January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about this window, but much as they may deserve it, those players represent a substantial investment which the club has to try to get something from. If they're all cast into purdah then any interested club will slash their valuation, because they'll know how desperate we are to get rid.

Better to keep them engaged until the point there's an acceptable bid on the table. Get what you can out of them, even if it's just cover for a position or a body to face in a training match, then part company asap.

Hear what you’re saying, but those 5 are all BAD investments.

Of course, the club has to handle carefully to mitigate losses, but I honestly cannot see how we could get a positive outcome from any of them.

None of them are going up from here. The only way is down & there won’t be any club that will match the wages they’re on here. The only chance of that would be if they would go to China.

The cup disgrace has changed my opinion on this window completely.

Had we accepted Klopp’s gift & been in the 4th round, I was desperate for us to really go for it with statement signings. “Hames” on loan etc.. & go all out to win the Cup.

Now I’d prefer we take a more considered long term approach. Only bring in young players, who we can develop.

I want Ancelotti to show absolute ruthlessness with the current wasters. Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Tosun, Walcott, Keane told to find new clubs in this window, as they won’t be selected again & won’t train with the squad.

Even with our crap squad & injuries now, we’ve got enough to finish the season without missing those 5.

Hope we can bring a couple in, but not if they’re panic buys.
Think this is spot on now we are out of the cup. May need a couple of loans at CB and CM but don't believe now we should be wasting huge money on panic buys to see out the season.
Very easy saying get rid of a long list of players but after watching them the weekend would you be prepared to have them in your squad. Seems we have more deadwood now than we had before Brands and silva came in n started to get rid of some.

Massive job in hand, even bigger than I expected

The problem we have is that we have absolutely no chance of getting rid of Sigurdsson, Tosun, Schneiderlin, Walcott, Iwobi or Keane before their contracts expire.

Why? Their wages are far too high and nobody will offer them anywhere close to what we pay them. If I could bet on that I would.

The problem we have is that we have absolutely no chance of getting rid of Sigurdsson, Tosun, Schneiderlin, Walcott, Iwobi or Keane before their contracts expire.

Why? Their wages are far too high and nobody will offer them anywhere close to what we pay them. If I could bet on that I would.
There are ways. Sigurssdson is "worth" £25m and payed £100k a week. Club X wants him but can only pay £50k a week. So we sell him to them for £25m and pay half his wages over a 3 year contract, meaning we effectively sell him for £17m and they don't break their wage structure.

Rabiot is a much better player than Gomes. MUCH better.

What has he done in the past year to prove it?

He downed tools at PSG and Juve's ceo said the other day he was unfit when he came.

He's made 10 Serie A appearances for Juve. No goals, no assists.Three more appearances in the CL.

Was left out of the France squad for 2018 WC because his form was poor for PSG.

He just doesn't really do much other than look nice and sharp when he passes.

Sure, it's an improvement on what we have right at this very moment because of injuries, but for the money... nah, not worth it.

If he came I'd get fully behind him but we're desperately crying out for a player who can make stuff happen higher up the pitch. Not just a glorified crab.

That why I dont agree with the fans who say dont get on the players back on the pitch. They need to know its not acceptable to sponge off the club.

I don't think we'll be planning on trying to get rid of Iwobi any time soon.

Some of those will go only with motivated sales terms on our behalf. Remember though, every £5k a week saved is a quarter of a million a year that we can put towards someone better. Some of those you mention are so poor that I only see them as a drain on our resources rather than having any potential use - it might just be a case of lessening the flow in the outgoings column.

I don't think we'll be planning on trying to get rid of Iwobi any time soon.
Iwobi won't be leaving and neither will Walcott. They aren't a problem, in that they at least try and get either themselves or the ball forward. The problem is the slow, lazy players.

Slowly slowly catch a monkey. Staying in the prem is the priority then take the whole squad on a team building exercise solo parachute jumping over the Andies.:). Only one parachute for the pilot required. Ordinarily the best way is to buy the best young talent and make it project. Only problem is the constant pressure to stay in the league. Only abut 4 clubs have any real ambition to win the league the rest are just glad to be here. Managers only get sacked when there's a chance of relagation.

What has he done in the past year to prove it?

He downed tools at PSG and Juve's ceo said the other day he was unfit when he came.

He's made 10 Serie A appearances for Juve. No goals, no assists.Three more appearances in the CL.

Was left out of the France squad for 2018 WC because his form was poor for PSG.

He just doesn't really do much other than look nice and sharp when he passes.

Sure, it's an improvement on what we have right at this very moment because of injuries, but for the money... nah, not worth it.

If he came I'd get fully behind him but we're desperately crying out for a player who can make stuff happen higher up the pitch. Not just a glorified crab.

I dunno if 2019 is a fair season to judge Rabiot. He was suspended by PSG till his Juve move and then has played a bit for Juve now he’s fit again. You can target his goals/assists but Gomes is hardly prolific in either of these.

Football might be about stats but not all of the best midfielders scored/assisted often.

Hear what you’re saying, but those 5 are all BAD investments.

Of course, the club has to handle carefully to mitigate losses, but I honestly cannot see how we could get a positive outcome from any of them.

None of them are going up from here. The only way is down & there won’t be any club that will match the wages they’re on here. The only chance of that would be if they would go to China.

China has changed their foreign player rules recently, that gravy train for wasters like ours is over

Status
Not open for further replies.