January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can. As in fans. And that's what this always boils down to. People get impatient because they want to see the youngsters, so they can make their own mind up on them. When people say 'how will we know how good they are if we don't play them' what they mean is 'how will I, as an individual, know'. How the club will know is by watching them in training.
You can try and be clever if you want mate. I'm telling you as somebody with experience of coaching professional sportspeople that you can improve at the age of 18 without being exposed to senior professional matches. It's just a fact.
And I'm telling you that he should at a minimum be playing matches somewhere (even if it's u23s) because not playing will do him no good and that if we have already decided he's ready to play above the u23s than he needs to be used or loaned because again going months without playing a real match is bad. Training is great but if the goal is to play real football matches at some point players need that experience.

Why would we be comparing our signings to Tosun, a player we desperately want rid of because he's not good enough?

Is King better than DCL or Richarlison? Does he have a higher ceiling than Kean? Since the answers are no, that's a pointless signing.

We play 2 up top

We therefore need 4 strikers realistically

We currently have 3 - one of those is a wide player and the other 2 kids one of which has scored 1 goal in about 20 games.

I clearly said King as cover/rotation would be a good deal which it would.

Wont be happening like but if the money was there I would be happy with that rather than Tosun/Niasse getting time on the pitch.

Would he not be doing that when he gets in our squad?

We have three wingers if we keep Richarlison up front and get rid of Gordon.

That doesn't seem like the brightest idea to me.

Is keeping him here for four months going to mean he never develops into a quality player? I highly doubt it.

If he's going to make it then at most you could say this is a short term delay before he gets loaned out next season.
I think the difference we have here is I don't see the point of delaying his development for 4 months to have him as emergency cover for a nothing season.

I can guarantee you that the keep list will be a lot shorter than the in the bin list

The issue is there is a limit to how much you can get rid of in one window. I mean I am sure there are time constrains on Brands et al at the very least. More pertinent though is the issue that very few teams will want our players. We have paid big wages to attract people here, and players have then shown disappointing form. Had we been where Leicester are, and regularly around the top 4/5/6 then some of our lesser players may have attracted some interest. However most of the league will be looking at our players, and our league positioning and thinking our bets players are no better than theirs, never mind our caste offs (who will still be now ages above many of their players).

So it's difficult. It requires compromise all ways round. One of them is that Ancelotti will have to work with people who he may not ideally want in the medium term. Partly to try and make them more marketable.

I do think as fans we have to see the bigger picture a little more too. I mean Scheniderlin was excellent against Newcastle. This isn't a player that can be lumped in with Niasse or Martina. He is inconsistent, in truth probably unprofessional and not the sort of character we want associated to the football club, but can he do a job in the short term? Probably. That will be whats set out to Ancelotti.

It's slowly improving. Hopefully Tosun does something at Palace that makes them want to keep him on as well.

There's no easy solutions though. We have tied ourselves up in knots with poor recruitment. While I think FFP laws are a disgrace, and can be navigated, you have to at least pay some sort of lip service to them. So I can understand Brands's caution in the January windows. It's not like we haven't been busy and signed players in the summer.

The only way I would see it as an issue would be if their body wasn't fully developed yet. Michael Owen suffered from playing too much too young as it wrecked his body. So long as they are physically capable I say get them in games ASAP
No there are loads of reasons. You might think somebody has great talent, but needs to work on specific things to get better. You might decide that they are better working on this in training, with your own coaches, than going out on loan. You might think that an 18 year old moving a couple of hundred miles from home for 6 months isn't the right thing for their personal development. You might think they aren't physically ready for senior football and if exposed to it will concentrate too much on competing physically rather than developing the skills you want them to. Youth development is a complicated field, and all young players are different. There isn't a right and wrong way.

I understand the points makes this enticing but there are 9 teams competing for 5th to 7th and we are starting the race 3rd from last. It is a low percentage chance.
There’s 42 points left to play for. Just need some consistency
We play 2 up top

We currently have 3 - one of those is a wide player and the other 2 kids one of which has scored 1 goal in about 20 games.

Wont be happening like but if the money was there I would be happy with that rather than Tosun/Niasse getting time on the pitch.
Spending £20 million on a 28 year old back up striker would be idiotic

And I'm telling you that he should at a minimum be playing matches somewhere (even if it's u23s) because not playing will do him no good and that if we have already decided he's ready to play above the u23s than he needs to be used or loaned because again going months without playing a real match is bad. Training is great but if the goal is to play real football matches at some point players need that experience.
For an extended period of time that would be true. For a couple of months it isn't.

We play 2 up top

Who’s the wide player? Don’t even think about saying Richarlison.

No there are loads of reasons. You might think somebody has great talent, but needs to work on specific things to get better. You might decide that they are better working on this in training, with your own coaches, than going out on loan. You might think that an 18 year old moving a couple of hundred miles from home for 6 months isn't the right thing for their personal development. You might think they aren't physically ready for senior football and if exposed to it will concentrate too much on competing physically rather than developing the skills you want them to. Youth development is a complicated field, and all young players are different. There isn't a right and wrong way.

I'm not talking about loaning them out, I'm talking about playing them in your own team

If they look like they can do a job and the incumbent player is wank then I see no reason not to give them a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.