2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s going quite well but I refuse to get excited as things went well with Martinez and Koeman at first, I know Carlo is on another level to them but it’s going to take a long time for me to ever be optimistic again when it comes to Everton.

The key thing for me is that he’s enjoying his time here , I’m worried about how he’ll react to the crowd when things don’t go well for us.

I’ll never forget the look of bemusement on Koeman’s face at the hysteria when we beat Stoke 1-0 at Goodison. He was looking around clearly thinking “are these idiots for real”

IMO he downed tools that day, there was ridiculous money being floated about for ridiculous signings that he probably didn’t want , and the home fans were in hysterics despite a 1-0 scrappy win.

The key thing for me is that he’s enjoying his time here , I’m worried about how he’ll react to the crowd when things don’t go well for us.

I’ll never forget the look of bemusement on Koeman’s face at the hysteria when we beat Stoke 1-0 at Goodison. He was looking around clearly thinking “are these idiots for real”

IMO he downed tools that day, there was ridiculous money being floated about for ridiculous signings that he probably didn’t want , and the home fans were in hysterics despite a 1-0 scrappy win.

Im confused, are we not meant to enjoy winning games now?

First job he’s had for a while where he’s not under immediate pressure and the fans are in immediate adoration. When people ask why would he come to/stay at Everton, maybe the answer is simply he enjoys it. He’s already worshipped by the fans, he pretty much has a free swing for the length of his contract as long as he avoids relegation. If he achieves anything he’ll be an instant legend. He has time and resources to have a crack at the best comp in the world whilst others such as United Arsenal and Chelsea are in transition.

Compare that to Madrid where it was ‘win the CL or you’re fired’, and then he was fired even after winning it. Napoli where it was ‘play even better football than our favourite ever modern manager and unless you beat Juventus to the league you’re fired’. PSG ‘win everything or you’re fired’ and Bayern which was the same.

He’s probably getting a similar feeling he had in the early days of his career where he has time and space to work before he launched himself into the elite with Milan and it’s been constant pressure to driver ever since.

Good post mate. I put pretty similar a few pages back. I think there are a couple of factors here, firstly he is on his way down a bit which has brought him into our potential orbit. But I also think the realistic expectation and time he's been given must be nice.

Much as we like to think otherwise, we are not a super club. Barring probably 10 years post war we haven't been at the status of clubs he's managed over the last 2 decades. Where the expectation is, unless you win the league you've failed. That's what he had at certainly 4 of his last 5 jobs and arguably Milan and Juventus too. Thats the best part of 20 years, slogging it out in the rat race knowing there is an enormous immediacy.

My sense from him, is he is quite committed to the "project". The fact he's promoted several young players to train with the first team, given Anthony Gordon his debut, rejuvenated Kean and spoke about how there's no point signing superstars but we need to make superstars all hints at this.

I also think he probably looks at the squad, and see a squad that while not perfect was underachieving to be in the bottom 3. I know you are quite critical of aspects of the squad, but in a very ordinary league it was gross mismanagement for it to be in the relegation zone.

I have said before, I think Napoli will bitterly regret moving him on. He's followed 2 excellent managers there and kept them to a consistent level. I think they fall away and are showing all the signs of ourselves at the end under Moyes, where you knew it was an ageing team. Same as with Bayern, where he did fail, but again it's a very hard act to follow after Pep.

What I like about him is his simplicity in decision making. He's not trying to reinvent the wheel. We have binned off the ridiculous 3 (in reality 1) up front and has basically just given players jobs they are comfortable doing. He's not asking them to play like Barcelona or Manchester City. I think they look much happier.

He has made big decisions too. Most of us were ready to almost lynch Schneiderlin, but you know what, he's really getting a tune out of him. I don't know how long it lasts for, but he deserves credit.

So yes, he seems very comfortable. It's a decent squad of players, he will have more coming in come the summer, plus players returning from injury with a fanbase who will worship him if he can win any trophy.

Just whatched as flash back from 1989 where he scores a screamer against real Madrid. Hope he can get the midfield doing the same.

We haven't played well, We've won games but to have the current form and only losing one against Man City of all teams with THIS midfield? This guy is an absolute animal. I don't think other fans realize how dire our CM has been since Spurs game.
Couldn't agree more.

I enjoyed the Newcastle (h) performance the most but even then, it was in flashes rather than the game throughout.

Palace was very meh.

But as we are finding our feet, our Italian overlord is also racking up the points.

I'm still in semi-hysteria that he's our manager.

Couldn't agree more.

I enjoyed the Newcastle (h) performance the most but even then, it was in flashes rather than the game throughout.

Palace was very meh.

But as we are finding our feet, our Italian overlord is also racking up the points.

I'm still in semi-hysteria that he's our manager.

You and many other clubs and fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.