2019/20 Leighton Baines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single cross we've ever faced out on our left when Baines has played he's stood 5 yards off, and when the cross is struck he's always on the turn side-on or turning his back to it. Always.

It's cost us scores of goals in his time here. An appalling defender, IMO. He was great getting forward as one of two wide men when Pienaar was here, but his fall from grace can be dated to the break up of that partnership. Basically, Pienaar sacrificed his time here to provide a base for Baines to play from.
I don't agree with your assessment but I do think it's kind of you to have taken on an understudy.

Baines played like a cowardly, yellow bellied, spineless turd today. His passes didn't even go sideways, they all went backwards, which put unnecessary pressure on our central defenders. Not ONCE did he make a purposeful, forward or decisive pass today. Hiding by passing the buck to others to deal with the ball. The, 'I didn't give the ball away so no-one can blame me', attitude. Always chose the easy option 5yard backward pass. Well, my gran can do that. I'm sorry, but this spineless, cowardly attitude doesn't cut it at the top level anymore. He was a passenger today, and in fact he was worse; we played with ten men today. a non-entity. A sad excuse for a footballer. Shouldn't be allowed near an Everton shirt again. A disgraceful display of football from him.

... and also linking up play really well with Richarlison after Kean came on.
Guess you had to watch with an open mind to see that though lol
Gave Richarlison no help all afternoon. The poor lad was left to run up and down that line all day on his own. All Baines did was get 2/3rds the way up the pitch, check and pass square or back. No overlapping at all.

Richarlison's heart must have sank when he heard Digne was unfit.

Honestly I'd stick him next to Gomes and what us play through teams.

He reads the game so well, covers more park then Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin and Delph put together plus plays forward passes.

Leighton Baines plays better with Bernard in front of him, Richarlison offers him no help at all. Not that it matters since, at 35 years old, his appearances will be very far and few between.

Status
Not open for further replies.