2019/20 Leighton Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good game with those old *cough legs of his, actually thought we had some dangerous corners on Sunday.

I think he's worth another years contract. The lad still hits great dead balls, he is a blue through and through and nothing like as quick as he was he retains a good positional sense. Leighton is also a great lad in the changing room

He's played well and can do a job against clubs that attack and give him space at the other end. would be fine w/ him staying another year.

Don't really have a problem keeping to 1-2 long term vets for part time work. Loyalty works both ways I think the younger players notice that when/if a bigger club comes calling.

This is why we never get anywhere as a club: "let's hand another contract to a 35 year old. He's a 'good lad'."

FFS, are we serious about every getting back to the top? Would any CL spot chasing club be seriously contemplating making do and mend in a postion or would they be looking to have class in strength in every position?

I'd rather go out and get that LB kid from Hearts - 17 years old and head and shoulders above Baines even now.

This is why we never get anywhere as a club: "let's hand another contract to a 35 year old. He's a 'good lad'."

FFS, are we serious about every getting back to the top? Would any CL spot chasing club be seriously contemplating making do and mend in a postion or would they be looking to have class in strength in every position?

I'd rather go out and get that LB kid from Hearts - 17 years old and head and shoulders above Baines even now.
Soft as crap some everton fans.

Hasn’t he only played like 5 games?
Good job too, he's done ok, but at his age 1 game a week, not Sat, Wed, Sat, Wed, Sat etc is a good thing. There are blank weeks coming up too.
A fully fit Digne will walk back in of course.
But before he goes, just for old times sake, I'd like to see one more 'Baines Special' free kick.
Vs the rs will do nicely

This. I like him, but I don't know why people feel like we need to wait until a player literally can't kick a ball straight anymore before we release them. Haven't people learned from Neville, Osman, Hibbert, Howard, Jagielka etc? Be proactive, plan for the future, and let Baines leave on a high while playing decent.

This. I like him, but I don't know why people feel like we need to wait until a player literally can't kick a ball straight anymore before we release them. Haven't people learned from Neville, Osman, Hibbert, Howard, Jagielka etc? Be proactive, plan for the future, and let Baines leave on a high while playing decent.
The other thing is, looking back on Sunday, yes Baines did a few things right (and I pointed out what they were on the day). But he's fresh as a daisy. He's hardly stepped on the pitch all year, having the odd game to tick him over. Of course he'll have a game where he's energised at this stage of the season against players with loads of games in their legs.

He's ok for a game or two max. But we cant be handing out very good wages for another year to secure a player who wont cope with a whole season if called upon.

As said, the lad Hickey at Hearts looks a player and he's a kid who will get better. Less than £10M to Hearts and he'd be ours, and he wouldn't be on Baines level wages. The deal would pay for itself and we'd have a fantastic prospect. And if not Hickey then some other young prospect needs to come in.

The other thing is, looking back on Sunday, yes Baines did a few things right (and I pointed out what they were on the day). But he's fresh as a daisy. He's hardly stepped on the pitch all year, having the odd game to tick him over. Of course he'll have a game where he's energised at this stage of the season against players with loads of games in their legs.

He's ok for a game or two max. But we cant be handing out very good wages for another year to secure a player who wont cope with a whole season if called upon.

As said, the lad Hickey at Hearts looks a player and he's a kid who will get better. Less than £10M to Hearts and he'd be ours, and he wouldn't be on Baines level wages. The deal would pay for itself and we'd have a fantastic prospect. And if not Hickey then some other young prospect.
One thing that money cannot buy is a presence in the locker room. The lad may not play all that much, hell once Digne gets back healthy, he will probably not play the rest of the year. But that mentoring of Digne and all the young men goes a long way in the locker room and on the pitch. Alot more may go on than the eyes see. An example I will bring up is Kompany. We knew he was dead to rights for like 3 seasons going. He just brought that little something to Man City to carry them to a record breaking season (Not saying we will break records but you get where I am coming from.) I would either offer him a deal to keep him around or try to convince him to come to the staff for next year.

One thing that money cannot buy is a presence in the locker room. The lad may not play all that much, hell once Digne gets back healthy, he will probably not play the rest of the year. But that mentoring of Digne and all the young men goes a long way in the locker room and on the pitch. Alot more may go on than the eyes see. An example I will bring up is Kompany. We knew he was dead to rights for like 3 seasons going. He just brought that little something to Man City to carry them to a record breaking season (Not saying we will break records but you get where I am coming from.) I would either offer him a deal to keep him around or try to convince him to come to the staff for next year.
He stabbed his own team mates in the back in a tv studio when they were playing a European match and he was out injured.

I know what my reaction would have been to the Judas tit if he'd done it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.