Match Thread Everton v Burnley - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He did get relegated big time. But they stuck with him for some reason, he got them back up from a dire league, then got them seventh in an even direr league, seeing them reach the mighty heights of the Europa League third qualifying round second referendum group stage qualifier, before losing to Sporting Gryffindor and then making an utter bin juice start to the new season, with Ful, Hud and Cardiff somehow being worse and making him look good.
This. He’s been bailed out by some seriously bad teams in that league. Forgot he got relegated before too!

Burnley manager Sean Dyche told Amazon:

"We knew it would be awkward and we thought there would be a response. First half, we quelled that response and there was nothing of real consequence.
"We had a golden chance from a fee-kick but maybe it would have been disallowed. In the second half, we tried to bring something to the game but we got done by a sucker punch. It was a really poor giveaway and they capitalised.
"Ashley Barnes we are having to manage. He has a groin situation and we have two games in three days so we are trying to monitor the players. We kept it tight and some of our defending was excellent so a lot of good signs from that. We did not open them up as many times as we would hope, and when we did, that final detail was disappointing."

Burnley manager Sean Dyche told Match of the Day:
"I thought we coped with it [Ancelotti's first game]. We quelled the game in the first half which was the game plan because we thought they would play with energy. We never really looked in too much trouble and then we wanted to progress in the second half. It was a giveaway in the second half and they nicked it.
"It was a poor mistake, Dwight [McNeil] was trying to play inside football and it was not on. He is a fantastic footballer and he will learn. Our two centre-halves were excellent today and I was pleased with the defensive side of the team. We know we have to work for those collective moments of quality in the final third, but it was a good ball in and a great finish to credit them [Everton].
"We think we have got quality and we have shown that at times but some days it is softer than others. Chris [Wood] had a great chance but I think it was just offside. The next pass and the next detail is what we are trying to consistently improve on."
The fella is deluded that type of performance and style of football is only acceptable at a club with no ambition other than making the numbers up and staying in the league hopefully they go down and are replaced by a proper club like Leeds

Ancelotti
I think the spirit of the team was good today. It was a special game with a lot of long balls but we defended well. We tried to do some combinations up-front but were a bit slow... In the end the performance was good - not top, but good

Ancelotti on Burnley
We expected this kind of game with a lot of long balls & fight. They are a good team. They adapted really well in the first half with our shape.

Ancelotti
Today for me was really special because the reception was fantastic. The atmosphere, the Premier League it didn't change. The people that come to the stadium enjoy football so the league is always the same.

Ancelotti on Dominic Calvert-Lewin
He's a fantastic striker in my opinion, good with his head. Where he can improve is in his movement. He has to be more focused in the centre of the box

The fella is deluded that type of performance and style of football is only acceptable at a club with no ambition other than making the numbers up and staying in the league hopefully they go down and are replaced by a proper club like Leeds
Came for the draw with no attempt to win the game it looked like,supposedly only 1 shot on target in 3 games,and almost acting as though they were unlucky today,in that sense the goal for us been late -they were,but in not any other as we looked the only winners

Status
Not open for further replies.