2019/20 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to some Arsenal season ticket holders the other day about Iwobi. As a number 10 they all agreed he would be a great player, but worryingly all believe as a winger he wouldn't cut it. I'm hoping they are wrong, but I think I can see their point.
I have spoken to several Arsenal fans and if you mentioned the word `great' about Iwobi everyone of them would fall on the floor in histerics. They have all to a man shook their head in disbelief that we paid substantial money for a lad whos not going to make an impact at top 6 level.

I rate him.. but as I've said before, I think he's fallen victim to a bit of 'missing identity' and he isn't the first player to suffer this. His 'best/most effective' position and/or role is still a bit up in the air. There's a player in him though like.

I rate him.. but as I've said before, I think he's fallen victim to a bit of 'missing identity' and he isn't the first player to suffer this. His 'best/most effective' position and/or role is still a bit up in the air. There's a player in him though like.
He's a bit like Ross or Mousa Dembele was in that he's started his career miscast as an attacking midfield type when he probably is best suited playing a tad deeper where he has a bit more space. But part of moving there requires development of abilities out of possession, something Dembele did do but Ross did not.

How many players have we had who draw the comment "there is a player in there somewhere"? Too many I think, but give Carlo time to see if he is worth keeping or not. I think he is hopeless but I am a mere nonentity whose opinion is not worth a light.

I'm a fan personally, That 1-0 win against Arsenal last season he was the ONLY player who looked Arsenal's biggest threat and he came on at like 60-70 mins iirc, It'll be interesting to see where he goes now if we're actually moving to 4-4-2, I think he can work as a right winger but he'll need someone better than Coleman that is for sure, Very experienced for a 23 year old I think he'll come good.

I watched him a ton at Arsenal and this is exactly what I expected. He can be useful as a direct central midfielder, but he doesn’t have the composure to really play anywhere else at a consistent level. We may be able to rotate him in as that secondish striker/ no. 10 but he is a waste out wide.

I have spoken to several Arsenal fans and if you mentioned the word `great' about Iwobi everyone of them would fall on the floor in histerics. They have all to a man shook their head in disbelief that we paid substantial money for a lad whos not going to make an impact at top 6 level.

Arsenal fans are great at judging players ... they were laughing when they sold Ox to Liverpool.....

I watched him a ton at Arsenal and this is exactly what I expected. He can be useful as a direct central midfielder, but he doesn’t have the composure to really play anywhere else at a consistent level. We may be able to rotate him in as that secondish striker/ no. 10 but he is a waste out wide.
How do you make the time to "watch a ton" of Arsenal and watch us?

In his career, including all cup games and internationals, he has played 169 times (over 75% as a starting player). In that time he has scored 17 goals and made 23 assists. Not great stats for an attacking player, let alone a proposed starting no. 10.

I wouldn't sweat that.... pienaar got player of the year playing a similar way. One pass shy of the assist etc

Just curious, maybe it was the "ton of Arsenal" that drew attention. I watch "a ton of Everton" but that is to be expected of an Everton fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.