January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is more than the timing of January often co-incides with the right player not being available. And purchasing anyway has led us down this garden path.

The players we should be after won't be available in January 9/10 because they should be the best players in their respective sides, who won't want said player leaving mid-term.

I agree on the point regarding the euros but do we want to be spending big money on players motivated purely by a tournament in a summer?

We aren't going down and so in my mind we now have to take stock and spend very carefully.

I get what you are saying but don't necessarily agree. For every Schniederlin there is a Suarez and it's not always the case that the players we are after will be the best in their current sides. Pienaar, Arteta and Lukaku for example were not the best in their sides at the time.

Either way as long as they know what they are doing we will be fine.

CB we need quality. Gomes and Gbamin, write off anything else is a bonus. The rest are championship players. So CM is a must. Upfront kean 50/50 all to prove. DCL had a good few weeks with goals but has still stunk at times, all to prove still in my opinion. That leaves niasse. CF is a must.

Wingers and full backs are not as urgent, but can definitely be improved on. Same for GK.

If we finish the window with just Tosun out, two injuries later we could be in real trouble.

He played one and a half games... I don't think that's enough to form a judgement.

I’m not saying bin him, I just remember he was literally the worst player on the field for one of those appearances. Many are acting like we have midfield savior rehabbing when there is a decent possibility a fully fit gbamin is no better than Delph. I hope I’m wrong and he’s quality, but I just hope our midfield recruitment this January isn’t swayed by him coming back.

I’m not saying bin him, I just remember he was literally the worst player on the field for one of those appearances. Many are acting like we have midfield savior rehabbing when there is a decent possibility a fully fit gbamin is no better than Delph. I hope I’m wrong and he’s quality, but I just hope our midfield recruitment this January isn’t swayed by him coming back.

He came on for Gomes in the Palace game I think and was way off the pace. But he said himself (and Silva also) that he wasn't ready for that game. Schneiderlin getting himself sent off didn't help him either.

Watford the next week I thought he looked fine.

HASENHUTTL ON JANUARY WINDOW

Southampton
boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has been speaking on the January transfer window and here's what he's got to say.

He said: “It’s still the same behaviour. We are looking for a package that fits for us in the moment. The only that changed is that we are now performing better.

“The problem in the winter transfer window is that if you sign a player and he is not really used to the philosophy we play, it takes mostly one to two months until he’s on that level.

“As you know we have three or four months to go until the end [of the season] and it doesn’t make sense to loan somebody until the end of the season and then he’s going without an option to buy.

“And the rest, buying in the winter is not so easy. This makes it very difficult but when we find a package that fits to us, when we have an option to buy this guy in the summer, then it makes sense. We are looking.”

Can somebody get Brands number to him? He can have Naisse for wages only until the end of the season then buy him for free if he wishes, with no compulsory buy clause - great deal there fella!

I think it's that sort of short-term fix mentality that has hurt us so much in previous seasons. And then subsequently left us with such a weird squad.

We desperately needed a striker under Sam - bring in Tosun who is now on loan at Palace and we are desperate now to get rid.

Theo Walcott - bought in Jan - look at him now.

Schneiderlin - bought in Jan wasn't he? I may be remembering that wrong. Other than a 6 month spell he's been an unmitigated disaster.

Niasse was a January purchase I think? No further context needed.

I'd be fine with an 8-10th place finish this season, given where we are, if it meant the right people are brought in the summer early for Carlo to work with.

We need to stop thinking we can just fix everything with money. We can't.
If I could give that more than one like I would.

He came on for Gomes in the Palace game I think and was way off the pace. But he said himself (and Silva also) that he wasn't ready for that game. Schneiderlin getting himself sent off didn't help him either.

Watford the next week I thought he looked fine.
Yeah he was well of the pace he came with an injury and had no pre season. We seem all the time experienced players who been in this league come on as sub and struggle to get up to the pace of the game. The Watford game he was more than fine. Unfortunately this season will just he bedding in and getting use to the league. Next season we can probably judge him. But my opinion I think he will come good for us.

I don't think we will see Gomes until next season, but at least it looks as if he will be completely ready for pre season by July.

Gbamin will be ready shortly and should be competing with Schneiderlin, Delph and Sigurdsson for central midfield.

Tom Davies is playing a deeper role because we are short on numbers but when everybody is fit I think he will play further forward.

I have no doubt we have bids in for players we would like to bring to the club and they may happen but probably not this month or at least not until the very end of the month.

We could see a loan for somebody like Emre Can, not getting a game at Juve so getting they may be glad to save on wages. He knows the Premiership and also the City as well as a number of players at possibly Everton but certainly Liverpool so settling should be easier.
It would give Everton a chance to sign him on loan with maybe an option.... if Everton have any interest, if Juve are prepared to let the player leave, if the player would be prepared to come back to play for a rival team.

I don't think we will see Gomes until next season, but at least it looks as if he will be completely ready for pre season by July.

Gbamin will be ready shortly and should be competing with Schneiderlin, Delph and Sigurdsson for central midfield.

Tom Davies is playing a deeper role because we are short on numbers but when everybody is fit I think he will play further forward.

I have no doubt we have bids in for players we would like to bring to the club and they may happen but probably not this month or at least not until the very end of the month.

We could see a loan for somebody like Emre Can, not getting a game at Juve so getting they may be glad to save on wages. He knows the Premiership and also the City as well as a number of players at possibly Everton but certainly Liverpool so settling should be easier.
It would give Everton a chance to sign him on loan with maybe an option.... if Everton have any interest, if Juve are prepared to let the player leave, if the player would be prepared to come back to play for a rival team.

The Guardian had him saying he wouldn't go to United due to being at Liverpool... I reckon we probably fall in the same category.

25 first team players + entire academy are not enough if we have to sell every players who have some bad games or make some errors after we lost or just draw.
We will not survive lol

Status
Not open for further replies.