2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuses, then utter nonsense about ‘being hated for playing for England’. Then getting abuse at your home club. Then about getting his foot stuck in the turf.

I really don’t think he has the mental aptitude to excel at the top. I can’t remember any other top keepers ranting, rambling and making excuses when they have been making errors week in week out for a long time!

All top keepers have a dip in form but they keep their heads down and turn it around.

This fellas form has been poor for too long for him to be considered a good keeper at Prem level and his comments suggest to me he will never reach those heights.

I also worry that his back 4 have little faith or liking for him.

Has anyone seen the save at 2-1? I'm not justifying his error or his attitude but the save at 2-1 also may have won us the points
I believe he is here to stay, he's not everyones cup of tea but I remember the fans loving Thomas Myhre - yet he was an erratic clown on his day.

Myhre only went off the boil towards the end of his time here.

Equally, players cannot simply live in a bubble where 'everything is okay' and be completely exempt from any form of pressure and/or criticism.

Of course, it's a balancing act and unfortunately too many fans go too far, where it becomes counter productive, but he has to expect (and accept) being critiqued.

Saying stuff like this is only going to fuel the fire for those fans who are more overt or vocal with their criticism because he comes across as being obtuse.

Like I said earlier, he made a mistake and he should have taken it on the chin, and for most people that'll been the end of it; now, he's just making himself a target.

Exactly right, because of his moan are the press going to a) ease up on him or b) double down knowing there is a story to be had here?

He has made himself a target when all he had to do was get on and play football and know that no one is the finished article and you can always improve. That is all he needs to say. No one expects perfection and all keepers can let in a howler from time to time, just not once every 3/4 games.

I don't get the vilification. People deal with set backs in different ways and as a goalie, almost every error you make costs the team a goal. Not so of Holgate, Richarlison, DCL - all rightly lauded for their excellence, but the odd error just gets ignored. Well by the more discerning poster, anyway.

So Pickford comes across as arrogant and he made a mistake. He made one worldy save and some other good saves in the game, so not an entirely crap afternoon. He is still relatively young as a keeper and needs to learn to command the box, but other than that he's fine. Show me someone that has never made a mistake and I'll show you someone that never tried to do anything (it will be the same image).

Just maybe his way of dealing with an error is to bluff it out - to HIMSELF. We all have coping mechanisms, the club are on a great run and all we can do is moan and groan.

Don't mind him having a go at Neville either. Straight from the off at the World Cup he had it in for him and Pickford showed him up. So he's right to have a dig back.

Neville never said anything about him since.

He must be up there with the most unlikeable people on the planet

...lad I know at USM FF says he’s one of the few at that level these days who actually acknowledge the staff. Probably because he still goes for a pint with his old man in the local working man’s club in North East. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a bit daft, though.

i don’t dislike the lad, he is what he is but I’m not fond of the goalkeeper.

Rubbish - it highlights the fact that he is prone to error's over a significant period of time, even if the time period is selective to drive him to the top. Same period of time he also has the second worst save % in the PL.

He is an awful keeper who makes too many errors, isnt very good at saving the ball & has OK distribution.

He is save by the odd Supersave, but if looked at properly they only look so great because his positioning is so poor, this cost him the error on Saturday.

Sell, sell, sell before the Euro's if possible.

Don't see anything wrong with the lads character, many keepers would have been more affected by that error than he was. If anything he played better after that error than he has for the previous few games. He's young, he'll make mistakes, and he'll own those mistakes. He doesn't hold back in his own criticism which for me is a sign of a true professional. Hopefully our defence continues to improve and he can put a run of cleansheets together, for his own and more importantly our confidence.

Jordan Pickford, the young goal keeper who's head is so far up his own ass that he is above criticism.

He makes mistakes just as all human beings do and acknowledging said mistakes, accepting and taking on board justified criticism is what makes us improve where we need to and become better.

Not Jordan though as he is the England goalie and criticism is beneath him. It is about time he grew up and people stopped breast feeding him tbh.

He’s the Ross Barkley of goalkeepers for me.

All the talent and attributes to be a top level player, but lacking something between the ears.
I'm not bothered about his general intelligence, but I do think that he's lacking in the footballing intelligence department. We all acknowledge his brilliant reflexes.

Nevertheless, how many times have we seen him make rash decisions (come for ball... then stop etc.) and lack communication, which puts him in trouble.

Unless we spend mega money, it's one of those balancing acts because I think we'd struggle to get a better shot stopper: there aren't actually man out there.

However, would a replacement with more composure and control require less shot stopping ability because they'd be under less pressure? If that makes sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.