January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar was said about us getting Ancelotti.
Ancelotti has won the lot...koulibaly nada...so I am sure if he has a bit of ambition bearing in mind that he is turning 29 in a few months he will sign for a team challenging for titles. Ancelotti is on probably his last job before retirement so nothing to lose really and a lot to gain especially financially.

My gut feeling is Ancelotti will want players with more experience. A short sharp boost to get us to top 6/4 at the end of 18 months, then more long term planning.

That's what the likes of Mertens and Callejon (and to a degree Nzonzi) would satisfy that for us.

In terms of costs, as they are out of contract, they would also not be extortionate either.

As a club we've had some success with over 30s. I can see sense in it.

I was very impressed with Mertens at Anfield s well.
We have? When have we signed a player over 30 that was a success?

Undoubtedly he has quality but those ‘team of XYZ’ can be misleading sometimes. How will what he brings to the table benefit our team as it is currently?

How can a player being voted in the Italian version of their PFA team of the year -- four seasons in a row -- be misleading?

Koulibaly hasn't been sacked to my knowledge

Apparently hes been promised a move this summer and has asked to leave in January due to Ancelotti leaving.

Watched him once or twice mate.

Was just trying to trigger Zat.

Looks a big strong unit, bit concerned at his age and the price he would cost, but other than that I would take him tomorrow.

Sadly Kalidou has read your post and now Brands faces an uphill struggle to sign him.

My gut feeling is Ancelotti will want players with more experience. A short sharp boost to get us to top 6/4 at the end of 18 months, then more long term planning.

That's what the likes of Mertens and Callejon (and to a degree Nzonzi) would satisfy that for us.

In terms of costs, as they are out of contract, they would also not be extortionate either.

As a club we've had some success with over 30s. I can see sense in it.

I was very impressed with Mertens at Anfield s well.

Lets say we signed Koulibaly + Mertens + Callejon.

Koulibaly we would likely aim for a 5.5 year deal taking him into his 34th birthday.

If we brought in the other two on 1.5 year contracts they would be 34 already and we'd need to replace them. Not to mention they may need this season to adapt...

So we'd be bringing in expensive stopgaps for next season really...not sure its worth it.

Even with Carlo here it will be hard to sign players like Koulibaly, we should be looking at someone affordable like Tarkowski imo. I also think we need to be looking at a centre mid, Davies just isn’t good enough for me, tries to play like gerrard with 1/100th of the ability

So a small few a long time ago.

I don’t believe your question was ‘how many out of our total signings have been over thirty’

you asked when we have. I gave you three examples which are within most people’s relatively recent memories. One of which is the second best goalkeeper I’ve seen play for us, the other two are solid fan favourites.

As an aside - you’re saying no to Zlatan then? He’s ancient.

Adrian Rabiot wants out of Juve apparently and could be available on loan initialy, Rabiot was signed for PSG by Ancelotti and made his debut as a 17 year old.

Is tight with our Luca as well.

Last edited:
I don’t believe your question was ‘how many out of our total signings have been over thirty’

you asked when we have. I gave you three examples which are within most people’s relatively recent memories. One of which is the second best goalkeeper I’ve seen play for us, the other two are solid fan favourites.

As an aside - you’re saying no to Zlatan then? He’s ancient.

I didn't ask anything, different poster

Adrian Rabiot wants out of Juve apparently and could be available on loan initialy, Rabiot was signed for PSG by Ancelotti and made his debut as a 17 year old.

Is tight with our Luca as well.
View attachment 74865

Hes not played for them much!

If memory serves me its about 3 starts and 4 sub.

Juve with their usual trick of signing top class free agents...would be a fantastic signing. Would know Digne (as you say) and also Sidibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.