January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ake would certainly fit our trend of buying from relegation teams. From what I've seen, not worth the prices quoted - Sigurddson style.
My biggest issue here is this. I've said before we need to stop buying from teams who struggle each season unless there is an exceptional case eg Gana 7m clause.

I do like Ake though.

Not only we could, but it's the sort of sale the club need to be doing a lot more of with our young players.

The whole point of the academy is for this reason. We keep the exceptional ones and sell others at decent prices. For some reasons fans want to keep hold of every young player. The reality is that barely any have been good enough recently and the likes of Dowell etc. who people wanted in the first team is struggling in the championship. There’s not been any player we’ve let go ‘downwards’ who has come back to bite us playing at a higher level.

The whole point of the academy is for this reason. We keep the exceptional ones and sell others at decent prices. For some reasons fans want to keep hold of every young player. The reality is that barely any have been good enough recently and the likes of Dowell etc. who people wanted in the first team is struggling in the championship. There’s not been any player we’ve let go ‘downwards’ who has come back to bite us playing at a higher level.

And our pride re Lookman probably cost us 5 million in terms of fee, and maybe 2 million in terms of wages, plus development time that could have been better spent.

Get lads out on decent loans, and if they do well move them on.

I know we look at selling academy talents as a real negative. The sales of Jeffers, Ball, Rooney + Rodwell sustained the club for a decade.

And our pride re Lookman probably cost us 5 million in terms of fee, and maybe 2 million in terms of wages, plus development time that could have been better spent.

I know we look at selling academy talents as a real negative. The sales of Jeffers, Ball, Rooney + Rodwell sustained the club for a decade.
. Agree even do similar to what chelsea did with ake agree a fee to buy them back and sell on fee. Even if we sell kenny could look to sign him back at fixed price if doing good

Potentially Gomes and Gbamin but we will be lucky to see either again this season at full pelt. Davies is a squad player. Sig/Morgan and Delph are all not up to standard. We need a midfielder with power and pace and leadership ability in there.
I've been saying this too. We need a monster in CM, let Gblammin and Gomes fight for the other spot. Who knows if either will even be the same player when they come back.

Weren't Lundstram, Jagielka, Dier, Duffy, Baines and Mustafi in our youth system at one point ? I guess you might say they haven't bitten us.

And if they had stayed a bit longer we might have a trophy or 2 more

Maybe my memory is clouded but I swear one of his better attributes when playing for us was his ability to whip in wicked early crosses and put it on a platter for the likes of Lukaku and co

I recall him doing this a lot at the start of Martinez's third season.

Ake's size is a concern at under 6 foot for a centre half. Plus the fact he's currently playing in the worst defence in the league.

Add that up and ask whether he is truly worth £40m? Much better available for that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.