 points off relegation but 8 off Europe both are easily achievable. Do we play in a European playoff and a relegation one?

Thats inconcievable. You would have to scrap it and start from the end of last season. There would be winners and losers in this scenario but its the fairest.

But thats what I mean, where do you draw the line when everything is still mathematically possible for most teams in each league. We are only 10 points off relegation but 8 off Europe both are easily achievable. Do we play in a European playoff and a relegation one?

Thats inconcievable. You would have to scrap it and start from the end of last season. There would be winners and losers in this scenario but its the fairest.

Really good question. I think the FA will 'try' and let the season finish before they have to take any action but events might get beyond them with coronavirus.

Going to be really tricky.

I'd imagine they will review it after that.
They are being pro active in fairness
Fair enough, but the situation won't have changed by then. They won't be able to finish the season and the only options as I see it is to play in empty stadiums
or cancel the season. Very drastic, I know, but it's one or the other.

Fair enough, but the situation won't have changed by then. They won't be able to finish the season and the only options as I see it is to play in empty stadiums
or cancel the season. Very drastic, I know, but it's one or the other.
That's what they are goin doing now .
And will probably continue to do so.
Why make a decision now when you can review again and go from there

In all seriousness lads, I think this has become very serious and football should be the last thing on everyone's minds. Postponing, stopping, or having non-attended sports events isn't even a very drastic action to take given the risk that we are facing.

Now that that an MP who has been in contact with everyone at Westminster has contracted the virus I expect the Government to finally start taking serious measures. It is now time, and any further delay will be a dereliction of duty.

In all seriousness lads, I think this has become very serious and football should be the last thing on everyone's minds. Postponing, stopping, or having non-attended sports events isn't even a very drastic action to take given the risk that we are facing.

Now that that an MP who has been in contact with everyone at Westminster has contracted the virus I expect the Government to finally start taking serious measures. It is now time, and any further delay will be a dereliction of duty.
And some of those same politicians have met the Queen this week.
That would make it interesting.

@Kurt

What about just not ending the season, and carrying it on into the next as a double-length 56 game season? Wouldn't have to worry about the movement up and down the leagues then.

What about just not ending the season, and carrying it on into the next as a double-length 56 game season? Wouldn't have to worry about the movement up and down the leagues then.

How do you do the draws for Europe or fixture list that takes planning. Clubs also have to plan for relegation and promotion etc- transfers happening. You cant just say the season is finished on the sunday and the new one starts the following week.

Players need breaks, international games get played etc. Thats not feasible

They should cancel it all incuding the summer Euros and start in August as usual. That gives them a few months to sort everything out. Maybe give clubs an equal payout of the league places fund and ensure money is provided to lower clubs

Getafe owner refusing to play in Italy against Inter. Considering Italy is quarantined and instructions to only travel when essential, he is right.

How is a football match considered essential. Its also awful that Getafe have to remove themselves from a prestigious competition to ensure their players welfare.

Pure greed at work here

Status
Not open for further replies.