January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Poor signings can be made at any time. People keep saying 'well we ended up with Walcott and Tosun last time...'. Yeah and that was so much worse than when we did business in the summer and got Klaasen, Bolasie and Sandro wasn't it? Just picking random transfers and saying it shows why doing business in January is bad makes no sense, there's 10 times more examples from the summer windows.
As a club we have an exceptionally bad record in January transfers - you have to go back to John Stones to find the last good one.

Since then we've brought in:

McGeady
Niasse
Schneiderlin
Lookman
Tosun
Walcott

View attachment 77806

I posted this in the wrong group, so throwing it in here too. The lad has got a cracking name tbf, but saw he's been at Leeds in the past, and didn't make it there. Probably file under snidey rumour

Didn't make it at Leeds? i thought he played in most of the games he was there and then wanted to move on. I'm not sure it was Leeds choice as such.

Literally every transfer they've made in the last 3 years will back me up.
You’re out there defending Brands in one thread and then in here saying every signing Man Utd have made over the past 3 years hasn’t strengthened them, yet Brands has been here for nearly two years and we haven’t managed to finish above Man Utd during that time.

If Man Utd are stagnating/regressing with signings and we’re supposed to be improving under Brands, why aren’t we competitive with them?

Before you say we’re only 4 points behind them now, we all know that will increase come May. So it’ll be two seasons out of two for Brands in which we haven’t finished above a crisis-hit Man Utd.

People get a bit ratty on here as the end of the window approaches... as the opening of the window approaches... and when the window is shut... apart from that they are fine... apart from during the rest of the window... obviously.

Once we get to Sat with none or one signing, then people will start with the ‘we don’t need anyone anyway’ or ‘ no one was available’ shouts, and if we sign 4/5 panic buy duds on Friday, they are ‘exactly what we need’ and ‘great signings’.

I wish they’d just bin the windows off, I don’t see anything positive about them at all.

You’re out there defending Brands in one thread and then in here saying every signing Man Utd have made over the past 3 years hasn’t strengthened them, yet Brands has been here for nearly two years and we haven’t managed to finish above Man Utd during that time.

If Man Utd are stagnating/regressing with signings and we’re supposed to be improving under Brands, why aren’t we competitive with them?

Before you say we’re only 4 points behind them now, we all know that will increase come May. So it’ll be two seasons out of two for Brands in which we haven’t finished above a crisis-hit Man Utd.

Don’t be making sense fella.

they will comfortably finish 10+ points ahead of us, Brands is neglecting this season now he’s wrote it off

As a club we have an exceptionally bad record in January transfers - you have to go back to John Stones to find the last good one.

Since then we've brought in:

McGeady
Niasse
Schneiderlin
Lookman
Tosun
Walcott
And if that was completely out of keeping with our recent record when conducting summer business it would be circumstantial evidence that buying in January is not a good idea. As it's not though, it's not.

Can I borrow your crystal ball when you're done?

When Brands came aboard were the relative positions of Everton and Manchester United in terms of wage budget, transfer budget, competition status to attract players,manager players want to come for and deadwood from former regimes to strip out comparable?

And if that was completely out of keeping with our recent record when conducting summer business it would be circumstantial evidence that buying in January is not a good idea. As it's not though, it's not.

It isn't a reason not to do business, more of an observation about how bad our previous regimes have been in this market.

I think largely the "type" of player available in January is the issue - it's either players who are unwanted by their current club or ones where you have to pay a big premium to get them. You don't get too many where there's real value for money, aside from the ones where their contracts are running down and they are available for lower fees as a result.

These have been a really boring few days with no new or exciting rumours, but it will be worth it on Thursday night and Friday as new unexpected ins and outs emerge randomly!

View attachment 77806

I posted this in the wrong group, so throwing it in here too. The lad has got a cracking name tbf, but saw he's been at Leeds in the past, and didn't make it there. Probably file under snidey rumour

He was boss in my Fifa 19 career mode for Sampdoria.

I did pair him up with Mo Besic though so...

All we need is a 6 foot 6 regen striker and we will win the league next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.