2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just think the Ancelotti appointment was the wrong time and wrong place. We need a young manager with long term vision who the owners will stick behind whilst we lose and draw, like Chelsea and Man U are doing.

How young is young?

We tried Martinez and Silva who I would consider young, Martinez certainly had a vision of how he wanted the team to play yet it went pear shaped after his 1st season.

You say the owners need to stick behind the manager, but in reality the atmosphere at Goodison was getting so toxic that they had to get rid of Martinez, Koeman and Silva.

Ancelotti is the first truly elite manager we have had in my lifetime and I'm including Howard Kendall in that and you may not rate him, but myself and other blues still cannot believe we have got a manager of such a worldwide reputation.

How young is young?

We tried Martinez and Silva who I would consider young, Martinez certainly had a vision of how he wanted the team to play yet it went pear shaped after his 1st season.

You say the owners need to stick behind the manager, but in reality the atmosphere at Goodison was getting so toxic that they had to get rid of Martinez, Koeman and Silva.

Ancelotti is the first truly elite manager we have had in my lifetime and I'm including Howard Kendall in that and you may not rate him, but myself and other blues still cannot believe we have got a manager of such a worldwide reputation.

obviously there is no-one who can disagree with you about carlo being our first elite manager, my only problem with him right now is playing 4-4-2 with three CMs albeit davies played on the wings. if moyes or someone played people out of posistion people would have the pitchforks out, but apparently not Carlo when he plays davies at LM and siggy at CM (even though he has played bad hes done alot more in a two than i thought he would) but obviously carlo hasnt had enough time to get the players he wanted in. if he wants to get us into europe he really needs to play to our strengths and sadly with some of the players that start he's negating our strengths. and players like keane (is perfect for a sitting deep team not us) davies hasnt got the pace or crossing ability among others to play as a LM. i think iwobi might go in the summer seeing as he would rather play davies there but i could be wrong.

Point taken. But when you are not willing to change a formation, despite all its obvious shortcomings, then you have to question if the formation had become inseparable from his football philosophy.

Yes, his preferred formation is 4-2-3-1. But that says very little about philosophy. Juanmo Lillo, is considered one of the founders of the formation, and he says the following about his intention with the formation:

"My intention was to pressure and to try to steal the ball high up the pitch,"

"It was the most symmetrical way I could find of playing with four forwards. One of the great advantages is that having the forwards high allows you to play the midfield high and the defence high, so everybody benefits. But you have to have the right players. They have to be very, very mobile and they have to be able to play when they get the ball. You have to remember that they're pressuring to play, not playing to pressure".

I think Silva focused more on defensive stability and was too scared to lose. Especially after the results got worse. A little like we've seen Mourinho in recent years. We didn't have very mobile players either, and we rarely managed to link up with the offensive players. We got too deep, and the transition from defense to attack went too late. I think Silva had a lot of great thoughts, but mixed with some awful transfers, a squad that was unbalanced, relatively inexperienced as a manager in such a big club (high expectations), led to the fear of losing got bigger than wanting to win.

Big Sven just said on MNF Carlo is the expert on 442. Points out the gaps on Sunday between defence, midfield, attack.

To me that's purely down to pace or legs. Getting back into shape and closing down, breaking in attack with 3 up top and 3 at the back.

Will definitely see some out goings and incomings to fit that system.

Was pointed out there was nothing wrong in the idea which is as clear as day. Just didn't pan out Sunday.

Big Sven just said on MNF Carlo is the expert on 442. Points out the gaps on Sunday between defence, midfield, attack.

To me that's purely down to pace or legs. Getting back into shape and closing down, breaking in attack with 3 up top and 3 at the back.

Was pointed out there was nothing wrong in the idea which is as clear as day. Just didn't pan out Sunday.
I mean the warning sign was there for the midfield it has been for a long time, Chelsea just took massive advantage of it.

Roy Hodgson is also an expert on 4-4-2. But did Sven mention why CS didn't get DCL / Richarlison to mark Billy Boy in the build up play? For me, this was a tactically weak decision.

I don’t know why you’re all raging about what he said though - he’s right. Doesn’t matter if he was a rubbish or a good manager, he’s right.

Too many of our fans think that Ancelotti will turn us into Man City. No one seems to have studied him as an actual manager and what he brings.

Firstly, Ancelotti is from the old school of pragmatic coach. He’s like the Mourinho’s and Benitez’s of this world. Nothing wrong with that - all of these coaches have won the big prizes. Just don’t ever expect Everton to play beautiful football under CA, won’t happen.

Secondly, CA has always worked with ready-made squads full of world class players with winning mentality. This is the first time I’ve known CA walk into a ‘project’. There’s absolutely no guarantee that he’s the right kind of manager to build a young, hungry squad. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see it happening.

Ancelotti is one of those “get the fans onside” appointments and you can’t blame Moshiri for going for him, it sent a statement of intent.

But unless we can get around FFP and bin off most the squad and bring in actual quality like Koulibaly, Jadon Sancho, Partey etc then we’re in for a rough ride.

Why would any of the above type of player want to come here for a start when we’re not even in the Europa League? Again, we’re competing with the likes of Wolves and even they look in better shape than we do right now. But you’ve got to start somewhere and we’ve appointed CA not David Moyes thank god so at least we’re learning on that front.

I just think the Ancelotti appointment was the wrong time and wrong place. We need a young manager with long term vision who the owners will stick behind whilst we lose and draw, like Chelsea and Man U are doing.

My prediction is that we’ll only be able to sign two or three players in the summer because of FFP, we will struggle again next season - CA will stick with 442 and our fans will get impatient, myself included. Rinse, repeat.
What about the experience of a Carlo brain in a Nigel Pearson body? A ruthless Carlo!

Roy Hodgson is also an expert on 4-4-2. But did Sven mention why CS didn't get DCL / Richarlison to mark Billy Boy in the build up play? For me, this was a tactically weak decision.

For the 2nd goal, was just a good turn and awareness from Gilmore to split our midfield as we got back into shape. The rest was just training ground passing through the lines.

The whole thing isn't helped when you hear a player like Siggurdson made only 4 sprints all game and won zero tackles.

DCL misses a chance to claw us back into it...but the game was done by then. Heads went.

How young is young?

Respect is everything for a manager. That's why Lampard will do well at Chelsea.

I don’t know why you’re all raging about what he said though - he’s right. Doesn’t matter if he was a rubbish or a good manager, he’s right.

Too many of our fans think that Ancelotti will turn us into Man City. No one seems to have studied him as an actual manager and what he brings.

Firstly, Ancelotti is from the old school of pragmatic coach. He’s like the Mourinho’s and Benitez’s of this world. Nothing wrong with that - all of these coaches have won the big prizes. Just don’t ever expect Everton to play beautiful football under CA, won’t happen.

Secondly, CA has always worked with ready-made squads full of world class players with winning mentality. This is the first time I’ve known CA walk into a ‘project’. There’s absolutely no guarantee that he’s the right kind of manager to build a young, hungry squad. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see it happening.

Ancelotti is one of those “get the fans onside” appointments and you can’t blame Moshiri for going for him, it sent a statement of intent.

But unless we can get around FFP and bin off most the squad and bring in actual quality like Koulibaly, Jadon Sancho, Partey etc then we’re in for a rough ride.

Why would any of the above type of player want to come here for a start when we’re not even in the Europa League? Again, we’re competing with the likes of Wolves and even they look in better shape than we do right now. But you’ve got to start somewhere and we’ve appointed CA not David Moyes thank god so at least we’re learning on that front.

My prediction is that we’ll only be able to sign two or three players in the summer because of FFP, we will struggle again next season - CA will stick with 442 and our fans will get impatient, myself included. Rinse, repeat.
Absolutely entitled to your opinion mate.

Mine is that you've typed probably the most negative thing you could have without any real foundation. You're articulate, fine, but there's no much substance at all to it.

You mix things together to cover all bases but they're inconsistent as a context.

So Madrid, Napoli, AC Milan... They all played very nice football. So he has previous for that despite you saying we can't expect that at Everton.

Ahhh but then there's your other primary point about him not ever having a project to work with and instead only ever has good players. Even if that's correct, which it isn't given his work at Parma, it still doesn't go with the idea that he's a pragmatist whilst using the likes of Zidane.

You say you want a young manager but we've had them in Martinez and Silva.

There's nothing wrong with just not liking an appointment because your image of Everton is very different to Ancelotti. You want a younger, more handsome South American perhaps. That's fine.

But you're shoe horning a justification rather than having genuine concerns. Put another way, you're finding concerns to suit your agenda

And you may be found to be right. But for now I'm glad to say it seems apparent most people think you're a lunatic for not being ecstatic with a manager of the quality of Ancelotti.

For the 2nd goal, was just a good turn and awareness from Gilmore to split our midfield as we got back into shape. The rest was just training ground passing through the lines.

The whole thing isn't helped when you hear a player like Siggurdson made only 4 sprints all game and won zero tackles.

DCL misses a chance to claw us back into it...but the game was done by then. Heads went.

Of course, that doesn't help, and I don't think it would have made much difference either. However, as you can see from the link, Billy can operate in a space without any pressure. Right up to one of our midfielders has to put pressure on him, which leaves a lot of space and allows him to play through our lines. This is how Chelsea exploits its numerical advantage time and time again.

Absolutely entitled to your opinion mate.

Mine is that you've typed probably the most negative thing you could have without any real foundation. You're articulate, fine, but there's no much substance at all to it.

You mix things together to cover all bases but they're inconsistent as a context.

So Madrid, Napoli, AC Milan... They all played very nice football. So he has previous for that despite you saying we can't expect that at Everton.

Ahhh but then there's your other primary point about him not ever having a project to work with and instead only ever has good players. Even if that's correct, which it isn't given his work at Parma, it still doesn't go with the idea that he's a pragmatist whilst using the likes of Zidane.

You say you want a young manager but we've had them in Martinez and Silva.

There's nothing wrong with just not liking an appointment because your image of Everton is very different to Ancelotti. You want a younger, more handsome South American perhaps. That's fine.

But you're shoe horning a justification rather than having genuine concerns. Put another way, you're finding concerns to suit your agenda

And you may be found to be right. But for now I'm glad to say it seems apparent most people think you're a lunatic for not being ecstatic with a manager of the quality of Ancelotti.
Thats not the word I would have used ,but most of them are Lunatics anyway

See what happens when he spends money and the honeymoon period is done.
BUT the plus side for him is he's bringing kids through and will be signing younger players. He's got a good quality squad that only needs tweeking. And these young players will be thinking - "Playing for Lampard WOW! This guys won everything in football except the World Cup"

Status
Not open for further replies.