Should we give the RS a guard of honour? (poll)

Should we?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do people insist on loading this into everything to do with this topic?

No, none of us are happy about it. It's not about that, it's about what's right, what's best for the club.

If we don't do it, we are giving them more ammo than if we do actually do it.

In any case, I don't think it's going to be a problem we have to face.

What’s best for then club? Is not entertaining the idea of it mate

What’s best for then club? Is not entertaining the idea of it mate

Na if we do it we look utter beauts. And any fan of ours promoting it is a beaut aswell

To do it would be best for the club. It would mean swallowing some pride but it would demonstrate that we can show the traditional respect where it's due - purely on Footballing terms.

To not do it would reinforce the notion that the club are small time, that we're more bothered about them than ourselves. It would contribute to the attitude problem that already exists both within the club and the fanbase, one that has held us back for many years.

To do it would be best for the club. It would mean swallowing some pride but it would demonstrate that we can show the traditional respect where it's due - purely on Footballing terms.

To not do it would reinforce the notion that the club are small time, that we're more bothered about them than ourselves. It would contribute to the attitude problem that already exists both within the club and the fanbase, one that has held us back for many years.
Do you think if we swallow our pride and give them a guard of honor they will all of a sudden respect us? No. They will most likely say 'thanks little Everton'.

It's a nice idea that it will make us stronger friends. But why on gods earth do we need that?

Its a football rivalry, let's not get rid of the passion. Everyone acknowledges they are the best team this season they don't need us to join in with their celebrations.

Do you think if we swallow our pride and give them a guard of honor they will all of a sudden respect us? No. They will most likely say 'thanks little Everton'.

It's a nice idea that it will make us stronger friends. But why on gods earth do we need that?

Its a football rivalry, let's not get rid of the passion. Everyone acknowledges they are the best team this season they don't need us to join in with their celebrations.

No, but the goal here isn't to achieve their respect.

It's a no-win situation in many ways, but there are certainly ways we can 'lose' in this scenario.

No, but the goal here isn't to achieve their respect.

It's a no-win situation in many ways, but there are certainly ways we can 'lose' in this scenario.
Brave man taking all these on.

For me, it's all about this us vs. them mentality.

I've seen friends go to prison for football related violence, had the windows of the coach i was on smashed in, bricks thrown at me, have seen old people and children put in harms way by mindless idiots, all because of this us vs. them mentality that exists in football, and it's sickening.

The idea that people can't pay some respect where to is due, because of die-hard rivalry, is what fuels this mentality.

Do i like the red shites, no, do i want them to lose every game, yes. Will i give respect to any football team when they have had the season they have, and played the football they have, of course i will.

Brave man taking all these on.

For me, it's all about this us vs. them mentality.

I've seen friends go to prison for football related violence, had the windows of the coach i was on smashed in, bricks thrown at me, have seen old people and children put in harms way by mindless idiots, all because of this us vs. them mentality that exists in football, and it's sickening.

The idea that people can't pay some respect where to is due, because of die-hard rivalry, is what fuels this mentality.

Do i like the red shites, no, do i want them to lose every game, yes. Will i give respect to any football team when they have had the season they have, and played the football they have, of course i will.
I went through the voilence years too. Most of that has gone now compared to years ago. Who wants to go to prison for 3years for throwing a punch. Glad it's all gone. You could not help getting involved in it. I did my time.
But that is different from.paying respect. What respect have we had from them through the years. Hughes with his outburst. Heysel which did our club in. English teams were banned for 5 years. Guess which team went in when the ban was lifted. Yes them. They could have gained respect by saying blues you take our place this year cos you were the team affected by heysel
Klopp runs on the pitch last year to taunt us. They picks on a ballboy at goodison. Then after their champions League says when would anyone in Liverpool support everton when Liverpool are so successful. Don't mind that they don't want respect from us.
But don't expect me to respect them in any way at all. And I think if this goes ahead I could see serious trouble at this game
So please the people who say we should give them respect stop it now. If you want to respect them go to anfield or as they are planning a victory tour around the city(is that a first for League champions?) go to that

Last edited:

I went through the voilence years too. Most of that has gone now compared to years ago. Who wants to go to prison for 3years for throwing a punch. Glad it's all gone.
But that is different from.paying respect. What respect have we had from them through the years. Hughes with his outburst. Heysel which did our club in. English teams were banned for 5 years. Guess which team went in when the ban was lifted. Yes them. They could have gained respect by saying blues you take our place this year cos you were the team affected by heyse
Klopp runs on the pitch last year to taunt us. They picks on a ballboy at goodison. Then after their champions League days when would anyone in Liverpool support everton. Don't mind that they don't want respect from us.
But don't expect me to respect them in any way at all. And I think if this goes ahead I could see serious trouble at this game
So please the people who say we should give them respect stop it now. If you want to respect them go to anfield or as they are planning a victory tour around the city(is that a first for League champions?) go to that
FTR, I never, not once, actively seeked, or took part in any football related violence, didn't stop it from finding me, because of the mentality of fanatics.
Paying the team and players respect for their season, has nothing to do with history.

Mate, we shouldn't do it and I SERIOUSLY doubt they would do it for us when we win the league in a couple of seasons. ;)

I went through the voilence years too. Most of that has gone now compared to years ago. Who wants to go to prison for 3years for throwing a punch. Glad it's all gone. You could not help getting involved in it. I did my time.
But that is different from.paying respect. What respect have we had from them through the years. Hughes with his outburst. Heysel which did our club in. English teams were banned for 5 years. Guess which team went in when the ban was lifted. Yes them. They could have gained respect by saying blues you take our place this year cos you were the team affected by heysel
Klopp runs on the pitch last year to taunt us. They picks on a ballboy at goodison. Then after their champions League says when would anyone in Liverpool support everton when Liverpool are so successful. Don't mind that they don't want respect from us.

You're not paying respect to the club, you'd be paying respect to the team.

It's traditional in the same way that the pre-match handshakes are there to imply good conduct, fairness and sportsmanship. Those things don't always take place from both sides in Merseyside derbies, but the handshakes always take place.

The handshakes are important because they show mutual respect from the players as professionals. The handshakes aren't forced either. If players choose not to shake hands, they could do, but what sort of message would that send to our fanbase and theirs.

I don't see why you're mentioning violence, violence should never ever come into a game of Football and I'd hope we all agree on that. This is a Football match, it's not war. I've young family members who are red and young family members who are blue, some of whom will be at the derby.

It's a rivalry and passion is important but the likelihood is that there will only be one scouser on the pitch, one actual fan of either side. It's ultimately a game, played by a maximum of 28 professionals, the vast majority of whom have no loyalty or attachment to either club beyond a paid contract of employment.

I don't think it's an issue to show respect to winners. We're not sore losers. And that's precisely how we'll be portrayed if the club were to give it a miss.

I fully expect that Ancelotti and the intelligent people at the club would appreciate that and, if the cards fall in such a way and the scenario raises it's ugly head, it will happen. I'm certain of it.

I SERIOUSLY doubt they would do it for us

That's not a good enough reason for us not to do it now.

FTR, I never, not once, actively seeked, or took part in any football related violence, didn't stop it from finding me, because of the mentality of fanatics.
Paying the team and players respect for their season, has nothing to do with history.
When you want away games seventies and eighties voilence was always there whether you on not you looked for it. Sometimes you just had to defend yourself. But that has gone and it's good that it has gone
And paying respect is all about history. I hate them and don't want anything.to do with them. I laid out a couple of options if you want to pay them respect so its anfield or the bus tour for this who want to respect them for me. Me I want us to tear into them with the crowd on their backs and hopefully show them respect by beating them.
And ftr they are a good team but no where near as good as their 70s or early 80s team. And I never showed that lot any respect eithet

Status
Not open for further replies.