2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a good prospect but now there's some expectation I think it will be interesting to see how things go in the next few games, he certainly missed a couple of clear chances late in the game, when Arsenal were all over the place. Do others think Carlo could start Kean for a couple of games?

Why would he?

You are replacing a player who missed a couple of clear chances as we are calling it with someone who gets no chances.

Delusional madness on here.
He’s could/should have got more goals yesterday, but he is clearly still improving and learning under Ancelotti. He is getting better and better. Our summer money needs spending elsewhere rather than replacing him ...

... like on a top quality player to replace Sigurdsson? And a right back?

We are all upset with his finishing yesterday, but some of it was bad luck or just bad timing.

He’s far from one of our main concerns and I’m quite excited to see how good him and Richy could be as an attacking unit with better players around them.

What are we going to do when we get this experienced striker and realize that nobody takes all their chances with 100% accuracy? Most strikers with a high scoring ratio have one because they get tons of chances.
true but the top ones do more than most, DCL aint gonna be the striker we need to push on. DCL pickford they can get sold imo

We are all upset with his finishing yesterday, but some of it was bad luck or just bad timing.

He’s far from one of our main concerns and I’m quite excited to see how good him and Richy could be as an attacking unit with better players around them.
Quote MOTD 2 last night when he missed that header, with his head in is hands - "what a shame that was as he has had a magnificent game"
In reflection he and Richarliton fed on scraps ....with our midfield for 3/4 of that game......plus a leaky defence and that's what the panel highlighted poor defending........

so you want to sell him because he’s not Harry Kane?

sound!

The same Kane who's scored less goals in more game time? :)

(off the bbc sport site)

OK. Someone like defoe.

DCL has miles better attributes than him but one thing he doesn't have is the natural instinct of finishing.

He is allowed to have strengths and weaknesses and people are allowed to point them out.

Jermaine Defoe managed to best DCL current goal tally 4 times in 18 years across a season.

I like Defoe as well. But theres always a revisionism that players are better than what they are if they dont play for your team. I remember it was also true with Lukaku, who we sort of talked ourselves into thinking was replaceable.

Calvert Lewin isn't the perfect forward, but is doing very well for a 22 year old. Marcus Rashford who is the same age, has never scored 12 league goals from open play in any season. Yet people hold him up as some higher level finisher than Calvert Lewin.

No. He’s consistent. Consistently mediocre. It’s the people who were convinced that a couple of goals made him Gary Lineker that need to reflect. Those misses yesterday summed him up.

Yet since Gary Lineker only 1 player is likely to have scored more goals than him in a league season for us.

Hes not Lineker, who's one of the 10 English strikers of all time. However hes clearly a very talented 22 year old player, who is improving every game and has an enviable scoring rate.

At some point people are going to have to acknowledge hes doing very well and we are fortunate to have him.

According to some at this time last year DCL was just not a Premiership standard striker and should not be in the team.

This year, he is a Premiership standard player but not good enough for Everton, scoring 12 Premiership goals apparently is not enough.

If he improves further next season, what will the argument against him be then ?

According to some at this time last year DCL was just not a Premiership standard striker and should not be in the team.

This year, he is a Premiership standard player but not good enough for Everton, scoring 12 Premiership goals apparently is not enough.

If he improves further next season, what will the argument against him be then ?

Today he's not Shearer. That one blew my mind a little.

Quote MOTD 2 last night when he missed that header, with his head in is hands - "what a shame that was as he has had a magnificent game"
In reflection he and Richarliton fed on scraps ....with our midfield for 3/4 of that game......plus a leaky defence and that's what the panel highlighted poor defending........

How did they feed on scraps? We dominated and created 5 or 6 great chances in the second half.

OK. Someone like defoe.

DCL has miles better attributes than him but one thing he doesn't have is the natural instinct of finishing.

He is allowed to have strengths and weaknesses and people are allowed to point them out.

Defoe was never a prolific goalscorer. Mad how many people bang on about his natural goalscoring instinct, he’s a 1 in 4.5 striker.

Why would he?

You are replacing a player who missed a couple of clear chances as we are calling it with someone who gets no chances.
I don't disagree, but Kean doesn't get to start and I wonder if he flipped them we would see an improvement. I share the frustration with DCL, but he has come on a lot this season, it may be that he's hit a glass ceiling but it may also be that there's more to come. He does highlight the fickleness of football, a couple of months ago he was being touted as a MUFC target!

He's on fire but he's also missing a load of sitters at the same time. He should have had a hat-trick against Palace, and should have got at least 2 yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.